Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Christians: can you talk about which one of you has the theology right?

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Christians: can you talk about which one of you has the theology right?

In another thread, a christian says they will show us how to be christian. I’d like to propose a discussion where we get to see yiu talk to each other about what’s accurate.

Non christians, clarifying questions only please, not argument.

2. Top | #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    In another thread, a christian says they will show us how to be christian. I’d like to propose a discussion where we get to see yiu talk to each other about what’s accurate.

Not really something we can know, yeah? Knowing the nature of God is always a partial thing. That which we "see through the glass dimly". We can feel it but not know it, at least not as we one day will, and not in a way easily confined to the written word. When I disagree with other Christians publically, it isn't usually about theology. Social policy, yes. These things are existentially critical to resolve as a community. Hermeneutics, I am also always ready to debate, simply because I love the discussion.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

For the official Roman Catholic theology, see Council of Trent and Fourth Lateran Council.
    Cheerful Charlie

4. Top | #4
    The Caput Firmiter, produced at the Fourth Lateran council, is certainly a document of theology. I am not sure what dogma of the Council of Trent you would consider a theological statement. Wasn't soteriology the primary issue at discussion at that council?

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    The Caput Firmiter, produced at the Fourth Lateran council, is certainly a document of theology. I am not sure what dogma of the Council of Trent you would consider a theological statement. Wasn't soteriology the primary issue at discussion at that council?
    The Council of Trent was created to deal with the rise of the Protestant reformation. Trent was meant to clarify the RCC's stance on many theological issues. It is still considered an official outline of important RCC issues. When discussing the varieties of Christianity, it is sometimes hard when people may not be aware of the varieties of Christianity we have had historically, and their specific dogmas. Lutheranism, Calvinism, Methodists, Socinians and many others.
    Cheerful Charlie

6. Top | #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    The Council of Trent was created to deal with the rise of the Protestant reformation. Trent was meant to clarify the RCC's stance on many theological issues. It is still considered an official outline of important RCC issues. When discussing the varieties of Christianity, it is sometimes hard when people may not be aware of the varieties of Christianity we have had historically, and their specific dogmas. Lutheranism, Calvinism, Methodists, Socinians and many others.
    I am a Lutheran by upbringing, and well aware of the Council of Trent and its fallout. What I'm curious about is why you think it was a theological council. They weren't so much there to discuss the nature of God so much as the nature of salvation and what the church as an institution should consider its responsibilities.

7. Top | #7
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am a Lutheran by upbringing, and well aware of the Council of Trent and its fallout. What I'm curious about is why you think it was a theological council. They weren't so much there to discuss the nature of God so much as the nature of salvation and what the church as an institution should consider its responsibilities.
    What is the difference between god and the nature of god? What is the difference between salvation and the nature of salvation?

8. Top | #8
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Not really something we can know, yeah? Knowing the nature of God is always a partial thing. That which we "see through the glass dimly". We can feel it but not know it, at least not as we one day will, and not in a way easily confined to the written word.
    So, for clarity, are you saying that no Christian holds "wrong theology" because there IS NO wrong theology, you can believe anything at all and still be an accurate christian?

So Christian Scientists, for example, are not misleading anyone when they try to convert them?

When I disagree with other Christians publically, it isn't usually about theology. Social policy, yes. These things are existentially critical to resolve as a community. Hermeneutics, I am also always ready to debate, simply because I love the discussion.

What's there to disagree about, though? Maybe their Social Policy is exactly biblical and godly, since it's not really something we can know, yeah?

9. Top | #9
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post

For the official Roman Catholic theology, see Council of Trent and Fourth Lateran Council.
    No can do.
    That does not guarantee understanding of how Christian humans interpret, claim accuracy and use this info.

10. Top | #10
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Let me clarify further the purpose of this thread. A mod can edit this into the OP, if possible, so that new visitors to the thread can understand my hopes/intent.

It is VERY COMMON for christians to try to "teach us" about Christianity.
    It is VERY COMMON for christians to claim we are "interpreting the bible wrong" or some version of, "I know the accurate meaning, you do not," despite both of us having a copy of the book and working brains.
    It is VERY COMMON for Christians to tell us that what we heard from one christian is wrong, and we should listen to the current christian instead.

Here on this forum, a Christian said something like, "I am here to teach you how to be christian". And here on this forum another christian said, "You are interpreting that passage wrong," (this was the unequal yoke, lightness with dark passage) "and most Christians also interpret it wrong, this is what's right."

So my hope and intent in this thread is to LISTEN IN while you all try to convince each other about what's right and what's wrong, to see what arguments you use. It seems that STEP ONE in salvation would be the ability of the people who actually believe the god to be true should be able to convince each other! of what's the right interpretation with enough reason that it's irrefutable, before they have the chutzpah to tell me I'm doing it wrong. If your argument can't even be believable to another christian, why do you think you're qualified to refute my claim that the bible is full of really awful, mean, evil shit?

So I'm am seeking to put my ego on the shelf, take myself right out of it, and listen to you convince each other! and see what your thoughts look like.

It does not advance the discussion to point to writings that christians clearly disagree on and call that a successful discussion between christians. And it does not advance the discussion at all to say, "no one knows, but you atheists are definitely wrong."

Until I can see you all convince each other then all I can see is that my interpretation is perfectly correct - as much as yours is.