Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Parking: Driving Up or Backing In?

1. Top | #31
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    After starting and reading the responses to this thread, I tried backing in a few times. Not a fan of it. It's just too much effort for too little gain. I don't have any issue with backing out slowly and seeing the path i am back out into is clear.

2. Top | #32
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    After starting and reading the responses to this thread, I tried backing in a few times. Not a fan of it. It's just too much effort for too little gain. I don't have any issue with backing out slowly and seeing the path i am back out into is clear.
    I knew it! You've dished yourself now! You do not live on the South Pole.

3. Top | #33
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It’s definitely a matter of practice. It will be too much effort for the first while. But after practice it is just as easy going in fwd v backward. As I teach my kids to drive I insist that they back in every time so that the day they have to back somewhere due to circumstances is not the first time they have to back up. They claim they are glad for this, now that they’ve been driving 6 months and 3 years, respectively.

4. Top | #34
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Some people cheat in fancy modern cars and have parking cameras and sensors. How useful are they? I have not tried them yet.
    I've had a backup camera for years now and absolutely love it. I don't back into spaces but it gives a much better view of what's behind you than looking over your shoulder.

It's made me want to lynch Congress--the law specifically prohibits moving video the driver can see, with the exception of backup cameras. The exception is too narrow, it should apply to all forms of assist cameras. For those of us who do not parallel park a lot cameras that show the corners of the car would be very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    I always back in. I have done so since my first two cars always needed jump starts.
    But then over the years I have come to appreciate that when you back in, you know the conditions as you pull up. A blinker is sufficient for notifying other cars of your intent. You don’t know what it wll be like when you leave. Nosing out is always easier in a crowded lot, since you don’t need anyone to stop to make space for you to back up before going forward. Exceptionally handy leaving a concert or show when it is super crowded. And often allows you to make extra space on the driver door side.
    I normally drive a car small enough that if I needed a jump I would be able to push it out of it's space. (Obviously, assuming reasonably level terrain.)

5. Top | #35
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Some people cheat in fancy modern cars and have parking cameras and sensors. How useful are they? I have not tried them yet.
    I've had a backup camera for years now and absolutely love it. I don't back into spaces but it gives a much better view of what's behind you than looking over your shoulder.

It's made me want to lynch Congress--the law specifically prohibits moving video the driver can see, with the exception of backup cameras. The exception is too narrow, it should apply to all forms of assist cameras. For those of us who do not parallel park a lot cameras that show the corners of the car would be very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    I always back in. I have done so since my first two cars always needed jump starts.
    But then over the years I have come to appreciate that when you back in, you know the conditions as you pull up. A blinker is sufficient for notifying other cars of your intent. You don’t know what it wll be like when you leave. Nosing out is always easier in a crowded lot, since you don’t need anyone to stop to make space for you to back up before going forward. Exceptionally handy leaving a concert or show when it is super crowded. And often allows you to make extra space on the driver door side.
    I normally drive a car small enough that if I needed a jump I would be able to push it out of it's space. (Obviously, assuming reasonably level terrain.)
    So does almost everyone. A smart car is too heavy for a single person to safely manage pushing it on a hill; And on level ground, a vehicle massing 3,000kg is movable with the transmission in neutral and the brakes disengaged, at least for a couple of car lengths. You just need to go very slowly - which you should be doing anyway.

All forces are irresistible, and no objects are immovable. The rolling resistance of even a large SUV is tiny (assuming tyres that are not dangerously underinflated), so it's just a matter of overcoming inertia, which is a function of how much time you have, not how much force you can exert.

My vehicle masses in excess of two tonnes, and I have pushed it out of a flat parking space singlehanded, when it had a flat battery.