Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Quantum Physics destroy information?

1. Top | #11
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I feel like a small yelping excited Chihuahua dog is trying to hump my leg.
    And I feel like an idiot child is trying to impress his classmates by dismissing the ideas he doesn't grasp as meaningless, while using a bunch of long words to try to sound erudite.

So it seems we all have our crosses to bear.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Where the discussion has gone Entropy in Thermodynamics and information Theory

The question then remains whether ln(W) is an information-theoretic quantity. If it is measured in bits, one can say that, given the macrostate, it represents the number of yes/no questions one must ask to determine the microstate, clearly an information-theoretic concept. Objectors point out that such a process is purely conceptual, and has nothing to do with the measurement of entropy. Then again, the whole of statistical mechanics is purely conceptual, serving only to provide an explanation of the "pure" science of thermodynamics.

Ultimately, the criticism of the link between thermodynamic entropy and information entropy is a matter of terminology, rather than substance. Neither side in the controversy will disagree on the solution to a particular thermodynamic or information-theoretic problem.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Started a thread on math forum/ This topic would generally be a grad course in communications.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    And I feel like an idiot child is trying to impress his classmates by dismissing the ideas he doesn't grasp as meaningless, while using a bunch of long words to try to sound erudite.

When you use ad homs as you did in your first response I will run you ragged with basic science....I will try and rember to use simple words and little scince with you.

As I said before I was a worker bee engineer not particularly more knowledgeable than others.
    All's I am talking is undergrad thermodynamics and systems.

As Bogart said to Peter Lore in Maltese Falcon, 'What do you want me to do, develop a stutter?'

5. Top | #15
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts

When you use ad homs as you did in your first response
    Pointing out that you made a massive and obvious error of fact is not an 'ad hom'
    I will run you ragged with basic science....I will try and rember to use simple words and little scince with you.
    You have made it VERY clear that you don't know much basic science.
    As I said before I was a worker bee engineer not particularly more knowledgeable than others.
    THAT I can agree with.

As Bogart said to Peter Lore in Maltese Falcon, 'What do you want me to do, develop a stutter?'
    I want you to stop saying things that are clearly, obviously and demonstrably untrue.

Information can be (strictly) defined as the opposite of entropy.

As entropy always increases in a closed system, so information always decreases.

No quantum theory required.
    There is no definition for information.
    It takes an impressive amount of pig-headed stupidity to repeat this baseless and ignorant claim immediately in response to a post that gives a definition for information.

You don't have to like the definition, but you have to be crazy to claim that it doesn't exist when it's right there in front of you.
    Seriously. Do you not know what the word 'definition' means?

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member

When you use ad homs as you did in your first response
    Pointing out that you made a massive and obvious error of fact is not an 'ad hom'
    I will run you ragged with basic science....I will try and rember to use simple words and little scince with you.
    You have made it VERY clear that you don't know much basic science.
    THAT I can agree with.

I want you to stop saying things that are clearly, obviously and demonstrably untrue.

Information can be (strictly) defined as the opposite of entropy.

As entropy always increases in a closed system, so information always decreases.

No quantum theory required.
    There is no definition for information.
    It takes an impressive amount of pig-headed stupidity to repeat this baseless and ignorant claim immediately in response to a post that gives a definition for information.

You don't have to like the definition, but you have to be crazy to claim that it doesn't exist when it's right there in front of you.
    Seriously. Do you not know what the word 'definition' means?
    I've game around in pointless circles with you too many times. You have the last word. Go over to the thread on math if you want to continue discussing information and entropy..