Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: If I can imagine it, it's logically possible?

  1. Top | #31
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,054
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post

    I told you I can argue using the crap Mathematical Logic definition. No problem.



    Really crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    The obvious conclusion using the only definition in this thread is that any valid logical argument yields logical possibility. This is so since logical validity possibility is "the logical consequence of another [proposition, true or false], based on the axioms of a given system of logic."
    Well, it depends. If the argument is valid, yes. But if it is only valid in the sense used in Mathematical Logic then not necessarily. Still, we may not need to go there. So, do go on.

    Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    Imagine a race of beings — call them ‘Aliens’ — that is very different from any life-form that exists anywhere in the universe; different enough, in fact, that no actually existing thing could have been an Alien, any more than a given gorilla could have been a fruitfly.
    I can imagine those Aliens.
    No, you can't. The specification made sure of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    Are they logically possible?
    Using the above definition, yes.
    That's something you would have prove. Can you do that? You can ask for assistance if need be.

    Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    Using your definition, yes or no?
    Me, I can't imagine these Aliens at all. I can imagine something that looks not human and not like any animal I know of but I can't imagine that particular kind of Alien, at all. And, you can't either. Which does exemplify to the perfection the problem that people can well claim they can imagine X even though they can't.
    EB
    At long last we the true EB, 'crap math logic'. Trying to substitute crap philosophy for objective rigorous logic.

  2. Top | #32
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,314
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,976
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    At long last we the true EB, 'crap math logic'. Trying to substitute crap philosophy for objective rigorous logic.
    As long as you can't argue shit.
    EB

  3. Top | #33
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    3,363
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    36
    Short summary: "If we define the word "imagine" in such a way that only possible things can be imagined, than only possible things can be imagined"

    Is that what you're saying? Or rather, how's that not what you're saying?

  4. Top | #34
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,054
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    At long last we the true EB, 'crap math logic'. Trying to substitute crap philosophy for objective rigorous logic.
    As long as you can't argue shit.
    EB
    I can argue shit quite well. It has consistency, color variations indicative of medical conditions, smell.
    The stage of your shit indicates the state of your bowels. Knowledge of shit is quite important. Doctors specialize in it.

    So, what is your point about arguing shit?

    Eventual the façade comes off and the true person comes through.

  5. Top | #35
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,314
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,976
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    At long last we the true EB, 'crap math logic'. Trying to substitute crap philosophy for objective rigorous logic.
    As long as you can't argue shit.
    EB
    I can argue shit quite well. It has consistency, color variations indicative of medical conditions, smell.
    The stage of your shit indicates the state of your bowels. Knowledge of shit is quite important. Doctors specialize in it.
    So, what is your point about arguing shit?
    Eventual the façade comes off and the true person comes through.
    If you can do it, just do it.

    For now, I can't see nothing.

    And I don't remember you ever posting any cogent argument.

    So, please, surprise me.
    EB

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Short summary: "If we define the word "imagine" in such a way that only possible things can be imagined, than only possible things can be imagined"

    Is that what you're saying? Or rather, how's that not what you're saying?
    Please quote me where I redefine "imagine".
    EB

  6. Top | #36
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    3,363
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    9,652
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I can argue shit quite well. It has consistency, color variations indicative of medical conditions, smell.
    The stage of your shit indicates the state of your bowels. Knowledge of shit is quite important. Doctors specialize in it.
    So, what is your point about arguing shit?
    Eventual the façade comes off and the true person comes through.
    If you can do it, just do it.

    For now, I can't see nothing.

    And I don't remember you ever posting any cogent argument.

    So, please, surprise me.
    EB

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Short summary: "If we define the word "imagine" in such a way that only possible things can be imagined, than only possible things can be imagined"

    Is that what you're saying? Or rather, how's that not what you're saying?
    Please quote me where I redefine "imagine".
    EB
    Post #3?

