Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: business is business personal is personal

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Got no problem with morality = business. Both are human social inventions for dealing with others on some sort of material public way.

2. Top | #12
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BH View Post
    I have a cousin that was fired from a job twenty years ago. The man that fired him ended up marrying a second cousin of the man he fired on his mom's side I am kin to him on his dad's side. this cousin of mine that got fired has gone on and done well and the man who fired him asked his wife to ask my cousin to loan them a thousand dollars. My cousin told him no through her and folks got all mad. Half the family thinks he was wrong to hold a grudge over getting fired though admit he is legally within his rights to do so. The other half think it is a you reap what you sow type situation.
    Sounds vaguely reminiscent of the Hatfields and McCoys what with all the distant relatives involved. The cousin's not even directly related to his former boss. And the former boss didn't even have the self respect to ask your cousin directly but went through several other relatives. I'd keep away from that because it could only get much worse if he loaned him the money and it was late being repaid. And not because he's holding a grudge. He can still wish him well even though he doesn't have any really good reason to trust him. He's just a former employer.
    I did just that. I stayed out of it. I admit both sides have validity to their reasons. The man apologized to my cousin and he didnt lose as much as he could have.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    He should have?

4. Top | #14
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    He should have?
    I'm sorry I do not understand your post. Could you elaborate more?

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sorry. I was challenging both need to apologise and whether one's amount of lose was even relevant. I probably should have made two statements.

6. Top | #16
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oh okay. The thing I cant wrap my head around is that the man who did the firing would say he couldnt keep the guy on because he was a drag and inefficient use of money. Okay. However, this same guy turns around when in a bind and asks the guy he fired to do exactly that for him. Allow him to be a drag and use of money the guy could have used for other purposes. Someone who may think different please explain what the first guys reasoning was.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Running a business can be very personal if it's your livelihood, if your family depends on it. An unproductive employee, especially if he is one of only a handful of employees should be fired if he threatens that livelihood. Your first duty is to your immediate family, those who rely on you.

In my world if you want to buy something as frivolous as a boat, it should be something you're able to pay cash for. Stretching yourself thin financially with monthly payments threatens you family's security. Herein lies your thousand dollars Mr. Boat Owner.

There are people who in spite of all their efforts, struggle to stand on their own two feet. Luck, timing, circumstances, and ability work against them. But they do their best to see to theirs and their family's needs. I am happy to help and expect nothing in return. Then there are those who are lackadaisical in their work and/or irresponsible with their income.
    Dwight

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yeah. I understand. I prefer to live in lucky shit world as I did during my productive years. There most everything, even when it appears too only be a pair of twos, becomes a flush. Crap shoot.

9. Top | #19
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Running a business can be very personal if it's your livelihood, if your family depends on it. An unproductive employee, especially if he is one of only a handful of employees should be fired if he threatens that livelihood. Your first duty is to your immediate family, those who rely on you..

I understand. But would you approach someone you fired years later and ask them to help you out of some sort of trouble? Why should you be on any priority lists with that person since you showed how low that person was on yours.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No. I don't think so. Deep down I believe everybody is good so they will help me when I'm down. At least that's what happened.