Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite pastors, apologists, televangelists, etc.?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Your favorite pastors, apologists, televangelists, etc.?

Even as a nontheist, do you find any interest still in watching or listening to sermons from various Christian preachers or apologists or televangelists over time? Kenneth Copeland is one of my go-to-guys for that role. Even if he was a respected PhD scientist giving a lecture on quantum physics to a lecture of fellow physicists, the guy would still come across as creepy and suspect. As it is, he just happens to be spewing his religious bullshit as well. Still, when having a meal I sometimes turn on his show just for entertainment and for trying to get a better grasp of that mindset that people like him hold.

Recently Jimmy Swaggart was shown on TV giving a sermon from back in 1983. Man, that guy could really deliver rhetorical punches for religion and conservative politics, all intertwined. He was speaking to a packed, almost stadium-sized, church in addition to being broadcast live to hundreds of other churches across the country. I could not fathom having been an atheist in society around that time, and admire those who were and openly advocated for secularism.

Sometimes if Pat Robertson is on with his 700 Club show, I will tune in just to get a glimpse of the guy in his (presumably) last moments.

A couple months ago I had a short-lived email exchange with Ray Comfort where we discussed a few atheist/religious topics. For some reason unknown to me I have a special fascination for him, as well as Kirk Cameron (his sidekick).

The only decent apologetic book that I can ever recall reading was from years ago, JP Moreland’s “Scaling the Secular City.” It was not enough to persuade that God existed, but still seemed to provide the most thoughtful and interesting arguments I had seen at that point. WL Craig’s “Reasonable Faith” and Strobel’s “The Case for Christ” were certainly overhyped.

Do you have any all-time personal favorites, when it comes to pastors, preachers, priests, evangelists, televangelist scammers, apologists, creationists, self-proclaimed prophets, etc.? Do you now just tune them all out completely?

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I was always entertained by Exidor:

(View video on YouTube)

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Back in the 80s, I watched Jim & Tammy before going to work. They were on Toledo TV at 6 a.m. What a couple of maniacs!! Jim was impossibly hyper and upbeat and had the worst polyester wardrobe. Tammy.....ye gods. What a fashion statement. She would wear bandanas tied on like headbands and wail her ridiculous country/gospel tunes.
    Swaggart, as you say, really brought the crazy. Despite his anti-hedonism rants, his house band played stompin' rock music at some point in every broadcast.
    Rex Humbard (so close to Humbug) was as oily as they come.
    Pat Robertson, so chucklesome -- how does this guy drink a beverage? Doesn't he chuckle through every swallow?
    Oral Roberts -- oh my God. The 80 foot Jesus or whatever.
    Falwell -- lugubrious and poisonously right wing. Selling 'The Clinton Chronicles' on VHS tape. What a con artist.
    Robert Schuller -- so, so boring. He should have done ads for Sanka.
    Ernest Angley -- king of the crazies. Healing the deaf: "SAY BABY!!! SAY JEE-SUS!!!" I actually heard an exchange on his show where he asked the mother of a deaf child, "And is he dumb?" and she said, "No, he's quite smart."
    I never got to see Creflo Dollar, but would love to. That's got to be the ultimate televangelist name.
    You could do a whole thread on the processed hair of the holy roller TV stars and their women. And of course the age-old question, 'Who is sending money to these people????' You always hope it's not your rich single aunt. Full disclosure: I once sent Jim and Tammy two bucks, but I wanted to see what their literature was like and I wanted to see how long they'd write me on a two buck donation. (Two mailings exactly.)

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Had a friend who bought into the "seed faith" bullshit. Haven't seen her in years now and I think she may be dead. It was truly bizarre knowing her.

For some reason I used to enjoy listening to the parade of radio preachers who'd come on every weeknight on one of the AM stations here. Each one would do his (or her) thing for maybe half an hour and end with a money-begging segment. For all I know they still do that.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In the 1980s I used to watch Robert Tilton. He was a hoot speaking in tongues and asking everybody for $1000, which was a pretty good chunk of change back then.

Then in the 1990's I used to watch the "Evolution vs Creation comedy hour" by the one and only Ken Hamm.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Many years ago, I worked at a job that was sometimes boring and repetitive. I used to get bored with what was on radio and sometimes checked out the AM religious crap stations. Favorites at his peak was maniac Bob Larson. Who would have young heavy metal idiots call in his program. Bob was quick on the kill button so they usually had 30 seconds to razz him. Despite this, many of them got the better of him anyway. This degenerated into the most bizarre radio I have ever heard. Another fave was Robert Shambaugh. Shambaugh was an old faith healer who had a not very good voice, sounding something like Gabby Hayes. But he knew how to use his voice well and could make you hyperventilate reading the yellow pages. His program was a 30 minute monologue, pure performance art. But strangely enough you could listen for a half hour and not remember a single thing he said. It was pure word salad. Industrial grade bullshit. The punchline was trying to remember a single coherent thought Shambaugh made in a half hour and failing to do so. Always made me laugh.
    Cheerful Charlie

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    There is a slew of them on TV I watch from time to time.

The latest variant is The Jewish Jesus. A rabbi playing to Christians and of course pan handling for money.

8. Top | #8

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    Even as a nontheist, do you find any interest still in watching or listening to sermons from various Christian preachers or apologists or televangelists over time?...

Do you have any all-time personal favorites, when it comes to pastors, preachers, priests, evangelists, televangelist scammers, apologists, creationists, self-proclaimed prophets, etc.? Do you now just tune them all out completely?
    Not sermons, but I do enjoy reading his blog & following him on Twitter: John Pavlovitz

https://johnpavlovitz.com/

If every religious person were more like him, I still wouldn't believe in their gods but I would not hold such a negative opinion of religions and religious people in general.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    Even as a nontheist, do you find any interest still in watching or listening to sermons from various Christian preachers or apologists or televangelists over time? Kenneth Copeland is one of my go-to-guys for that role. Even if he was a respected PhD scientist giving a lecture on quantum physics to a lecture of fellow physicists, the guy would still come across as creepy and suspect. As it is, he just happens to be spewing his religious bullshit as well. Still, when having a meal I sometimes turn on his show just for entertainment and for trying to get a better grasp of that mindset that people like him hold.

Recently Jimmy Swaggart was shown on TV giving a sermon from back in 1983. Man, that guy could really deliver rhetorical punches for religion and conservative politics, all intertwined. He was speaking to a packed, almost stadium-sized, church in addition to being broadcast live to hundreds of other churches across the country. I could not fathom having been an atheist in society around that time, and admire those who were and openly advocated for secularism.

Sometimes if Pat Robertson is on with his 700 Club show, I will tune in just to get a glimpse of the guy in his (presumably) last moments.

A couple months ago I had a short-lived email exchange with Ray Comfort where we discussed a few atheist/religious topics. For some reason unknown to me I have a special fascination for him, as well as Kirk Cameron (his sidekick).

The only decent apologetic book that I can ever recall reading was from years ago, JP Moreland’s “Scaling the Secular City.” It was not enough to persuade that God existed, but still seemed to provide the most thoughtful and interesting arguments I had seen at that point. WL Craig’s “Reasonable Faith” and Strobel’s “The Case for Christ” were certainly overhyped.

My favorite Pastors are those with really big Kohannies! How about the pastor who begged for more tithes to help him buy his long suffering wife a new Maserati?!! But my favorite is Jesse Duplantis who asked his congregation to donate more so that he could buy a more modern jet! 54 million big ones! Unbelievable:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/30/us/je...rnd/index.html