Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral Burns Down

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member

Notre Dame Cathedral Burns Down

The iconic Notre Dame Cathedral is presently burning down. Paris enjoys 12 million tourists a year to see the centuries-old cathedral, which is now turning to ruins.

(View video on YouTube)

2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Holy shit. That's a nasty loss of historical value.

My mom is literally in tears right now. She spent a lot of time in Paris and loves the place.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Ya, it's bad... the video I linked is just of the spire falling... the whole place is engulfed.
    It's a national disaster for the French... and many many Christians around the world.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    It is just a building. Catholics are weeping and wailing. From the gospels I thought living in the spirit was about the hereafter, not material things in the here and now. God is everywhere not in any one place.

Jews traditionally rejected any icons representing god. From the news there was worship of the alledged crown of thorns stored in the church.

Maybe they can build a hospital over the ruins.

Natural disasters are claimed by some Christians as punishment for gays. Perhaps this is god's punishment for Catholic sex abuse. After all he destroyed humanity for going astray.

I have no sympathy for the worship of icons and places.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I had the TV on for some of the coverage and kept expecting to hear that terrorism was involved. What a relief that (so far) that's not being claimed.
    I'm still waiting for a televangelist to tell us some deeper meaning about God withdrawing his protection. Haven't heard any yet.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Such a shame though that God doesn't like Christians. Apparently. Perhaps they should stop being such cunts? Perhaps that would stop God punishing them? Also, Al Aqsa mosque was burning at the same time. Yesterday wasn't a good day to be a theist.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I'm still waiting for a televangelist to tell us some deeper meaning about God withdrawing his protection. Haven't heard any yet.
    I have overheard my coworker's phone, apparently this isn't an attack, it's just SYMBOLIC of the fact that Europe is 'lost' to the Muslims.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They were able to save Jesus's crucifixion relics of the crown of thorns, a nail and part of the cross. This is important, it means they can crucify him again when he comes back.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What a terrible event. Thankfully the rose windows survived. I don’t understand how atheists could be so callous about this. Notre Dame is not merely a building or a place of worship. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of art in the world. Visiting it you can’t help but be overawed by the craftsmanship that medieval workers put into it. It’s rose windows are just incomparable. I’m so glad they’ve apparently survived the fire.

I don’t have to be a believer to appreciate great art, whether it’s Bach, Michelangelo, Bernini, or one of countless cathedrals in Europe. A building need not have a simple utilitarian aspect to be appreciated. The destruction of Notre Dame is a loss for all humanity, not merely Catholics.

SLD

10. Top | #10
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Such a shame though that God doesn't like Christians. Apparently. Perhaps they should stop being such cunts? Perhaps that would stop God punishing them? Also, Al Aqsa mosque was burning at the same time. Yesterday wasn't a good day to be a theist.

Al Aqsa was burning, too? I hadn’t heard that. Weird.

It was a beautiful building indeed. Difficult to separate that, sometimes, from the profound harm Christianity has done. But I did enjoy the craftsmanship very very much.