1 5.88%

Thread: Sushi

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Sushi

How do people feel about sushi?

I'd say if it weren't so expensive most of the time, it'd be my spirit food. But I just discovered that there's a small sushi shop near where I work, which I'll definitely be taking advantage of. I'm not too picky about which type I eat, I figure eating fresh fish likely isn't the worst decision I can make on any given day.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    I have sushi on average once per week. The best sushi I've found in the US has been in Seattle.

The first sushi I ever had was in Okinawa (lived there 3 years), so I have a pretty high standard.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member C_Mucius_Scaevola's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Can't say I'm wild about it, but I don't hate it either. If it's what's there, I'll eat it.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's the wasabi and ginger that I'm after. Oddly, I won't eat cooked fish except shellfish.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I brought some leftover shashimi home and left it in the box overnight with a wad of wasabi. The next day I chopped it into cubes and seared it in my wok. The fish had absorbed the wasabi flavor overnight and it was incredible. It was so good, I'd call raw fish a waste of good food.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I only like the kind that doesn't have raw fish in it. California rolls are good and anything stuffed with cooked shrimp, fish or vegetables. I'm just too old school to eat raw fish. I don't even eat my ahi tuna unless it's at least warm and pink in the center, not cool and red. My Gen X son on the other hand loves all of it. I didn't answer the poll because it didn't have an option for sushi without raw fish.

Can't do wasabi. My GI tract can't handle it.

7. Top | #7
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I love sushi and I'll try any kind of sushi at least once. I've been pleasantly surprised by a variety of raw sea creature once I had the courage to take the leap.

I like making California rolls. I don't do raw fish when making my own. I'll leave that to the experts.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Circa 1973 ... growing up around Santa Barbara, surfing point breaks, I always wanted to go to Hawaii. Finally one day I just stuffed a bunch of cash in my pocket, went to the airport and bought a ticket to Kauai where I had some friends on the North Shore. On the way from the Lihue airport to Hanalei I saw a fish market, stopped and bought a big piece of Ahi.
    I had rented a house, and my friend met me there along with his Hawaiian girlfriend. She looked in the refrigerator, saw the fish, pulled it out and started cutting pieces off it with a pocket knife and eating them. I needed some coaxing - I had never had sushi up to then. Been an addict ever since.
    Have to agree with WT - the best I've had stateside was in Seattle.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been a sushi lover since I first encountered it on a trip to California back in the early 1980s. I was already a fan of oysters on the half shell so raw fish wasn't a big leap. A short while later, a really nice Japanese restaurant opened in my hometown. Their sushi offerings were much more varied than what I find nowadays, with strong fishy flavored things like sea urchin and mackerel along side milder fish like yellow fin tuna. It was pretty expensive so I couldn't have it often but I used to splurge on a sushi lunch now and then. I still do, in fact.