Thread: What was wrong with the 夫妻肺片 Ox Tongue & Tripe w. Spicy Pepper Sauce I just ate?

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

What was wrong with the 夫妻肺片 Ox Tongue & Tripe w. Spicy Pepper Sauce I just ate?

I love authentic Chinese food and I am especially fond of offal and other variety meats.So I was very excited to try a new Chinese restaurant in my town.I ordered 夫妻肺片 Ox Tongue & Tripe w. Spicy Pepper Sauce and it was almost painful to eat. It was not too spicy but it seemed like it had way too much salt in it. It literally hurt the inside of my mouth.Is this how it is supposed to be?

Was this salt I was experiencing or perhaps some other type of preservative? I eat salty foods all the time , but I have literally never had a reaction like this!

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Potoooooooo View Post
    I love authentic Chinese food and I am especially fond of offal and other variety meats.So I was very excited to try a new Chinese restaurant in my town.I ordered 夫妻肺片 Ox Tongue & Tripe w. Spicy Pepper Sauce and it was almost painful to eat. It was not too spicy but it seemed like it had way too much salt in it. It literally hurt the inside of my mouth.Is this how it is supposed to be?

Was this salt I was experiencing or perhaps some other type of preservative? I eat salty foods all the time , but I have literally never had a reaction like this!
    I put Carne Asada and Adobo seasoning on Cheetos, so I am clearly unfit to address this problem.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Dude, you never mix 妻 with 片. Classic. Can't wait to tell my friends!

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post

Dude, you never mix 妻 with 片. Classic. Can't wait to tell my friends!
    Oh hardy-har-har

I found out that it was most likely the result of the Sichuan Peppercorns which produce a numbing effect on the mouth known as 麻 辣
    needless to say I found the effect very unpleasant