Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth outrage among skeptics

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post

I don't know. That's why I created this thread.

I do know why people care. It's always fun to talk about how stupid idiots are, since it elevates ourselves. But flat earth is so obviously wrong, there's nothing much to argue against.

Because flat earthism is a gateway to even more damaging stupidity. Once you have been trained to be truly stupid, the sky is the limit.
    How isn't flat earthism the end of the line? How could it get any dumber than this?

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    I guess i'll put you on ignore, to avoid the possibility (after this) of continuing a conversation past the point where you have said all that needs to ever be said, and in the only way it needs to be said.
    Wise move. Wouldn't want to risk reading something interesting.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't believe in flat earthers. I think they are a fantasy made up by people and don't exist in real life.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post
    I don't believe in flat earthers. I think they are a fantasy made up by people and don't exist in real life.
    I think this is more true than we're led to believe. They get a lot of attention. But it's such a stupid belief, it can't be more than a handful believers

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How stupid is the idea of a six thousand year world/universe....yet there are those who argue for it, and appear to actually believe what they are arguing for.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member
    It only looks round because of the local space time distortion. Gravity actually tends to make things flat.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    How stupid is the idea of a six thousand year world/universe....yet there are those who argue for it, and appear to actually believe what they are arguing for.
    There's a big difference. A huge difference. People who believe in a six thousand year universe swing political power. It's worthy of our attention. Flat Earthers wield no power and never will. It's clearly a club for people who aren't welcome anywhere else and who enjoy life on the fringes and margins of the world. As long as that's all they are, there's zero risk the rest of us. And since their ideas are as idiotic as YECs, then we can ignore them.

8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    There's a big difference. A huge difference. People who believe in a six thousand year universe swing political power. It's worthy of our attention. Flat Earthers wield no power and never will. It's clearly a club for people who aren't welcome anywhere else and who enjoy life on the fringes and margins of the world. As long as that's all they are, there's zero risk the rest of us. And since their ideas are as idiotic as YECs, then we can ignore them.
    Very good point. I do not know about Europe over here the idea of ancient aliens being the source of civilization has a following. Several cable shows have been on for years.

9. Top | #29
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In a venn diagram showing those who believe in a six thousand year old universe and those who believe in a flat Earth, there is a significant overlap.

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yes, an overlap must be there because there is clearly a motive for believing in a flat earth, which is a belief relating to special creation. No such thing as a flat earth could possibly form naturally.