Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed prophecy.

1. Top | #61
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    There's a prediction doing the rounds on Facebook that the world will end on April 23.

This serves the very useful purpose of identifying the people who don't look past the headlines (almost everyone on FB); If you click on the accompanying article, it was written on 12 April, 2018, and so the prophecy is that the world will end this time LAST year.

Which renders it less than convincing in my book.

ETA a bit of Googling suggests that April 23 is a very popular date for Doomsday predictions; The first of which was 23rd April 1843.

https://www.livescience.com/62293-bo...-april-23.html
    I suggest we ask poli about this one. He'll say stuff. Without denying that it was a failed prophecy.

First question: was it originally written in Koine Greek? This is important. Apparently. It could have been a failed prophecy but at least was written in Koine Greek. These things matter. Poli will explain why.

2. Top | #62
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Maybe those prophets were right and the world did end but no one noticed.
    Nah, I just looked out the window - It's still there.
    Thank goodness. I was too fucking lazy to get up and look.

3. Top | #63
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby sparks View Post
    There's a prediction doing the rounds on Facebook that the world will end on April 23.

This serves the very useful purpose of identifying the people who don't look past the headlines (almost everyone on FB); If you click on the accompanying article, it was written on 12 April, 2018, and so the prophecy is that the world will end this time LAST year.

Which renders it less than convincing in my book.

ETA a bit of Googling suggests that April 23 is a very popular date for Doomsday predictions; The first of which was 23rd April 1843.

https://www.livescience.com/62293-bo...-april-23.html
    I suggest we ask poli about this one. He'll say stuff. Without denying that it was a failed prophecy.

First question: was it originally written in Koine Greek? This is important. Apparently. It could have been a failed prophecy but at least was written in Koine Greek. These things matter. Poli will explain why.
    It's generally more interesting when you really study things and learn what you can from them, yes.

4. Top | #64
    Archived
    Total Posts
    First rule of faith: If a bible verse is written in Greek it is sure to mean the very opposite of what it says or means whenever translated into English, if the original meaning is at odds with dogma.

5. Top | #65
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Ah ok but I would think, they would KNOW that it is supposed to happen as ONLY as according to the sequence of prophesied events in revelation.
    You are completely missing the obvious point. Why is Paul reassuring them that it will happen in their lifetime?

The book of Revelation wasn't even written yet, by the way. I mean seriously. It's ridiculous that I, an atheist, even have to tell you this stuff.
    I think we are perhaps mixing or combining in the discussion different prophesied events here , so let me just examine a little, the previous posts (I rushed it a little ,the last time I was here).

6. Top | #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    It's generally more interesting when you really study things and learn what you can from them, yes.
    Sure, but, it is sort of avoiding the central issue here.

7. Top | #67
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Maybe those prophets were right and the world did end but no one noticed.
    Nah, I just looked out the window - It's still there.
    Yes, but it SPIRITUALLY died...

8. Top | #68
    Sure, but, it is sort of avoiding the central issue here.
    Sorry. I mean, you're trying to calling me out I guess, but I'm not embarrassed by my attitude toward free intellectual inquiry, or preferring it to emotionally driven dogpiles.

9. Top | #69
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    First rule of faith: If a bible verse is written in Greek it is sure to mean the very opposite of what it says or means whenever translated into English, if the original meaning is at odds with dogma.
    Is that meant as a jab at me? When have I ever defended dogma by contesting a translation?

10. Top | #70
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Is that meant as a jab at me? When have I ever defended dogma by contesting a translation?
    No, it wasn't aimed at anyone. Just a general comment on what I've seen happen in these debates.