Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Statehood for Puerto Rico and DC?

1. Top | #131
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Whenever they vote for independence, they fail to get a majority. Whenever they vote for statehood, they fail to get a majority. It isn't just the GOP keeping Puerto Rico a territory.
    Nonbinding ones with very little voter turnout, and AOC has called them little better than polls.
    A "shit or get off the pot" ballot would include only the options of statehood or independence.
    AOC prefers that approach - binding referendums. She wants Puerto Rico "decolonized", but she doesn't take sides on statehood vs. independence.

2. Top | #132
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Harvestdancer View Post
    Whenever they vote for independence, they fail to get a majority. Whenever they vote for statehood, they fail to get a majority. It isn't just the GOP keeping Puerto Rico a territory.
    Nonbinding ones with very little voter turnout, and AOC has called them little better than polls.
    A "shit or get off the pot" ballot would include only the options of statehood or independence.
    AOC prefers that approach - binding referendums. She wants Puerto Rico "decolonized", but she doesn't take sides on statehood vs. independence.
    A binding referendum does not have to be limited to those options. It may also have a 'keep the statu quo' option.

3. Top | #133
    Contributor
    There has been violence in the past by PR nationalists. Statehood could open old wounds. As it is PR continues to demonstrate an inability of around 4 million people to govern themselves. A reliable power grid for the small population is not exactly rocket science.

The way it is they have to vote for independence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_P...tus_referendum

A referendum on the political status of Puerto Rico was held on December 13, 1998.[1] Voters were given the choice between statehood, independence, free association, being a territorial commonwealth, or none of the given options. A majority voted for the latter, with a turnout of 71.3%.[2]

Five alternatives were listed on the ballot: "limited self-government"; "free association"; "statehood"; "sovereignty"; and "none of the above." Disputes arose as to the definition of each of the ballot alternatives; and commonwealth advocates, among others, reportedly urged a vote for "none of the above." They asserted that the commonwealth definition on the ballot "failed to recognize both the constitutional protections afforded to our U.S. citizenship and the fact that the relationship is based upon the mutual consent of Puerto Rico and the United States." In the end, a slim majority of voters in that plebiscite selected "none of the above" (50.3%).[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...evolts_of_1950

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_U...oting_incident

The United States Capitol shooting incident of 1954 was an attack on March 1, 1954, by four Puerto Rican nationalists; they shot 30 rounds from semi-automatic pistols from the Ladies' Gallery (a balcony for visitors) of the House of Representatives chamber in the United States Capitol. They wanted to highlight their desire for Puerto Rican independence from US rule.

The nationalists, identified as Lolita Lebrón, Rafael Cancel Miranda, Andres Figueroa Cordero, and Irvin Flores Rodríguez, unfurled a Puerto Rican flag and began shooting at Representatives in the 83rd Congress, who were debating an immigration bill. Five Representatives were wounded, one seriously, but all recovered. The assailants were arrested, tried and convicted in federal court, and given long sentences, effectively life imprisonment. In 1978 and 1979, they were pardoned by President Jimmy Carter; all four returned to Puerto Rico.

I could look up the total aid per person over the last 40 years. In the 80s there were tax incentives for American business to invest.

Intel built a plant there.

I am not a public figure so I can be blunt. PR is a welfare state. It is not clear given climate change and increasing storms whether or not the island is maintainable.

4. Top | #134
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I am not a public figure so I can be blunt. PR is a welfare state. It is not clear given climate change and increasing storms whether or not the island is maintainable.
    Those with smarts headed to the mainland long ago, leaving a dependent population that can't do anything right.

5. Top | #135
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are advantages and disadvantages to statehood. There are also advantages and disadvantages to independence. There are also advantages and disadvantages to their current current status as territory.

Is it possible that they overall prefer their status as territory over that of state or independent?

6. Top | #136
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think Puerto Rico liked their independence when the US was giving corporations tax incentives to do business there. Since those incentives are gone, I think Puerto Rico really likes the idea of statehood. Seems to be a bit of poetic conflict of thought there.

With the likelihood of Senators from the state being Democrat, there will need to be a Missouri like compromise where the unpopulated portion of Maine gets spun off as it own state... again, providing Republicans with 2 equal Senators to offset Puerto Rico.

7. Top | #137
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Those with smarts headed to the mainland long ago, leaving a dependent population that can't do anything right.
    I went to school with PR kids in the 50s 60s. In the news there is a new version of West Side Story on Broadway

8. Top | #138
    Contributor
    I do not see how statehood would help PR. If it did happen then any green card holder or citizen could move there and buy land. Puerto Ricans would have no special preference or deference under COTUS. A culture clash.

As a state PR can not be a Puerto Rican state. I doubt they would like the consequences.

https://www.puertoricoreport.com/con...d-puerto-rico/

Puerto Rico, which can legally be treated differently from a state, gets a lower percentage of federal funds than a state would. The federal share for Puerto Rico is currently 55%, even though half the residents of Puerto Rico were eligible for Medicaid before the hurricane season. If Puerto Rico were a state, the federal government would officailly pay 83%.
    https://www.macpac.gov/wp-content/up...uerto-Rico.pdf

Puerto Rico finances its portion of Medicaid program costs primarily through general funds and revenue from the municipalities (CMS 2016e). However, the funds provided by BBA 2018 are available at a 100 percent matching rate. Total spending In FY 2018, federal Medicaid spending in Puerto Rico was $2.29 billion,