Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controversy over prayer before lawmaker's swearing-in

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Controversy over prayer before lawmaker's swearing-in

Oh wow. This is just hilariously terrible.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...conish-vpx.cnn

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    A Republican member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives is facing scrutiny for delivering an invocation that is being called religiously exclusive and political before the swearing in of the state's first Muslim female lawmaker.
    The prayer wasn't even a simple prayer, but one asking God forgive them for what they have done (generally), but hilariously badly timed as they are about to swear in the first Muslim.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Prayerphobia.
    To combat the effects of accidentally hearing someone pray, hang several garlic cloves around neck and wrap head in tinfoil.
    Don't panic. Medical authorities advise that audible prayer does no harm to bystanders.

3. Top | #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Prayerphobia.
    To combat the effects of accidentally hearing someone pray, hang several garlic cloves around neck and wrap head in tinfoil.
    Don't panic. Medical authorities advise that audible prayer does no harm to bystanders.
    How can you be a person of God and be this dishonest about what was recorded there. This wasn't a pray in any sense of the word and I have heard some very good and extremely poor put together prayers.

I have never been against any religion unless that religion tries to step beyond the authority it has been given and that is to save souls. God never gave anyone the authority to police the world or to force anyone to obey him or his principles.

This depraved spectacle was one of beseeching god to forgive them for doing something that has resulted in something she thinks is punishment. Seeing that this was about a Muslim being sworn into a political office it would take a complete breakdown of reasonable thought to believe that punishment, she assumes was that a Muslim was just elected to office.

This women's actions is just another of a long list of outrageous spectacles that has reduced the Christian Church to a punch line in a very old and ugly joke. I have Christian's in my family and they would slap the crap out of this women. You want the deflect the manner in which this played out as a phobia against prayer. That's just dishonest.
    HE WHOEVER FIGHTS MONSTERS SHOULD SEE TO IT THAT IN THE PROCESS HE DOES NOT BECOME A MONSTER. AND IF YOU GAZE LONG ENOUGH INTO THE ABYSS, THE ABYSS GAZES INTO YOU.

Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Or it could be that the horrible thing they are apologizing to God for is that they are swearing in a non-Christian. It could be seen either way, or could just be seen as a nutty religious person doing what they always do. It did strike me that it wasn't just a "God watch over us blah blah blah" though, and was more of a "God Forgive us for what we have done" prayer.

5. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Or it could be that the horrible thing they are apologizing to God for is that they are swearing in a non-Christian. It could be seen either way, or could just be seen as a nutty religious person doing what they always do. It did strike me that it wasn't just a "God watch over us blah blah blah" though, and was more of a "God Forgive us for what we have done" prayer.
    That could be too, but the bottom line is it rips away the feeling of being apart of something. Her entire family was supposed to be there for her swearing in. Welcome to America, Oh Boy!
    HE WHOEVER FIGHTS MONSTERS SHOULD SEE TO IT THAT IN THE PROCESS HE DOES NOT BECOME A MONSTER. AND IF YOU GAZE LONG ENOUGH INTO THE ABYSS, THE ABYSS GAZES INTO YOU.

Friedrich Nietzsche

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just_me View Post
    Prayerphobia.
    How can you be a person of God and be this dishonest about what was recorded there. This wasn't a pray in any sense of the word and I have heard some very good and extremely poor put together prayers.
    Well, FFvC is also said to be a Christian Lion seems to prefer this kind of exchange over discussion, or even debating genuine points of view.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm from Ohiyuh. Our new governor was sworn in, three months ago, on a stack of NINE BIBLES. I'm sure if Thomas Nelson Publishers had a branch location in our state, he'd've demanded to be sworn in inside the factory, on a fifty foot tower of Bibles, wearing the Urim and Thummim around his neck and carrying the sword of Joshua. Nine Bibles. Jesus Fucking Tapdancing Keerist.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funinspace View Post
    Prayerphobia.
    Well, FFvC is also said to be a Christian Lion seems to prefer this kind of exchange over discussion, or even debating genuine points of view.
    My guess is Lion didn't actually watch the video. I would have linked it, but don't know how to from CNN.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How can you be a person of God and be this dishonest about what was recorded there.

You want the deflect the manner in which this played out as a phobia against prayer. That's just dishonest.
    Good point. Lion IRC does not respond to the content of the original post, but posts nonsense that is meant to insult people who see this behavior as ridiculous and over the top.

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Prayerphobia.
    Personally, I don't care if people pray. Prayer and meditation are generally good for people's health and people ought to have liberty to speak as they see fit. Generally. There are exceptions such as when it makes no sense, like as a substitute for science classes or whatever. Also, forcing people to pray is the opposite of liberty. So as you can see, I have no "Prayerphobia."

Now, in context and context is everything, by the way, this is about politicians. Politicians are not trustworthy persons. Do you really think they are not hypocrites? If you read what Jesus allegedly said in the New Testament, he allegedly said to pray in a closet for exactly the reason that these politicians are out doing it publicly, for attention to themselves--to say "hey look, I'm a religious person everyone." No, he allegedly said that when you go to do things with more than one purpose such as praying out loud in front of everyone for everyone to see, that's hypocrisy.

So, could you tell me why you support politicians being hypocrites?