Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Atheists becoming more vocal and outspoken

1. Top | #171
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Atheists are taking away Christmas.
    I think that whole "War on Christmas" thing was a HUGE boost to us and loss to them, because it was so obviously on the face of it them being aggressive towards us for no good reason whatsoever. There was never a "Happy Holidays" law that I am aware of. Nobody was ever forced by law not to say "Merry Christmas".

2. Top | #172
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    Years later in the U.S. when the social movements to allow gay marriage dominated our culture, that was another eye-opener for me. Nobody ever had a good secular argument for why 2 people with similar genitalia should not be permitted to marry each other---all arguments against it were rooted in religious beliefs and customs. Well, then our religious beliefs and customs need to change. They are still having a real-time harm on people in our society.
    There were, and still are, non-religious arguments against gay marriage. I don't find them convincing, but they do exist. Listen to some Ben Shapiro if you want to hear them.

We are also dealing with the global crisis of climate change, and opposition to any preventative activity is also fueled in part by religious beliefs. In the U.S. recently, a congressperson cited the Bible and how God swore to protect the Earth as justification for not needing to worry about climate change. When we are talking about intensifying and increasingly powerful natural disasters and extinction-level catastrophes, then that should also be considered warrant for us to become more active in promoting our own views. That would help counteract the resistance.
    I'm not sure how much religion really has sway over this one. I get the logic, end times and all that, but greed and standard of living is such a powerful motivator that I'm not sure religion is really needed or that lack of it would have much effect on this. It would be interesting to see.

3. Top | #173
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    How little or far should we atheists (or nontheists, skeptics, whatever) go in trying to advance our views? Should we hold more of a “live and let live” attitude or be more outspoken and vocal in criticizing religion in the public sphere?
    I'm all for the "live and let live" idea but only if it is mutual. Any religious group attempting to force their beliefs on others through law or even through personal actions need to be openly opposed.

For example, I have no problem with the Amish who are happy to practice their rather weird (to me) beliefs without imposing it on others unwilling to accept those beliefs.
    I am with you on this, but only regarding adults. I feel bad for some Amish kids.
    The Amish do not join the community until age 21. They have a tradition of Rumspringa where starting at age 14 to 16 the child is raised outside the community to live in the 'outside world' experiencing all the 'temptations' and lifestyles of non-Amish life until age 21. Some decide to remain in the secular world and some decide to join the church at age 21. Although I personally think the Amish religious life style is a bit weird, this practice of Rumspringa seems to me to be an honest attempt to insure that a decision to join the church is not coerced but made with full adult awareness.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 04-18-2019 at 12:10 AM.

4. Top | #174
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think that whole "War on Christmas" thing was a HUGE boost to us and loss to them, because it was so obviously on the face of it them being aggressive towards us for no good reason whatsoever. There was never a "Happy Holidays" law that I am aware of. Nobody was ever forced by law not to say "Merry Christmas".
    From now on, my standard holiday greeting will be "Howdy Ho!"

Check You Tube, South Park, Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo for details.
    Cheerful Charlie

5. Top | #175
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    From now on, my standard holiday greeting will be "Howdy Ho!"

Check You Tube, South Park, Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo for details.
    Kyle: "I'd be merry, but I'm Hebrew...I'm just a Jew, a lonely Jew at Christmas."