  7. Top | #37
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    5,054
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I can argue shit quite well. It has consistency, color variations indicative of medical conditions, smell.
    The stage of your shit indicates the state of your bowels. Knowledge of shit is quite important. Doctors specialize in it.
    So, what is your point about arguing shit?
    Eventual the façade comes off and the true person comes through.
    If you can do it, just do it.

    For now, I can't see nothing.

    And I don't remember you ever posting any cogent argument.

    So, please, surprise me.
    EB

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Short summary: "If we define the word "imagine" in such a way that only possible things can be imagined, than only possible things can be imagined"

    Is that what you're saying? Or rather, how's that not what you're saying?
    Please quote me where I redefine "imagine".
    EB

    Well, you said I can't argue shit which I took to mean I know nothing about shit.

    If you used the proper form of the colloquialism you would have said 'You can't argue for shit' which would mean I know nothing about making arguments.

    Saying I can't argue baseball and saying I can't argue baseball for shit are two different meanings.



    'For now, I can't see nothing'. What are you saying here, if there is nothing to see than by definition there is nothing that can be seen? It is impossible to see nothing? Or did you mean to say you can not see anything? Does nothing exist? I am realy confused about your statement.

    The sunforum is about epistemology. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what you mean.

  8. Top | #38
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,314
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,976
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Short summary: "If we define the word "imagine" in such a way that only possible things can be imagined, than only possible things can be imagined"
    Please quote me where I redefine "imagine".
    EB
    Post #3?
    Here it is, post No. 3...
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    I should have defined my terminology:

    Imagine
    1. To form a mental picture or image of: imagined a better life abroad.
    I always forgot most people are very nearly illiterate.
    That definition comes from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition.

    You don't read dictionaries?

    So, I have to ask my question again: Please quote me where I redefine "imagine".

    Clue: redefine.

    I always forgot most people are very nearly illiterate.
    EB

  9. Top | #39
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,314
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,976
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakpigeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I can argue shit quite well. It has consistency, color variations indicative of medical conditions, smell.
    The stage of your shit indicates the state of your bowels. Knowledge of shit is quite important. Doctors specialize in it.
    So, what is your point about arguing shit?
    Eventual the façade comes off and the true person comes through.
    If you can do it, just do it.
    Well, you said I can't argue shit which I took to mean I know nothing about shit.

    If you used the proper form of the colloquialism you would have said 'You can't argue for shit' which would mean I know nothing about making arguments.

    Saying I can't argue baseball and saying I can't argue baseball for shit are two different meanings.
    Learn you're own language, then...

    Here a few quotes...
    Jan 20, 2019 - I'm not about to argue shit I'm not well educated about ...
    Jul 8, 2017 - Maybe you're the one who shouldn't try to argue shit because you have no idea what you're talking of.
    (?) - Of course there are certain faculties which study and discuss and argue shit like that, but none of the smarty pants people in them ever agree on anything, and ...
    Jan 7, 2010 - ... and Wednesday evening arguing about which NBA games equaled which Houston rap albums with a guy that we regularly argue shit with.
    I think "colloquial" is the right word.

    Anyway, that was indeed you trying to argue shit.
    EB

  10. Top | #40
    Contributor Speakpigeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paris, France, EU
    Posts
    6,314
    Archived
    3,662
    Total Posts
    9,976
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    'For now, I can't see nothing'. What are you saying here, if there is nothing to see than by definition there is nothing that can be seen? It is impossible to see nothing? Or did you mean to say you can not see anything? Does nothing exist? I am realy confused about your statement.

    The sunforum is about epistemology. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what you mean.
    Take your time. Nobody will be waiting that you understand.
    EB

Similar Threads

  1. A scientific and logically coherent view of reality
    By Speakpigeon in forum Other Philosophical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2019, 11:30 AM
  2. Is the idea of something with no beginning logically impossible?
    By Speakpigeon in forum Logic and Epistemology
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 01:19 AM
  3. Fun to Imagine
    By beero1000 in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2015, 09:44 PM
  4. America: Imagine the World Without Her
    By NobleSavage in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •