Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

NBA

Do we have any other fans of professional basketball here?

My local team, Dallas Mavericks, have an incredible young star (we nabbed him from Europe) but then they traded away 80% of their starting lineup for another big star who won’t play until next year. So last night we won our first game in a good while. Meanwhile we’re hoping to nab another star this summer in the off season, and build a championship team. It’s a gamble, involving tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars. I hope it works out.

2. Top | #2
    I can't say that I am familiar with the NBA. But, I have a claim to fame. I've played against Charles Smith! Last year, in Galway. I play Master's (veteran's) tournament basketball for a Dublin team and he was guesting for a London team. Here he is in action (albeit failing to score) for the New York Knicks in the 1993 Eastern Conference Finals:

(View video on YouTube)

And here's me (32 green) and him (10 yellow) in the 2018 Galway Master's semi-final:

He's got 6 years on me (he's 53, I'm 59) and 10 inches (he's 6' 10", I'm 6' 0").
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ruby sparks; 03-01-2019 at 12:26 AM.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Very cool!!!

4. Top | #4
    Thanks. It probably goes without saying that we lost. I'd have bragged otherwise.

As for watching the NBA, it's not on any tv channels I subscribe to, unfortunately. Nor even is British basketball. So when it comes to fandom, I'm into footie (soccer), which is slightly odd because I only ever played it recreationally, and I have played and coached basketball (competitively, though not professionally).

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I just hitch the wagon to the Cavs train whenever James decides to play for them. Otherwise, too much other stuff. Also the Golden State Warriors have ruined basketball with their epic playing... and Curry's ugly, but remarkably on target shooting style.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I became a Milwaukee Bucks fan in 1973 or so because of some Quaker Oats promotion (liked the logo, hey I was 12). Maybe this year with the Greek Freak.

7. Top | #7
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I just hitch the wagon to the Cavs train whenever James decides to play for them. Otherwise, too much other stuff. Also the Golden State Warriors have ruined basketball with their epic playing... and Curry's ugly, but remarkably on target shooting style.
    Yea, since Golden State signed Durant it's felt pointless to watch the NBA. The last couple years I just waited until the finals then watched a few games.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    I can't say that I am familiar with the NBA. But, I have a claim to fame. I've played against Charles Smith! Last year, in Galway. I play Master's (veteran's) tournament basketball for a Dublin team and he was guesting for a London team. Here he is in action (albeit failing to score) for the New York Knicks in the 1993 Eastern Conference Finals:

(View video on YouTube)

And here's me (32 green) and him (10 yellow) in the 2018 Galway Master's semi-final:

He's got 6 years on me (he's 53, I'm 59) and 10 inches (he's 6' 10", I'm 6' 0").
    That's a great picture! I loved the NBA when I was little. I've lost some interest over the years. I prefer more of the old fashion pass the ball around, set screens, get it to the guy on the post for a better shot. I'm not as much into the isolation shoot from the 3 line. But it's fun to go to live games...

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    That's a great picture! I loved the NBA when I was little. I've lost some interest over the years. I prefer more of the old fashion pass the ball around, set screens, get it to the guy on the post for a better shot. I'm not as much into the isolation shoot from the 3 line. But it's fun to go to live games...
    I’ve heard at least one commentator on TV (probably ex-coach Van Gundy but I’m not sure) remark that the three point shot ruined basketball.

I wouldn’t go that far. No doubt the game has changed, but there’s still plenty of passing the ball around and setting screens. Instead of just finding the open man under the basket there’s now the added option of passing back out to the three-point line. I find the game plenty exciting and fun to watch. Nowadays big men do more than just dunk. They can often shoot too, even from beyond the arc.

What may be in danger is the mid-range shot. Houston this year has taken almost all of their shots from either the three-point line or from in the paint. Personally I think that’s a passing fad.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Yea, since Golden State signed Durant it's felt pointless to watch the NBA. The last couple years I just waited until the finals then watched a few games.
    I think that's unduly pessimistic. I think Golden State is vulnerable this year. (However, what's often overlooked about Golden State, with their incredible shooting, is just how good their defense is.) A Golden State/Rockets series would be very interesting, as would a Golden State/Nuggets series.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tars Tarkus View Post
    I became a Milwaukee Bucks fan in 1973 or so because of some Quaker Oats promotion (liked the logo, hey I was 12). Maybe this year with the Greek Freak.
    Go Bucks! They currently have the best record in the NBA.