Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial intelligence would robots, androids and cyborgs have civil rights?

1. Top | #1

Artificial intelligence would robots, androids and cyborgs have civil rights?

I have been thinking about this for a very long time. I remember in "Star Wars" when C3P0 first adrressed Han Solo, when they were heading into the Millennium Falcon, Han Solo just turned and looked away. He didn't acknowledge the robot even existed. I also remember an episode of Star Trek TNG when the Android Data went on trial to see if he was a sentient being.

I also remember reading the book I Robot, which was very different than the movie and I was wondering if in the future when and if we aquire the ability to create such life, will we have the wisdom to react to this new life or will we turn it into a race of those we put in harms way to protect what we consider human life? Will we address those entities as him, her, this, that, it or them?
    HE WHOEVER FIGHTS MONSTERS SHOULD SEE TO IT THAT IN THE PROCESS HE DOES NOT BECOME A MONSTER. AND IF YOU GAZE LONG ENOUGH INTO THE ABYSS, THE ABYSS GAZES INTO YOU.

Friedrich Nietzsche

2. Top | #2
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We have a dreadful record of giving other human beings any rights.

It seems highly implausible that we would give any rights to non-human intelligences, unless and until they force us to do so.

Perhaps a robot Martin Luther King, or an AI Nelson Mandela is needed before we treat machines as anything more than slaves.

Having said which, it's probably a very long time before we will have systems advanced enough to need to worry about it.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    In my opinion a machine is a machine. We build them to assist us. Car or robot.

4. Top | #4
    Wouldn't they be protected by the rights of their owner?
    If you key my car or put graffiti on my house, those non-living things have proxy 'rights' not to be damaged.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Is it considered ethical to own sentient being regardless of whether they are 'natural' or 'artificial?' Ethical to own an artificial, intelligent being as your personal property, like a car or a house?

Or is there some distinction to be made between natural and artificial Sentience that allows one to owned but not the other?

6. Top | #6
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Wouldn't they be protected by the rights of their owner?
    If you key my car or put graffiti on my house, those non-living things have proxy 'rights' not to be damaged.
    Yeah, as a slave owner, your property is protected by law from being harmed without your permission. I am sure that's more than adequate protection. Slaves have nothing to complain about.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If a robot is to be considered as having rights, first one has to demonstrate it has needs for such. To my way of looking at the problem, if it is a problem, that would be something the machines themselves need to thrash out with us when they begin to design or birth themselves.

8. Top | #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    If a robot is to be considered as having rights, first one has to demonstrate it has needs for such. To my way of looking at the problem, if it is a problem, that would be something the machines themselves need to thrash out with us when they begin to design or birth themselves.
    Please don't get stuck on one example of what the thread is about. The thread is about artificial intelligence. Robots, androids and cyborgs were just examples of that form. I think it is a fallacy to think that sentient beings need to thrash out anything, seeing the history human beings have with what some consider lesser beings. Those in power simply introduce laws and restrictions that deny them any chance of doing so.

Is being self producing something that is needed before they are considered a life form? what would happen to us if they instituted the the reverse form of thinking and didn't consider us unless we were manufactured. Science fiction is replete with themes of just that happening.
    Last edited by just_me; 03-17-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    HE WHOEVER FIGHTS MONSTERS SHOULD SEE TO IT THAT IN THE PROCESS HE DOES NOT BECOME A MONSTER. AND IF YOU GAZE LONG ENOUGH INTO THE ABYSS, THE ABYSS GAZES INTO YOU.

Friedrich Nietzsche

9. Top | #9
    I think fromderinside makes a good point.
    We would look to the artificial intelligence for some objective indication that it autonomously desires 'rights' which it otherwise does not have.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Demonstration of need doesn't always translate into action. Vested interests may get in the way.