Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which political party are you?

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    I'm very clearly in Jefferson's Democrat-Republican party. Hamilton was a power-hungry wanna-be-dictator and even though the constitution granted the federal government more power than the articles of confederation did he was still unsatisfied.

It makes sense that our very vocal "anarchist" is a fan of Hamilton.
    No. Hamilton never aspired to dictatorship. That’s the Republicans, particularly Jefferson, lying about him. Hamilton has many issues, but he’s not in favor of any type of dictatorship. That’s what he predicted would befall France, and in 1799, he was proven right.

SLD
    Hamilton was killed in Jefferson's first term.

You have the rest of Jefferson's presidency then Madison's then Monroe's.

All haters of Hamilton.

All the things Hamilton had done were wiped from the collective memory.

Until that little Broadway thing.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    I'm very clearly in Jefferson's Democrat-Republican party. Hamilton was a power-hungry wanna-be-dictator and even though the constitution granted the federal government more power than the articles of confederation did he was still unsatisfied.

It makes sense that our very vocal "anarchist" is a fan of Hamilton.
    No. Hamilton never aspired to dictatorship. That’s the Republicans, particularly Jefferson, lying about him. Hamilton has many issues, but he’s not in favor of any type of dictatorship. That’s what he predicted would befall France, and in 1799, he was proven right.

SLD
    Hamilton was killed in Jefferson's first term.

You have the rest of Jefferson's presidency then Madison's then Monroe's.

All haters of Hamilton.

All the things Hamilton had done were wiped from the collective memory.

Until that little Broadway thing.
    Absolutely wrong on virtually all counts. Jefferson won the battle, but Hamilton won the war. The version of America we have today is Hamilton far, far more than Jeffersonian. Indeed Jefferson didn’t try to dismantle Hamilton's system - he was way too pragmatic. Madison dismantled his bank, and came to regret it as it severely hampered US efforts in the war of 1812.

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Jefferson opposed Hamilton's plans during Washington's administration.

When Jefferson became president he finally realized the value of Hamilton's bank and all the rest and did not try to destroy it.

If it were up to Jefferson the US probably would have only lasted a few decades. It probably would have been crushed in 1812.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    I read a biography of Jefferson. I associate him primarily with the idea of free speech, tolerance of opposing views, and the idea ideas are worked out in the ;market place of ideas'. Not that he was above any of the politics. According to the bio he hired political hit men of the day to write false editorials in newspapers. Editorials under pseudo names was common.

I believe Jefferson was a pastoralist. Limited govt over a society based in agriculture and land ownership or something like that.

I was looking at news from the time online in the past and found cartoons lambasting Jefferson. If you think the media is bad today.

https://apushwiththezhang.weebly.com...-cartoons.html