Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dating the Flood back 650 years

1. Top | #111
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Answers in Genesis, etc, date the Flood to be 2350 BC while the pyramids of Giza are dated at 2550 BC. But it seems that a more Biblical dating of the Flood is actually about 3000 BC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1yRTC6kGE
    This makes the Biblical record seem more reliable though I still believe in an old earth.
    Aha... which places it between the downfall of Númenor and the creation of the one ring. Interesting.

Who cares on when wholly fictional events are placed on an imaginary timeline? These are religious myths. Their function is the same, regardless of when in the past they are placed.

2. Top | #112
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
    Zeus was also sometimes referred to as "Almighty." In fact, in my college epic literature class, we compared the depiction of Zeus in the Iliad with Zeus in the Odyssey, with the point that in the later book, he had become more powerful relative to the other gods.

The tendency to go from polytheism to monotheism through strengthening of the principle god is actually quite common.
    I think iconography is also important. In Christian iconography God is always painted like Zeus. Still. That never changed. For practical purposes it's the same God

3. Top | #113
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Zeus was also sometimes referred to as "Almighty." In fact, in my college epic literature class, we compared the depiction of Zeus in the Iliad with Zeus in the Odyssey, with the point that in the later book, he had become more powerful relative to the other gods.

The tendency to go from polytheism to monotheism through strengthening of the principle god is actually quite common.
    I think iconography is also important. In Christian iconography God is always painted like Zeus. Still. That never changed. For practical purposes it's the same God
    In what sense do you mean 'the same God?'

4. Top | #114
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post

Good question. "The same god" implies that there is a real extant god that the two cultures identify differently. Maybe a better wording would be that both Zeus and the Christian god are beliefs in gods with very different descriptions but use similar iconography.

5. Top | #115
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

Good question. "The same god" implies that there is a real extant god that the two cultures identify differently. Maybe a better wording would be that both Zeus and the Christian god are beliefs in gods with very different descriptions but use similar iconography.
    That's quite possible.

6. Top | #116
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

That's quite possible.
    Indeed and quite possible because the iconography for each is from the same people in modern times not from those who actually worshipped Zeus or from the early Christians. As I recall the early Greek images of Zeus were generally like a physically fit normal human male and the early Christians considered iconography of their god to be a sin so forbidden.

7. Top | #117
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Answers in Genesis, etc, date the Flood to be 2350 BC while the pyramids of Giza are dated at 2550 BC. But it seems that a more Biblical dating of the Flood is actually about 3000 BC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1yRTC6kGE
    This makes the Biblical record seem more reliable though I still believe in an old earth.
    In the Lord of the Rings, much of the story takes place walking through the woods. Around where I live, I am surrounded by woods. This makes the Middle-Earth record more reliable though I still believe in the coming of men during the Third Age.