Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOVA Origins Of The Bible

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member

NOVA Origins Of The Bible

Caught part of NOVA today.

Jews are said to be Babylonians captives, but that is misleading. They assimilated into the culture and economically did well. Jewish scribes had time to write.

One thing that came up was that the Sargon myth has him being cast into river in a basket of rushes. Turns out the Moses story of being cast into river was common in different myths.

The Jewish scribes would have spoken and read Babylonians. They were immersed in the stories of the culture.

What I got was a picture of Jewish people without a homeland fabricated a mythology that includes an origins or creation myth as all cultures had.

It was also proposed that the ziggerat in Babylon was the basis of the Babel story. It would be interesting to trace the origin of the word Babel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargon...Origin_legends

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggurat

It looks like the entire Christian mythology clearly traces back as a derivative of several colures adapted by the Jews.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    At least it sounds better than the various versions from The History Channel, which have very suspect exegesis, to be generous.
    I take all knowledge to be my province.
    -Sir Francis Bacon

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by braces_for_impact View Post
    At least it sounds better than the various versions from The History Channel, which have very suspect exegesis, to be generous.
    Both Nat Geo And history have a mixture of substance and fluff. History more than Nat Geo. They have to fill air time and Ancient Aliens on History probably has a following. It is entertaining to watch.

NOVA is usually taken to be good science.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Babel involved Babylon. They marveled at the construction relative to what used to be done. When you read Genesis, you pick up on how the Hebrews came from different groups of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Both Nat Geo And history have a mixture of substance and fluff.
    It is so bad, I don't even bother to watch any of it as I don't have time to waste on BS.

5. Top | #5
    The "consensus" in these questions drifts a lot from decade to decade; science is helpful but its results are still subject to interpretation.

Certainly though, we should see the Hebrew Scriptures as documents with a social and historical context, whose literary antecedents were all textual traditions from other places. I don't think anyone denies that writing systems developed in Egypt and Mesopotamia long before they reached the Levant, and indeed it is not necessarily the case that all of the Bible's writers were Jewish. Their traditions and practices, at least, must have come from elsewhere, and we should expect genres, tropes, and archetypes in the HS that strongly reflect the existing templates in Egypt and Mesopotamia. Which we do. One of my favorite books on this subject is "Old Testament Parallels: Law and Stories from the Ancient Near East" (Matthews & Benjamin 2007) which uses a number of different categories to compare and contrast the writings of Judeans to those of their neighbors, often verse for verse.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    The "consensus" in these questions drifts a lot from decade to decade; science is helpful but its results are still subject to interpretation.

Certainly though, we should see the Hebrew Scriptures as documents with a social and historical context, whose literary antecedents were all textual traditions from other places. I don't think anyone denies that writing systems developed in Egypt and Mesopotamia long before they reached the Levant, and indeed it is not necessarily the case that all of the Bible's writers were Jewish. Their traditions and practices, at least, must have come from elsewhere, and we should expect genres, tropes, and archetypes in the HS that strongly reflect the existing templates in Egypt and Mesopotamia. Which we do. One of my favorite books on this subject is "Old Testament Parallels: Law and Stories from the Ancient Near East" (Matthews & Benjamin 2007) which uses a number of different categories to compare and contrast the writings of Judeans to those of their neighbors, often verse for verse.
    In many Christian circles that we be considered heresey and you would be vilified.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Babel involved Babylon. They marveled at the construction relative to what used to be done. When you read Genesis, you pick up on how the Hebrews came from different groups of people.
    Both Nat Geo And history have a mixture of substance and fluff.
    It is so bad, I don't even bother to watch any of it as I don't have time to waste on BS.
    I love the Monster Fish show.

7. Top | #7

In many Christian circles that we be considered heresey and you would be vilified.
    Oh nooooooooo! Not that! Anything but that!

The book was also written by Christians, and mostly read in "Christian circles". Life is complicated.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts

Jews are said to be Babylonians captives, but that is misleading. They assimilated into the culture and economically did well. Jewish scribes had time to write.

One thing that came up was that the Sargon myth has him being cast into river in a basket of rushes. Turns out the Moses story of being cast into river was common in different myths.

The Jewish scribes would have spoken and read Babylonians. They were immersed in the stories of the culture.

What I got was a picture of Jewish people without a homeland fabricated a mythology that includes an origins or creation myth as all cultures had.

It was also proposed that the ziggerat in Babylon was the basis of the Babel story. It would be interesting to trace the origin of the word Babel.

It looks like the entire Christian mythology clearly traces back as a derivative of several colures adapted by the Jews.
    Is it possible you could give more information about the program? I am looking through NOVA and PBS materials online and all I can find is "The Bible Unearthed", which is more of an archeological survey. Could it be "Secrets of Noah's Ark" which aired last week?

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post

Is it possible you could give more information about the program? I am looking through NOVA and PBS materials online and all I can find is "The Bible Unearthed", which is more of an archeological survey. Could it be "Secrets of Noah's Ark" which aired last week?
    I caught the last part on PBS Saturday, probably part of Easter weekend. I wrote down Sargon to look him up. I'll check the station site.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Thanks. I appreciate your looking it up, because it sounds fascinating.