Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1000+ Apostates from Darwinism!

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Not to worry (regards to the OP) they were "Lukewarm" Darwinsts anyway .
    Depending on how much one keeps up with this topic, many of them were never what one would call an active evolutionary scientist. There are a number on that list (and I'm not acn expert by any means) that essentially got degrees to say they have the degree and make money off xian rubes by claiming to now have 'scientific' support for cintelligent designism.

I used to be much more up on the ins and outs of the Discotute when I did it semi-professionally, but I've long since given up that gig. They have very little influence these days, but with the resurgence of the stoopid on the political right, it might be worth keeping a close eye on them again for a while.

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    Not to worry (regards to the OP) they were "Lukewarm" Darwinsts anyway .
    Depending on how much one keeps up with this topic, many of them were never what one would call an active evolutionary scientist. There are a number on that list (and I'm not acn expert by any means) that essentially got degrees to say they have the degree and make money off xian rubes by claiming to now have 'scientific' support for cintelligent designism.
    No doubt if it is the case,... we must remember that you can also make money, refuting the claims.
    I used to be much more up on the ins and outs of the Discotute when I did it semi-professionally, but I've long since given up that gig. They have very little influence these days, but with the resurgence of the stoopid on the political right, it might be worth keeping a close eye on them again for a while.
    Fair point. I understand where you're coming from.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    No doubt if it is the case,... we must remember that you can also make money, refuting the claims.
    Not really. Even serving on the board of directors (and 2 years as VP) was strictly a volunteer gig. No money whatsoever, and it was a ~3 hour drive to get to the board meetings, which were luckily only about once/month. I know of exactly zero people who made money fighting for good science education.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ahh I see, sorry . I mis-read your previous quote ,and responded a little too quickly .

I put it in the context that, rather than making money off xian rubes, they could make money refuting the God claims. ( Not that it makes sense IF they "actually" did become theists at the time.)

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ahh I see, sorry . I mis-read your previous quote ,and responded a little too quickly .

I put it in the context that, rather than making money off xian rubes, they could make money refuting the God claims. ( Not that it makes sense IF they "actually" did become theists at the time.)
    But not too many people who accept evolutionary theory buy a brace of Grade Six intro-to-evolution books to send to Evangelical relatives as Darwin Day presents. We don't even buy those books for ourselves. We read the dust jacket, nod, and put it back on the shelf. If we get a bothersome relative flogging superstition at Thankgiving Dinner, we refer them to biology textbooks.
    The money is in books sold to creationists, but sent out like direct mail adverts in the hopes of converting someone who keeps pointing out the errors in the PRATTS.... Strobel, Hovind, etc.