Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parenting Megathread

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Parenting Megathread

All topics parenting: questions, advice, reflections, pontifications...

Sort of a, “what are you thinking about / what are you doing today” version of the peculiarities of being responsible for other humans.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I watched a mother of two in the supermarket today.
    Reminded my wife i wanted to name our first 'Knockitoff' to save time.
    'Yes, yes,' she agreed. 'You were a visionary. They'd have axed us in our sleep, but it would have saved time.'

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are days that I have needed this thread soooo much, to call on the experience and good sense of others.

Unfortunately, those were often the days that I didn't have two spare seconds to rub together or the ability for coherent thought to make the problem clear.

Nevertheless, I will be a regular.
    My Brane Hertz

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This might be a good place to drop a link to the Parenting Stack Exchange. Even if you don't participate, questions are searchable, good information abound.

5. Top | #5
    Mad Quilter Old Woman in Purple's Avatar
    I have one daughter, 24yo, still living at home, but working on getting her feet planted & financially independent. We've muddled thru somehow, successfully avoiding the whole serial killer thing...
    Willing to put in my 2cents worth, if it'll help anyone....

6. Top | #6
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I find that it always helps. Through my parenting years, I typically find that in all advice there is something to be gained.

From that actual magic (“here’s how I taught my kids to not interrupt me,”. Holy crap, that was MAGICAL!)
    To the new way to say something you’ve been saying all along (Oh, that is nice to add to my repertoire, it will allow my kids to hear it differently for once, LOL)
    To the object lesson (h’okaaaay, that is definitely something I will avoid like the plague)
    There is always something to be learned

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not a parent, but the subject is of interest to me, largely because I disagree with how people raise their kids these days.

Any parents here raising "free range kids"? Which in my childhood, were known as "normal kids"?

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am raising an 8 and a 9yo, not my own.

I free range them as much as I can but the major obstacle to that is finding a big enough crow bar to pry them away from their devices. The poor little sods have become addicted to them because when I'm not there their father uses TV, Nintendos and computers to avoid interacting with them.

Hah! I was just in the "parenting subforum" discussion thread.

The discussion there reminded me that when my son was born I was concerned about the teenage years and "sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll" and all the ramifications.

I had been in the workforce, and not in contact with much in the way of young families.

Colic and sleep deprivation and projectile pooing and childhood illnesses and discipline and pocket money and safety issues and bullying at school and food intolerances and questions of honesty and integrity and growing pains - physical and mental, and transport hassles and a neglectful father all came as a nasty shock to me long before I had to deal with the stuff I was braced for.

Then I found I wasn't really braced for it.
    Last edited by spikepipsqueak; 02-11-2019 at 05:03 AM.
    My Brane Hertz

9. Top | #9
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Mine are all grown, self supporting and living independently. We survived each other.

Truthfully, I loved raising my kids. Sometimes it was exhausting and overwhelming and frustrating. Sometimes scary. I’m proud of all of them. They’re really good people. I’m grateful they were mostly raised before Facebook and Snapchat and Instagram and all of that. Really grateful.

They were raised with some restrictions I didn’t have and without some restrictions I grew up under but that’s more a function of different circumstances than vastly different parenting philosophies.

When my kids were young, my parents were extremely sparing with advice. The two things that my father told me I found very valuable: Be consistent. And your no needs to be no and not maybe. I found those to be very valuable pieces of advice. It made me very sparing with my no’s. My dad was correct: My kids knew they could trust me and what I said.

10. Top | #10
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't have children but my partner and I are planning to start fairly soon (once we actually have a home to live in).

So someone will be actually using your advice. Please don't let this thread become a shitfight about competing parenting techniques.