Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral Burns Down

  1. Top | #11
    The Doctor's Wife RavenSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    10,599
    Archived
    11,804
    Total Posts
    22,403
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I had the TV on for some of the coverage and kept expecting to hear that terrorism was involved. What a relief that (so far) that's not being claimed.
    I'm still waiting for a televangelist to tell us some deeper meaning about God withdrawing his protection. Haven't heard any yet.
    Not yet, but Glenn Beck is already blaming "Islamists"

    Beck also speculated that the fire may have been intentionally set by "Islamists," despite fire officials ruling out arson...

    “This is their World Trade Center moment, and if this was done by terrorists I think that they will keep it quiet," Beck added.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...-center-moment

  2. Top | #12
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן ǝɥʇ
    Posts
    8,461
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,367
    Rep Power
    69
    One report said that there was restoration work being done and the fire started as a result of an accident involving tools. If that's the case, you'd expect tradesmen to have fire extinguishers handy.

  3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    4,673
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    17,649
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I had the TV on for some of the coverage and kept expecting to hear that terrorism was involved. What a relief that (so far) that's not being claimed.
    I'm still waiting for a televangelist to tell us some deeper meaning about God withdrawing his protection. Haven't heard any yet.
    I did hear an interview with one of the French fire inspectors that was giving some of the possible causes they were investigating. When he mentioned terrorism as one of the possibilities they were looking into the American reporter quickly shut him down explaining that such speculation would not be allow on their network - and surprisingly, it was a Fox news reporter.

  4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    1,962
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    5,824
    Rep Power
    68
    This obviously had nothing to do with terrorism and I think such ancient buildings are more valued as cultural icons with little to do with current religious ideology. I'm sure that the French people consider this a great loss. There are many beautiful churches throughout America and Europe. We don't have to personally value or appreciate them to understand that others do.

    I was relieved to hear that the building was evacuated before anyone was harmed. There are already several French billionaires donating money to aide in the reconstruction, which from what I've heard will take decades to complete. It's shameful that people like Glen Beck are trying to make this political, when the current evidence suggests it had nothing to do with arson.

  5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,598
    Archived
    4,109
    Total Posts
    5,707
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    This obviously had nothing to do with terrorism and I think such ancient buildings are more valued as cultural icons with little to do with current religious ideology. I'm sure that the French people consider this a great loss. There are many beautiful churches throughout America and Europe. We don't have to personally value or appreciate them to understand that others do.

    I was relieved to hear that the building was evacuated before anyone was harmed. There are already several French billionaires donating money to aide in the reconstruction, which from what I've heard will take decades to complete. It's shameful that people like Glen Beck are trying to make this political, when the current evidence suggests it had nothing to do with arson.
    The internet is abuzz with conspiracy theories already. The best I heard was Saturn was in retrograde in Sagittarius. OK!

  6. Top | #16
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    4,761
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    9,800
    Rep Power
    72
    Jesus in the Flames

    "I really see a vivid image," she continued. "I shared it and asked for people's opinions - even my brother in Australia said it looks like Jesus."

    She added that she hopes the religious symbol "will bring comfort to people in Paris and all over the world at this sad time."
    Psychos abound. How would that be comforting? Was Jesus holding a fire hose maybe?

  7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,925
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    2,516
    Rep Power
    59
    She's nuts. Jesus shows up in wood grain patterns on doors, in shower mold, and in bagels.

  8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    4,673
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    17,649
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    She's nuts. Jesus shows up in wood grain patterns on doors, in shower mold, and in bagels.
    Yes, people see images of Jesus everywhere....


  9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,598
    Archived
    4,109
    Total Posts
    5,707
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    She's nuts. Jesus shows up in wood grain patterns on doors, in shower mold, and in bagels.
    Yes, people see images of Jesus everywhere....

    Finally! A Jesus worth believing. Probably even smells like Jesus.

    SLD

  10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,598
    Archived
    4,109
    Total Posts
    5,707
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Jesus in the Flames

    "I really see a vivid image," she continued. "I shared it and asked for people's opinions - even my brother in Australia said it looks like Jesus."

    She added that she hopes the religious symbol "will bring comfort to people in Paris and all over the world at this sad time."
    Psychos abound. How would that be comforting? Was Jesus holding a fire hose maybe?
    From the article: "Looks like a figure of Jesus, or I am tripping?"

    And you really want an honest answer?

    I looked at the photo and finally saw it, maybe a robed like figure but the head was miniature and off balance.

    Well at least we know who to blame for the fire.

Similar Threads

  1. Trump Solves Notre Dame Fire
    By Don2 (Don1 Revised) in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-22-2019, 04:07 PM
  2. Notre Dame on fire
    By Thomas II in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-15-2019, 10:07 PM
  3. The Stupid, It Burns
    By ZiprHead in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-04-2017, 01:30 AM
  4. Ben Carson: The crazy, it burns!!!
    By beero1000 in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 08:04 PM
  5. Obama - As the world burns, the President fiddles.
    By maxparrish in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •