Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth outrage among skeptics

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    But is there anyone that is actually a flat earther? Isn’t it like Duck Dynasty... a fake thing?
    I think there are. But it's not intellectual people. So their opinions don't matter.

I know a woman who believes all kinds of nonsense because she believes she has psychic powers and can feel what is true. There's no point arguing against that because she didn't reach her beliefs via rational means. She believes earth is hollow and there lives dinosaurs inside. My reply to that was, "oh, really" and then I changed the subject

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Here's my latest pet peeve. It's not with flat earthers. They're predictably dumb. My problem is with otherwise intelligent and thoughtful skeptics having a problem with flat eathers and talking about it.

Upset skeptic "I don't understand how anybody can believe in flat earth"

Sensible person "These people are boring as fuck, and stupid, and just desperately want to be interesting."

That should be the end of it. ...
    And yet, here's a new thread on TFT.

Physician, heal thyself.
    I'm not talking about flat earthers. I'm talking about skeptics inability to bring up topics that interest me. Its something different

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Here's my latest pet peeve. It's not with flat earthers. They're predictably dumb. My problem is with otherwise intelligent and thoughtful skeptics having a problem with flat eathers and talking about it.

Upset skeptic "I don't understand how anybody can believe in flat earth"

Sensible person "These people are boring as fuck, and stupid, and just desperately want to be interesting."

That should be the end of it. ...
    And yet, here's a new thread on TFT.

Physician, heal thyself.
    I'm not talking about flat earthers. I'm talking about skeptics inability to bring up topics that interest me. Its something different
    Skeptics are under no obligation to restrict themselves to topics you find interesting.

In other news, the world wasn't built for you.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post

Skeptics are under no obligation to restrict themselves to topics you find interesting.

In other news, the world wasn't built for you.
    Just as I'm free to be annoyed by anything I wish to. This annoys me. Anybody is free to not care about my annoyance. I'm a big boy. I can handle it.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Isn't astonishing that there are still people - apparently otherwise normal, no brain damage, not intellectually impaired - who believe in a flat earth?

What does it say about the education system? What does it say about a general understanding of science, physics, astronomy, etc?

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Isn't astonishing that there are still people - apparently otherwise normal, no brain damage, not intellectually impaired - who believe in a flat earth?

What does it say about the education system? What does it say about a general understanding of science, physics, astronomy, etc?
    Is it really? We live in a world where a lot of people believe in God? Is that any stranger?

So far these people have zero influence on policy or anything much. So not really a problem... at all.

On social matters, I put these in the same category as people who are passionate about sports or sailing... While their money could be put to better use, for society,... they're not doing any harm. So what's the biggie?

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    I didn't know flat earthers received any attention, let alone lot of attention. Is this in Europe ? But in general, curiosities such as flat earthers, doomsday cults, survivalists, ghost hunters or whatever get a little cycle of attention every so often, on slow news days where the news anchor says "up next we talk to a guy who thinks his pet gerbil is his reincarnated grandmother". It's just dumb fluff and you switch it off. I doubt the sincerity of people who claim thy think the earth is flat anyway. I heard something on the radio a guy was starting a gofundme to buy a rocket to get himself into space to see if the earth was flat. A dumb filler piece on radio.

8. Top | #18
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    I didn't know flat earthers received any attention, let alone lot of attention. Is this in Europe ? But in general, curiosities such as flat earthers, doomsday cults, survivalists, ghost hunters or whatever get a little cycle of attention every so often, on slow news days where the news anchor says "up next we talk to a guy who thinks his pet gerbil is his reincarnated grandmother". It's just dumb fluff and you switch it off. I doubt the sincerity of people who claim thy think the earth is flat anyway. I heard something on the radio a guy was starting a gofundme to buy a rocket to get himself into space to see if the earth was flat. A dumb filler piece on radio.
    He did actually build his rocket and blasted off in it. You may enjoy this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#6872b25c9b6f

Flat Earth Rocket Man Finally Blasts Off In Homemade Rocket To Prove Earth Is Flat

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSky View Post
    But why does i interest people to the degree it does? I find it mystifying?
    Why do you find it interesting that some skeptics find it interesting that some people believe the earth is flat?
    I don't know. That's why I created this thread.

I do know why people care. It's always fun to talk about how stupid idiots are, since it elevates ourselves. But flat earth is so obviously wrong, there's nothing much to argue against.

Because flat earthism is a gateway to even more damaging stupidity. Once you have been trained to be truly stupid, the sky is the limit.
    Cheerful Charlie

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

Is it really? We live in a world where a lot of people believe in God? Is that any stranger?

So far these people have zero influence on policy or anything much. So not really a problem... at all.

On social matters, I put these in the same category as people who are passionate about sports or sailing... While their money could be put to better use, for society,... they're not doing any harm. So what's the biggie?

Some might say that existence of God/Creator, with no evidence for or against, is not falsifiable. Hence however remote, it is a possibility, while the idea of a Flat Earth has overwhelming evidence against it. More than sufficient evidence to not only prove FE false, but show it to be a completely absurd notion.