Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: Parenting Megathread

  1. Top | #121
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    9,475
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    13,130
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations for or advice about breast-pumps? Partner and I were watching a youtube yesterday which recommended Haakaa Silicone Pumps, seems like they have pretty good reviews and are reasonably priced.

    But something about them seems too easy when there are exorbitantly priced pumps being sold at retailers.
    All my children are grown so it's been a minute but yikes. Or rather YIKES!!!!!!: That pump is all manual = a lot of work. Please do not get this and expect your wife to use it instead of breastfeeding or to gain milk to supplement breast feeding after she returns to work. It looks inefficient and not particularly effective, especially for a first time new mother. Please do not choose this. Just reading the comments, it seems as though it works best for use while breastfeeding from the other breast--after milk supply has been established.

    Here's this: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-breast-pumps/


    Also I really, really, really think that your wife should ask her medical provider for recommendations and perhaps a phone number or two to talk to nursing mothers who use breast pumps.

    Please have your wife reach out to other young mothers who will give her some realistic, practical advice and tips and understanding.

    Ultimately, she must choose what is comfortable and practical for her to use.
    Thanks. That was the impression I got, too. It was my partner who was watching the youtube more closely, and after a closer look, it looks like it's more of a travel item.

    I have no inclination for any product over another, but my partner tends to be permanently parked in cost-saving mode and I need to remind her we can have nice things . And in this case it sounds a good pump would pay dividends.

    Thanks for the advice about reaching out / medical provider too. That can be a conversation with her midwife and some of her friends.
    Really, women do talk to each other a lot and midwives are often fantastic sources of information and/or referrals. There certainly are things that you can 'go cheap' on. But think of a breast pump as medical equipment--and it is--and that will change the mindset. In fact, it is possible that a breast pump might be covered under your NHS???

  2. Top | #122
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,769
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    19,283
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

    Thanks. That was the impression I got, too. It was my partner who was watching the youtube more closely, and after a closer look, it looks like it's more of a travel item.

    I have no inclination for any product over another, but my partner tends to be permanently parked in cost-saving mode and I need to remind her we can have nice things . And in this case it sounds a good pump would pay dividends.

    Thanks for the advice about reaching out / medical provider too. That can be a conversation with her midwife and some of her friends.
    Really, women do talk to each other a lot and midwives are often fantastic sources of information and/or referrals. There certainly are things that you can 'go cheap' on. But think of a breast pump as medical equipment--and it is--and that will change the mindset. In fact, it is possible that a breast pump might be covered under your NHS???
    That makes sense. Truthfully we hadn't looked into pumps too deeply yet, which are on our 'to research' list. And I've been finding it difficult to find websites that aren't just trying to sell you something, hence the question.

    Our only experience with them so far was a bit of sticker-shock when we saw the price at babies-r-us, but when you consider the time/energy savings, and health benefit to the baby it's really not that high. I mentioned something similar to partner about the stroller - she was worried about price, but when you look at how much easier a good one makes your life, for potentially two children, an extra few hundred dollars isn't a big deal.

  3. Top | #123
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    234
    Archived
    1,596
    Total Posts
    1,830
    Rep Power
    40
    I forget which one my wife ended up with as it's been about 4 years now since our daughter was in need. Definitely go with an automated one over a manual pump. Also, have your wife ask her OBGYN as many insurance companies will now cover the cost of a pump.

  4. Top | #124
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    8,567
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    17,607
    Rep Power
    84
    I agree with going for the powered pump. I used a Medela Pump-in-style for home and travel. Loved it. Used it for a total of almost 3 years. At work, our employer provided a medical grade Medela with double cups. I also had a hand pump for emergencies like long car rides. The electric pumps are practically critical for a good long-term pumping relationship. AS is a support network. I’d be happy to answer questions. I joined a board called “breastfeeding.com” and got lots of help. That was 15 years ago now, but I pumped and worked for each kid for 15 months. Super healthy for them, super low cost for me, an it kept up the nursing making outings and travel so easy because I was still nursing - milk is pre-heated, always ready and stored in a non-breakable package that you cannot drop. You just stick a diaper in your back pocket and go.

    As for a stroller, I love-loved-loved my sling. So much easier than dealing with a stroller. Kid gets down when they wanna get down, and I sling them when they are tired. Doubles as a picnic cloth, a blanket, and a hands-free breastfeeding holder. Dad can wear it too, and it allows you to have skin-on-skin contact which sooths hem when they are fussy. I used mine until the kids were 5-ish. I made my own so i was not bulky or padded, just a sling. I did also use a front carrier pack, but morphed to the sling only by the time they were about 5 months. We almost never used a stroller.

    Ease of movement through my day was my motto.

  5. Top | #125
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,048
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    68,521
    Rep Power
    100
    Well, the Child Psychiatrist smacked me a few times and told me to get a hold of myself.

    He had a "I seen this 1000 times before" demeanor so we are going with something a bit more less atypical, ADHD, which does run in my wife's family (my side of the family is just plain ole crazy). Doc was good at listening and asking questions. I did my research... and he is well regarded. So, my daughter will now be taking a Ritalin like product at a low dosage and we'll see how that works. I'm not big at all on drugs, but if it works, it works.

  6. Top | #126
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    9,475
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    13,130
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Well, the Child Psychiatrist smacked me a few times and told me to get a hold of myself.

