Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 197 of 197

Thread: Christians: can you talk about which one of you has the theology right?

  1. Top | #191
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    1,967
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarion Lathria View Post
    So are you trying to get Christians to agree on which kind is the "TRUE CHRISTIAN"? You won't get them to, because every type of Christian thinks of itself as a TRUE CHRISTIAN, and most, not all, of the rest are false Christians.

    Eldarion Lathria
    I don't. Evidence?

  2. Top | #192
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,091
    Archived
    42,293
    Total Posts
    58,384
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarion Lathria View Post
    So are you trying to get Christians to agree on which kind is the "TRUE CHRISTIAN"? You won't get them to, because every type of Christian thinks of itself as a TRUE CHRISTIAN, and most, not all, of the rest are false Christians.

    Eldarion Lathria
    I don't. Evidence?
    Ya, lots of Christians seem quite happy accepting those of different sects and interpretations as part of the same faith.

  3. Top | #193
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    1,967
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarion Lathria View Post
    So are you trying to get Christians to agree on which kind is the "TRUE CHRISTIAN"? You won't get them to, because every type of Christian thinks of itself as a TRUE CHRISTIAN, and most, not all, of the rest are false Christians.

    Eldarion Lathria
    I don't. Evidence?
    Ya, lots of Christians seem quite happy accepting those of different sects and interpretations as part of the same faith.
    As example, the denomination I was raised in, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, is formally in mutual communion with six other denominations, and informal communion with dozens of others. It is common for individuals congregations to assume communion with anyone who desires to share it, or if the pastor is more discriminating, then anyone who has had a Christian baptism. The same could be said of the other five denominations on that same ecumenical agreement. Between them, at least a third of American Christians. The situation in Europe is even more loose. And on the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, the same body signed a statement of common belief with the Roman Catholic Church. While not in full agreement on theology, the two bodies certainly and unequivocally acknowledged their common religious identity and ennumerted a long list with their points of agreement. Creating a space for sealing one of the most historically impactful of religious schisms.

    No one would deny that there are ancient and vituperative conflicts between many Christian groups and denominations, even times of bitter and horrific war, but to focus only on these historical moments, and ignore the casual acceptance most Christians generally extend to visitors in good faith, is either misinformed or dishonest. To most Christians, a baptism is a baptism, even if you have theological disagreements with the recipient. I am heterodox by most people's standards, yet in all of my church- and religion-hopping, have only twice ever been turned away from a Christian community.

  4. Top | #194
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,091
    Archived
    42,293
    Total Posts
    58,384
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I am heterodox by most people's standards
    Well, you need to burn in Hell then, heathen.

  5. Top | #195
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    1,967
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I am heterodox by most people's standards
    Well, you need to burn in Hell then, heathen.
    Maybe so! If so, I suppose my Lord will ensure it at the appropriate time. At least I will be in good company.

  6. Top | #196
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1
    The answer is, and you know this Politesse, - Lutheran.


  7. Top | #197
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    1,967
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ICrying View Post
    The answer is, and you know this Politesse, - Lutheran.



    Shush, it's nothing to brag about.

Similar Threads

  1. Sacrifices - Derail from Christians: can you talk...
    By abaddon in forum General Religion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-30-2019, 06:23 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2018, 08:36 PM
  3. What is Bad Theology?
    By James Brown in forum General Religion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-09-2017, 09:09 AM
  4. Gods from Outer Space: Science Fiction as Theology
    By lpetrich in forum Media & Culture Gallery
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 08:56 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •