Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed prophecy.

1. Top | #111
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I think my original sentence makes sense no matter what you think God is.
    Not to me. If it had been speak about god, instead of speak for god, maybe.

I think god is just an idea (or ideas) in the minds of humans. Nothing more. I don't think you do.
    No, I don't. But I'm willing to entertain the thought, just like anything else people say about the matter.

2. Top | #112
    I am and always have been agnostic on the existence of the various potrayals of God, or other deities and spirits for that matter. I don't apologize for that, it has just always seemed like the most rational position to me.
    But we're not talking about the existence of the portrayals. In fact, being agnostic about the existence of the portrayals doesn't make any sense. They clearly do exist. I can't for the life of me think why you put the matter that way, but fudging springs to mind.

Isn't there a slight contradiction in saying 'who am I to speak for god?' and also saying you don't necessarily believe god exists?

To be honest, I think that is part of the reason some of us heathens here sometimes wonder what your position actually, really is, or whether your agnosticism is something of a convenience, in discussions, to allow you to avoid.....the aspects of belief in god which are in some way problematic to justify. Such as dud prophets of god.

"into every gap they put their delusion, their stopgap, which they called God". Etc. And no, I am not necessarily using that line in exactly the same way that Shakespeare, or Nietzsche, or whoever, originally used it.
    Why would I want to justify any of that in the first place? I'm not and never have been nor have ever aspired to be unthinking.

3. Top | #113
    I think my original sentence makes sense no matter what you think God is.
    Not to me. If it had been speak about god, instead of speak for god, maybe.

I think god is just an idea (or ideas) in the minds of humans. Nothing more. I don't think you do.
    No, I don't. But I'm willing to entertain the thought, just like anything else people say about the matter.

Hey, I am willing to entertain the thought. But you wouldn't catch me me saying 'who am I to speak for god? Because that seems to imply more than merely entertaining the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I want to justify any of that in the first place?
    You wouldn't want to. That's sort of the point. You're smart. You know which side of the bread your beliefs are buttered on. Not the best use of an idiom. I accept that. Implies you deliberately choose what suits you. I realise you don't do that.

I'm not and never have been nor have ever aspired to be unthinking.
    I would never have suggested you are, do, or had (aspired to that).

4. Top | #114

Hey, I am willing to entertain the thought. But you wouldn't catch me me saying 'who am I to speak for god? Because that seems to imply more than merely entertaining the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I want to justify any of that in the first place?
    You wouldn't want to. That's sort of the point. You're smart. You know which side of the bread your beliefs are buttered on. Not the best use of an idiom. I accept that. Implies you deliberately choose what suits you. I realise you don't do that.

I'm not and never have been nor have ever aspired to be unthinking.
    I would never have suggested you are, do, or had (aspired to that).
    Why on earth would I deliberately believe something that "doesn't suit me"???

And yes you have, indeed you have been insulting me in various ways for several pages now.

5. Top | #115
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    The prophesy appears to have failed, nothing happened as described within the given timeframe, or anytime since....so what are the implications of that failure for theists?
    They had to do what all followers of a Millenialist prophet do after the end: adapt and find a way to reframe it. I happen to have the acquaintance of some people who went through this very experience a few years ago, when Family Radio predicted the end a bit early and had to dodge... twice.

I note that the timeframe in which this conversation must have been had is the very century we know least about. There are almost no documents hailing from the generation immediately following Jesus' death. Just Paul's letters, the genuine ones that is, and contested mentions in the works of Josephus, Clement and others. Some material evidence, like Christian graffiti on walls. And maybe, depending on who you ask, the gospels themselves, including the one we are discussing here. It is interesting to note that the person who set this book into print almost certainly knew that Jesus wasn't coming back while the apostles yet lived. Even by a conservative estimate, they would have been getting old, and in all likelihood had passed entirely by the time the Gospels reached their final drafts.

But by 'adapting and reframing,' are they not rationalizing failure, thereby maintaining false beliefs and a fatally flawed world view?

6. Top | #116
    The prophesy appears to have failed, nothing happened as described within the given timeframe, or anytime since....so what are the implications of that failure for theists?
    They had to do what all followers of a Millenialist prophet do after the end: adapt and find a way to reframe it. I happen to have the acquaintance of some people who went through this very experience a few years ago, when Family Radio predicted the end a bit early and had to dodge... twice.

I note that the timeframe in which this conversation must have been had is the very century we know least about. There are almost no documents hailing from the generation immediately following Jesus' death. Just Paul's letters, the genuine ones that is, and contested mentions in the works of Josephus, Clement and others. Some material evidence, like Christian graffiti on walls. And maybe, depending on who you ask, the gospels themselves, including the one we are discussing here. It is interesting to note that the person who set this book into print almost certainly knew that Jesus wasn't coming back while the apostles yet lived. Even by a conservative estimate, they would have been getting old, and in all likelihood had passed entirely by the time the Gospels reached their final drafts.

But by 'adapting and reframing,' are they not rationalizing failure, thereby maintaining false beliefs and a fatally flawed world view?
    I should say so.

7. Top | #117
    Archived
    Total Posts

I should say so.
    So where does that leave religious belief as a way of seeing the world? And of course, faith itself as a means of sorting fact from fiction.

8. Top | #118

I should say so.
    So where does that leave religious belief as a way of seeing the world? And of course, faith itself as a means of sorting fact from fiction.
    About the same place as Evolutionary Theory after Piltdown was unmasked, or Socioeconomics after Lenin. One person being wrong about one thing means everyone who shares a label with them is wrong about everything? Really? That's what you're going with?

Non sequitur. Non omnino.

9. Top | #119
    Archived
    Total Posts

About the same place as Evolutionary Theory after Piltdown was unmasked, or Socioeconomics after Lenin. One person being wrong about one thing means everyone who shares a label with them is wrong about everything? Really? That's what you're going with?

How is that a fair comparison? These fakes in science were uncovered with the application of science. Once uncovered, nobody was in a position to rationalize what are clear cases of fakery.

10. Top | #120

How is that a fair comparison? These fakes in science were uncovered with the application of science. Once uncovered, nobody was in a position to rationalize what are clear cases of fakery.
    And yet, Leninists abound.