Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parking: Driving Up or Backing In?

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Less likely to get dings in your car from people parking too close, opening their doors, shopping trollies, etc.

2. Top | #22
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

100% of the time you are backing into an empty parking space, unless you are a complete moron.
    Backing into an unconfined space verses a confined space, but one shouldn't need to point out that obvious attribute when talking among a bunch of non-morons.
    There are no unconfined spaces. Just ones where you can't necessarily detect the rapidly changing confines until you reverse into their path.
    OFFS.

3. Top | #23
    Driving up.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: whoops. I got this thread mixed up with another one. This one isn't about sex.

4. Top | #24
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

There are no unconfined spaces. Just ones where you can't necessarily detect the rapidly changing confines until you reverse into their path.
    OFFS.
    That's quite OK; There's no need to apologise for being wrong. Lots of people suffer the same misconception, and are equally at odds when put on the spot and asked to rationalise their incorrect, incoherent, and unreasonable position.

People drive in forwards because they've never seriously thought about whether there might be a better option. It's all part and parcel of the fact that most people never think through their actions, they just do things the way they always did them. And then scramble for a rationalisation to avoid having to say "I've never really thought about that".

5. Top | #25
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    By means of your advanced psychic abilities?
    No. I save those for special occasions. Here, rather by means of backing out slowly and watching as I do. Never had a problem.

6. Top | #26
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Since this thread appeared, I've switched to backing in.

Backing in is slightly more complicated than just driving in, which is already extremely easy in a small car.

However, driving straight out is far, far easier and safer than backing out (i.e. creeping out hoping that other drivers--and trolley-driving pedestrians--see you and wait).
    By my math backing in is more of a hassle than backing out. 99% of the time you're backing out into an empty or near empty lane-way, unless you live on a busy street.
    Indeed. But maybe it is a matter of where you are. In a busy lot where people are aggressive drivers speeding down parking lanes and not looking for other cars, maybe it would be smarter to back in/drive out.

7. Top | #27
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Some people cheat in fancy modern cars and have parking cameras and sensors. How useful are they? I have not tried them yet.

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Some people cheat in fancy modern cars and have parking cameras and sensors. How useful are they? I have not tried them yet.
    I find them very useful. My insurance agent told me seven or eight years ago he would never buy another car without a backup camera, and I agree with that sentiment. The sensors are invaluable too when backing out, for those of us who pull straight in. They're not only sensitive enough to alert for oncoming traffic, but also for pedestrian traffic, loose grocery carts, etc.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    That's not cheating. This is.

But I agree with pulling through. Why reverse at all if you don't have to? Unfortunately some parking lots have these concrete blocks installed to prevent people from doing so.

10. Top | #30
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I always back in. I have done so since my first two cars always needed jump starts.
    But then over the years I have come to appreciate that when you back in, you know the conditions as you pull up. A blinker is sufficient for notifying other cars of your intent. You don’t know what it wll be like when you leave. Nosing out is always easier in a crowded lot, since you don’t need anyone to stop to make space for you to back up before going forward. Exceptionally handy leaving a concert or show when it is super crowded. And often allows you to make extra space on the driver door side.