    He had a "I seen this 1000 times before" demeanor so we are going with something a bit more less atypical, ADHD, which does run in my wife's family (my side of the family is just plain ole crazy). Doc was good at listening and asking questions. I did my research... and he is well regarded. So, my daughter will now be taking a Ritalin like product at a low dosage and we'll see how that works. I'm not big at all on drugs, but if it works, it works.
    Hey, I hope that works out well for your daughter and for you. It is good that you have found someone who is so well regarded and who seems to be good at listening. You guys are all going through a LOT right now and I'm sure you're all feeling it, too. I hope this takes a small amount of the load off of your shoulders. And I hope your daughter feels better about things.

  7. Top | #127
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    3,217
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    7,079
    Rep Power
    75
    I hope it works out well too for you and your daughter, Jimmy. My son had ADD and I had to teach him to read myself because he was so easily distracted in school. Now as a 49 year old degreed computer programmer, I still get the impression that he's not always paying attention when I call him. Maybe that's not unusual for a mother and a grown son. But seriously, teaching him how to read was one of my greatest and proudest accomplishments as a parent. Sometimes children sho are easily distracted need a lot of one on one attention, that's hard to get in school.

  8. Top | #128
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    9,769
    Archived
    9,514
    Total Posts
    19,283
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    I agree with going for the powered pump. I used a Medela Pump-in-style for home and travel. Loved it. Used it for a total of almost 3 years. At work, our employer provided a medical grade Medela with double cups. I also had a hand pump for emergencies like long car rides. The electric pumps are practically critical for a good long-term pumping relationship. AS is a support network. I’d be happy to answer questions. I joined a board called “breastfeeding.com” and got lots of help. That was 15 years ago now, but I pumped and worked for each kid for 15 months. Super healthy for them, super low cost for me, an it kept up the nursing making outings and travel so easy because I was still nursing - milk is pre-heated, always ready and stored in a non-breakable package that you cannot drop. You just stick a diaper in your back pocket and go.

    As for a stroller, I love-loved-loved my sling. So much easier than dealing with a stroller. Kid gets down when they wanna get down, and I sling them when they are tired. Doubles as a picnic cloth, a blanket, and a hands-free breastfeeding holder. Dad can wear it too, and it allows you to have skin-on-skin contact which sooths hem when they are fussy. I used mine until the kids were 5-ish. I made my own so i was not bulky or padded, just a sling. I did also use a front carrier pack, but morphed to the sling only by the time they were about 5 months. We almost never used a stroller.

    Ease of movement through my day was my motto.
    Thanks Rhea we went with this exact one. The reviews looked good, and at 300 CDN not that bad of a price. Partner was convinced that we didn't need a pump at all, and she may have been right, but I figured she's under-estimating how tired she's going to be, and how useful it might end up being as a tool. I also considered renting a pump for the first 30 days or so, but when you multiply that across two babies we might as well just get our own. And eventually we can sell it and get some of our money back. Either way I'm not too concerned about the cost vs the utility of it.

    Other than that, all's looking good. Partner is maintaining a healthy weight, and all of baby's indicators throughout the pregnancy have been positive. Things are starting to slow down a bit now as we have the nursery pretty much ready, and there are only a few minor things to get done before his arrival. Today I'm getting over a cold so spending it all resting and researching breast-feeding. In the coming weeks I'll be reviewing some of the hands-on skills I'll need, and at the end of this month we'll be filling our freezer with pre-made food. Then early April partner is free, and soon enough our baby will be here.

    I keep hearing jokes from some of the Facebook pages I follow about how new parents become less serious, and more relaxed as they go through more and more pregnancies. I'm thinking about that and trying to harness an 'already experienced parent' mindset. Realize that billions of people have been through this before, that our boy is going to be quite resilient, and that as long as we pay proper attention to him in the first couple months all will be fine. That way I can actually relax and enjoy, rather than constantly stressing.
    Last edited by rousseau; 03-07-2020 at 10:09 PM.

  9. Top | #129
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    26,048
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    68,521
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Well, the Child Psychiatrist smacked me a few times and told me to get a hold of myself.

    He had a "I seen this 1000 times before" demeanor so we are going with something a bit more less atypical, ADHD, which does run in my wife's family (my side of the family is just plain ole crazy). Doc was good at listening and asking questions. I did my research... and he is well regarded. So, my daughter will now be taking a Ritalin like product at a low dosage and we'll see how that works. I'm not big at all on drugs, but if it works, it works.
    Hey, I hope that works out well for your daughter and for you. It is good that you have found someone who is so well regarded and who seems to be good at listening. You guys are all going through a LOT right now and I'm sure you're all feeling it, too. I hope this takes a small amount of the load off of your shoulders. And I hope your daughter feels better about things.
    Things have improved notably. Still having bumps, but with all going on, this has helped removed some expendable drama.

  10. Top | #130
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    8,567
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    17,607
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Things have improved notably. Still having bumps, but with all going on, this has helped removed some expendable drama.
    Glad to hear you are seeing an improvement for her!

Similar Threads

  1. Parenting...How did you find out you were going to be?
    By Keith&Co. in forum Miscellaneous Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM
  2. Helicopter parenting, the results
    By Loren Pechtel in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-18-2016, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •