Thread: Tire Pressure

1. Top | #11
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fast View Post
    It’s coming together. I wonder if ply count alters the poundage necessary for proper inflation.

ETA: the cargo poundage
    You don't need to wonder about such things; The engineers at Ford did all that on your behalf decades ago, and boiled down the answers to some simple information most of which is in the manual, and the rest of which you can get from your local Ford dealer.

Fit tyres that match the ratings recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, and inflate them to the pressure recommended by them, and displayed on the placard attached to the vehicle.

There's no need for you to reinvent the wheel (or the tyre).
    And there's no need for you guys to reinvent the spelling of tire!
    There's no need for you guys to pretend that the language you speak is 'English'.

2. Top | #12
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiploc View Post
    My belief is this: If you have the axel loaded to maximum legal capacity, then you should have the tires inflated to the legal maximum (per the tire and the door). But if you have only half that much weight on the tire, you should have only half that much pressure in the tire.

Not that I check the axle weight or do that math, but that's what I was once told I should do.
    That sounds like the tire would be under inflated. I've never heard of such an arrangement.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    My belief is this: If you have the axel loaded to maximum legal capacity, then you should have the tires inflated to the legal maximum (per the tire and the door). But if you have only half that much weight on the tire, you should have only half that much pressure in the tire.

Not that I check the axle weight or do that math, but that's what I was once told I should do.
    That sounds like the tire would be under inflated. I've never heard of such an arrangement.
    Suppose you have a tire rated to carry 5000 pounds when inflated with 50 psi.

If you inflated it to 100 psi, it would bulge in the middle (of the surface that is supposed to be flat on the road), causing reduced traction and uneven tread wear.

You could accomplish exactly the same thing by leaving the psi at 50 but reducing the load to 2500 pounds.

That said, let me make two points:

1. I'm no expert. I'm just parroting what I was told.

2. I have no way to weigh each wheel, so I just run at the pressure suggested by the door plate.

4. Top | #14
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

If you inflated it to 100 psi, it would bulge in the middle (of the surface that is supposed to be flat on the road), causing reduced traction and uneven tread wear.

You could accomplish exactly the same thing by leaving the psi at 50 but reducing the load to 2500 pounds.

2. I have no way to weigh each wheel, so I just run at the pressure suggested by the door plate.
    I'm thinking about tires on a typical passenger car, which I'm certain is basically the same as any pneumatic truck tire. The tires I'm running are 35psi max. That's where I run them. I think the door says to run them slightly lower at about 32. When I have my car serviced that's what they come back as, 32psi.

If I were to inflate them to 16psi I would be damaging the tire, the condition would be unsafe, and the monitoring system would give me an alarm.

Newer tires that have that low profile are inflated to higher pressures, but I don't think the relationship you heard about is valid.

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I'm thinking about tires on a typical passenger car, which I'm certain is basically the same as any pneumatic truck tire. The tires I'm running are 35psi max. That's where I run them. I think the door says to run them slightly lower at about 32. When I have my car serviced that's what they come back as, 32psi.

If I were to inflate them to 16psi I would be damaging the tire, the condition would be unsafe, and the monitoring system would give me an alarm.

Newer tires that have that low profile are inflated to higher pressures, but I don't think the relationship you heard about is valid.
    With cars and small trucks, there’s only so much weight that can be carried and pulled, so the difference between optimal air pressure while being empty and pulling nothing vs maxed out and pulling at full capacity is negligible; however, a beast capable of moving mountains has a substantive need for extra air pressure that is harmful overkill if traveling light.

6. Top | #16
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

There's no need for you guys to pretend that the language you speak is 'English'.
    There's more of us than of you.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts

*There are*

FFS.

There are more Americans than there are Germans, too; But you don't go around claiming to speak German.

8. Top | #18
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

*There are*

FFS.

There are more Americans than there are Germans, too; But you don't go around claiming to speak German.
    Germans don't pretend to speak the same language we do.

We all claim to speak the same language, though, and there are more of us than of you, the vote goes to our version. We put tires on our cars, you put spelling errors on yours.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts

We all claim to speak the same language, though, and there are more of us than of you, the vote goes to our version.
    If it's a matter of voting, which way do the English speakers in India vote?

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts

*There are*

FFS.

We all claim to speak the same language, though, and there are more of us than of you, the vote goes to our version. We put tires on our cars, you put spelling errors on yours.
    I think you would be surprised at the results if you were to survey the English and ask 'Do you speak the same language as the Americans?'.