Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass shooting in New Zealand - twitter account of shooter (99.9999% him) still open

1. Top | #51
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Yeah. Makes Cohen's statement about his fears for no peaceful transfer of power if Trump loses 2020 a little more clear, n'est pas?
    Well, it would still be a peaceful transfer of power. It would just be a peaceful transfer of power which includes a bunch of chickenhawks making tough sounding tweets that they won't back up.
    I'm not so sure they're all chicken hawks. Oh, sure, Trump is, when it comes to himself and probably his sons (maybe). But I'm absolutely sure that he would feel 100 percent OK with his biker friends insisting he stay on.

2. Top | #52
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

I'm not so sure they're all chicken hawks. Oh, sure, Trump is, when it comes to himself and probably his sons (maybe). But I'm absolutely sure that he would feel 100 percent OK with his biker friends insisting he stay on.
    I really can't see Americans getting up off their couches for long enough to stage an insurrection. They may stand around for a little bit trying to look intimidating before heading home because people stopped paying any attention to them, but I don't think they're any significant worry.

3. Top | #53
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    I'm fairly sure that if religion wasn't a factor, the kind of people who'd do this would find another reason to do it instead.
    Is that a good reason to keep the existing enabling system in place?
    No, the enabling system is shit and should be done away with. My point is that this wouldn't affect this sort of action all that much.

4. Top | #54
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I really can't see Americans getting up off their couches for long enough to stage an insurrection. They may stand around for a little bit trying to look intimidating before heading home because people stopped paying any attention to them, but I don't think they're any significant worry.
    I am going to support the revolution from my recliner on my cell phone.

5. Top | #55
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This attack was related to white supremacy and xenophobia, not religion. I think that people like this often attack people in houses of worship is because people in such places are usually unarmed, and not expecting to be murdered in cold blood. It's like when Dylan Roof gunned down people in a black church. It wasn't Christianity he ws attacking, it was black people that he hated.

6. Top | #56
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post

I am going to support the revolution from my recliner on my cell phone.
    Power to the people, brother! Once the usurpers are cast down and liberating heroes are installed into positions of authority, be sure to remind them of your early support of their movement so they can send you the two-for-one coupon at your local Denny's.

7. Top | #57
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    He had an issue with the UN Migration Compact, which enables more mass migration into the West. New Zealand voted for it, while US voted against and Australia abstained.
    He also wrote down names of many Europeans who fought against the Ottoman Turkish (an Islamic empire after all) invasion of Europe. These days, European rulers like Angela Merkel open the floodgates to millions of Islamic mass migrants.

That may be, but even crazy people sometimes have a kernel of reason.
    What Derec is saying is that if you allow Muslims to migrate to our country, you are to blame for senseless acts of violence committed against said immigrants. You are to blame because you did not foresee that your actions would trigger the rage of a few racist scumbags and turn them into mass murderers. When making policy decisions, one should always bow down to the tiny fraction of people in your country who are white nationalists, and be sensitive to their opinions regarding mixing of different racial bloodlines.

Does that sum up your position appropriately, or have I missed something?

8. Top | #58
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What happened in New Zealand wasn't about Muslims. it was about White Supremacy and the hatred that such individuals have towards those who are different from themselves. People like the shooter don't necessarily attack Muslims. They have attacked Jewish people and Black people, often in their houses of worship, which is probably because that makes them very easy targets. Muslims, btw, have been in New Zealand since the 1700s and the only reason there has been an uptick in recent years is due to the violence and horror in places like Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq. Anyone who thinks these people are trying to instill Sharia law are simply delusional. The Muslims in NZ aren't the problem anymore than the Muslims in the US are a problem. I've met several Muslims and they aren't scary at all. It's the white nationalists that scare the shit out of me, and I'm white!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/w...&region=Footer

One of the goals of his bloodshed, he wrote, was to “agitate the political enemies of my people into action, to cause them to overextend their own hand and experience the eventual and inevitable backlash as a result.” He said he wanted to “incite violence, retaliation and further divide.”

The manifesto, the harrowing video and what appear to be the gunman’s social media posts feature typical white nationalist rhetoric with layers upon layers of irony and meta jokes, making it difficult to parse what is genuine and what he just thought was funny.

The gunman seems to have a significant interest in history — at least, the parts that fit into a white nationalist narrative. On his weapons, he wrote the names of centuries-old military leaders who led battles against largely nonwhite forces, along with the names of men who recently carried out mass shootings of Jews and Muslims.

The manifesto, steeped in anti-Muslim sentiment, refers to nonwhites as “invaders” who threaten to “replace” white people. The author says he used guns instead of other weapons because he wanted the United States to tear itself apart arguing over gun laws.

His choice of language, and the specific memes he referred to, suggest a deep connection to the far-right online community. The link to the livestreamed video was first posted to the /pol/ forum of 8chan, a notorious far-right space, where the gunman was hailed as a hero after the shooting.
    I also read that this gunman was influenced by some racist French asshole who had written a book about how white people were being replaced by people with darker skin. Sound familiar? White supremacy that leads to terrorism is the problem here, not Muslims who were only minding their own business and attending their own religious services.

9. Top | #59
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's so good to hear a leader say "right wing extremism." Call it what it is.

White supremacists and ISIS are the same rabid dog barking at itself in a mirror. They're only different in the details.

10. Top | #60
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Basically, a few crazy people, who probably wanted their ‘15 minutes of fame’, chose a group of people and shot them!

It has shocked us and I hope it doesn’t escalate into a hate war.

We could learn from children.

My school has children from New Zealand, and some Muslim and Islamic countries, and they get along great! I love that they can be open about their culture, such as Ramadan, and feel secure.

Maybe the shooters will use an insanity defence in the hopes of getting off with a few years in a hospital!