Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for the earliest ethnographies or accounts of tribes in Sub-Saharan Africa

1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to dig into some of those in the future.

I dug into the Livingstone title last night, specifically this one. It far exceeded my expectations. Nothing resembling ethnography, but plenty of descriptions of happenings amongst the tribes, and if anything Livingstone seems to be sympathetic toward Africans.

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    I may be wrong, but my belief is you will not be able to find much information prior to the twentieth century, as in the nineteenth century geographers were still relying on explorers to discover the gross facts about sub Saharan “darkest” Africa, such as where the major rivers were, mountains, etc.

You might check out journals from some of the noteworthy explorers such as James Bruce (18th century) or the better known Richard Burton, and Stanley and Livingstone (19th cen.). They will not be scientific, and will no doubt be prejudiced by cultural assumptions such as the innate superiority of whites, but may at least offer a glimpse of what African cultures were like a first contact.
    For the record, for anyone reading a long, plenty of these titles are available on Gutenberg.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here's another for you: Mungo Park (Mungo_Park_(explorer)). I've actually read this one in its entirety although quite a few years ago. I found it fascinating.

I had a close friend (now deceased due to the criminal inadequacies of the American health care system), the best read person I have ever known, who had a passion for British travelogues from back when "travel" meant expedition, not "tour" or "vacation." He turned me on the Mungo Park.

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Thanks for the tip. I spent some time this morning adding titles to my e-reader from Gutenberg. Seems like some of the explorers you mentioned were actually much more available there than at the library. I even managed to pull some South American titles too.