Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: MLB rename the “Disabled List”

  1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    3,652
    Rep Power
    20

    MLB rename the “Disabled List”

    Another victory for political correctness as MLB does away with the “DL” ;

    Jeff Passan noted MLB is instituting the change "out of concern that the term 'disabled' for injured players falsely conflates disabilities with injuries and an inability to participate in sports."
    There must be no other pressing concerns at MLB.

  2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,168
    Archived
    20,351
    Total Posts
    23,519
    Rep Power
    52
    I don't care about sports.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

  3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    2,362
    Archived
    4,183
    Total Posts
    6,545
    Rep Power
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Another victory for political correctness as MLB does away with the “DL” ;

    Jeff Passan noted MLB is instituting the change "out of concern that the term 'disabled' for injured players falsely conflates disabilities with injuries and an inability to participate in sports."
    There must be no other pressing concerns at MLB.
    When these things happen, I always wonder if its actually the people that are affected (in this case, disabled people) that complain, or is it just random goody two shoes who are eternally offended or outraged and think they speak on behalf of the affected group.

  4. Top | #4
    Member Tharmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    439
    Archived
    184
    Total Posts
    623
    Rep Power
    67
    As a disabled person, I have no quarrel with the term. It's accurate and descriptive. I also refer to myself as handicapped. "Differently abled" jars. There are simply things I can't do, like run. I have no abilities that compensate for that.

  5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    8,995
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    18,509
    Rep Power
    44
    Eh, there's no harm in making the term more accurate.

  6. Top | #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cabarete, Dominican Republic
    Posts
    85
    Archived
    201
    Total Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    55
    I'm sorry. Could you please explain again how this negatively affects your life?

  7. Top | #7
    Member Godless Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vulgaria - Canada
    Posts
    294
    Archived
    10,293
    Total Posts
    10,587
    Rep Power
    47
    It was only a few years ago "we" were being told by "them" that you can't call a disabled person disabled. Now you can't call the list of non-able bodied players disabled because...why? What in the fuck? What do these retards think the opposite of able bodied is? Let's just call it the "Super Able - They Can Do Anything Even Better Than Ever - Fucking Amazing Bedazzled Players List"!

    Fucking Nutters. PC police can shove an AIDs infected dildo up their walnut cracking asses and spin around screaming all the words they don't want other people to say....preferably in a sound proof closet.

  8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    2,335
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    When these things happen, I always wonder if its actually the people that are affected (in this case, disabled people) that complain, or is it just random goody two shoes who are eternally offended or outraged and think they speak on behalf of the affected group.
    They Meanwell.

    "Injured List" is more descriptive and accurate. "Disabled List" sounds like hires for the sake of being inclusive.
    Dwight

  9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,559
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Another victory for political correctness as MLB does away with the “DL” ;

    Jeff Passan noted MLB is instituting the change "out of concern that the term 'disabled' for injured players falsely conflates disabilities with injuries and an inability to participate in sports."
    There must be no other pressing concerns at MLB.
    Somebody living in Hollywood complaining about PC? You don't see that everyday.

  10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,703
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    When these things happen, I always wonder if its actually the people that are affected (in this case, disabled people) that complain, or is it just random goody two shoes who are eternally offended or outraged and think they speak on behalf of the affected group.
    They Meanwell.

    "Injured List" is more descriptive and accurate. "Disabled List" sounds like hires for the sake of being inclusive.
    Exactly. The issue is not that the term "disabled" is offensive, but that its inaccurate and misleading to use the term to refer to players who are being kept off an active player roster due to a temporary injury.

    There are players with disabilities who are on active rosters in pro sports, and almost none of the players on "disabled lists" have a disability as the term is commonly used and understood.

    The only snowflakes getting offending over nothing are the one's complaining about the change to a more objectively correct term.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM
  2. Can we rename this forum?
    By Loren Pechtel in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-26-2017, 01:47 PM
  3. Politics vs Tradition - derail from Can we rename this forum
    By Lion IRC in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-26-2017, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •