Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB rename the “Disabled List”

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member

MLB rename the “Disabled List”

Another victory for political correctness as MLB does away with the “DL” ;

Jeff Passan noted MLB is instituting the change "out of concern that the term 'disabled' for injured players falsely conflates disabilities with injuries and an inability to participate in sports."
    There must be no other pressing concerns at MLB.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't care about sports.
    Do human beings have free will? I can't decide.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post

Jeff Passan noted MLB is instituting the change "out of concern that the term 'disabled' for injured players falsely conflates disabilities with injuries and an inability to participate in sports."
    When these things happen, I always wonder if its actually the people that are affected (in this case, disabled people) that complain, or is it just random goody two shoes who are eternally offended or outraged and think they speak on behalf of the affected group.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As a disabled person, I have no quarrel with the term. It's accurate and descriptive. I also refer to myself as handicapped. "Differently abled" jars. There are simply things I can't do, like run. I have no abilities that compensate for that.

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Eh, there's no harm in making the term more accurate.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm sorry. Could you please explain again how this negatively affects your life?

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It was only a few years ago "we" were being told by "them" that you can't call a disabled person disabled. Now you can't call the list of non-able bodied players disabled because...why? What in the fuck? What do these retards think the opposite of able bodied is? Let's just call it the "Super Able - They Can Do Anything Even Better Than Ever - Fucking Amazing Bedazzled Players List"!

Fucking Nutters. PC police can shove an AIDs infected dildo up their walnut cracking asses and spin around screaming all the words they don't want other people to say....preferably in a sound proof closet.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    When these things happen, I always wonder if its actually the people that are affected (in this case, disabled people) that complain, or is it just random goody two shoes who are eternally offended or outraged and think they speak on behalf of the affected group.
    They Meanwell.

"Injured List" is more descriptive and accurate. "Disabled List" sounds like hires for the sake of being inclusive.
    Dwight

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post

Somebody living in Hollywood complaining about PC? You don't see that everyday.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    They Meanwell.

"Injured List" is more descriptive and accurate. "Disabled List" sounds like hires for the sake of being inclusive.
    Exactly. The issue is not that the term "disabled" is offensive, but that its inaccurate and misleading to use the term to refer to players who are being kept off an active player roster due to a temporary injury.

There are players with disabilities who are on active rosters in pro sports, and almost none of the players on "disabled lists" have a disability as the term is commonly used and understood.

The only snowflakes getting offending over nothing are the one's complaining about the change to a more objectively correct term.