Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you morally superior to a crack whore?

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Are you morally superior to a crack whore?

Assuming you don’t engage in such behavior that is.

SLD

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What sort of moral failings are we ascribing to a crackwhore?

Is there something inherently wrong about trading sexual acts for an addictive drug?

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeage View Post

Is there something inherently wrong about trading sexual acts for an addictive drug?
    Well. Such activity is illegal in all US jurisdictions. I would think the general population consensus would be such activity is immoral. But feel free to answer the question based on your own views. Not others.

SLD

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post

Well. Such activity is illegal in all US jurisdictions. I would think the general population consensus would be such activity is immoral. But feel free to answer the question based on your own views. Not others.

SLD
    Is immoral and illegal interchangeable in this discussion? If a prostitute trades sex for money, what bearing do her financial needs have on her crime?

I'm not sure why trading sex for illegal drugs is considered immoral, even if it is illegal to exchange money for sex. I may have done far worse things than trade sex for drugs.

How is morality measured?

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Is this adding to the burden and frequency of sexually transmitted diseases? Is that immoral?

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Is this adding to the burden and frequency of sexually transmitted diseases? Is that immoral?
    How is this her fault? How did she contract this disease?

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

SLD
    Is immoral and illegal interchangeable in this discussion? If a prostitute trades sex for money, what bearing do her financial needs have on her crime?

I'm not sure why trading sex for illegal drugs is considered immoral, even if it is illegal to exchange money for sex. I may have done far worse things than trade sex for drugs.

Is it not measured by social convention? Certainly though criminal behavior is immoral, IMHO. Granted there are gradations. A murderer is not the equivalent of a speeder. I would suspect though that the vast majority of Americans would consider someone who sells their body and does crack to be an immoral person, even if you do not.

Is it not logical therefore that someone who does not engage in such activity, or worse, is in fact morally superior?

This isn’t just a hypothetical question. It arose recently at my Mothers funeral. I have a crazy older brother whose present girlfriend is basically a crack whore. I think my brother is basically her pimp. I can’t stand her and don’t trust her one iota. I didn’t want her around. My sister agreed. She shouldn’t be invited. But my younger brother was adamant that she be welcomed. He told me I shouldn’t act so morally superior. I thought about it for a second and quipped that I was indeed morally superior to someone like her. I don’t do illegal drugs and I don’t buy whores.

SLD

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'd say about equal.

I have to do unpleasant things for money that aren't so unpleasant that I can't do them too.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think I'm with Bronzeage on this. I don't see a necessary equivalence with law and morality. Still, I'm uncomfortable with the transactional nature of Bronzeage's questioning. What has transaction got to do with morality?

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts

Is it not measured by social convention? Certainly though criminal behavior is immoral, IMHO. Granted there are gradations. A murderer is not the equivalent of a speeder. I would suspect though that the vast majority of Americans would consider someone who sells their body and does crack to be an immoral person, even if you do not.

Is it not logical therefore that someone who does not engage in such activity, or worse, is in fact morally superior?

This isn’t just a hypothetical question. It arose recently at my Mothers funeral. I have a crazy older brother whose present girlfriend is basically a crack whore. I think my brother is basically her pimp. I can’t stand her and don’t trust her one iota. I didn’t want her around. My sister agreed. She shouldn’t be invited. But my younger brother was adamant that she be welcomed. He told me I shouldn’t act so morally superior. I thought about it for a second and quipped that I was indeed morally superior to someone like her. I don’t do illegal drugs and I don’t buy whores.

SLD
    I do not believe morality is measured by social convention, unless you accept that morality can evolve. At one time slavery was a position that people urged as a moral cause. I am old enough to remember Baptist preachers going on about how racial segregation was honoring God's moral law.

Smoking pot is currently deemed immoral only by an ever shrinking percentage of society. My state considers it a crime but my local DA declines to prosecute for possession.

So society evolves. Does that mean morality also evolves? If that is the case, then those of us that don't accept conventional morality may be in the vanguard.

As for addiction itself, I would never consider myself morally superior to an addict, any more than I would consider myself morally superior to a diabetic.

In fact, now that I think about it more, the real immorality I can think of would be someone who deliberately harms another person, or potentially harms another person, for their own benefit. I don't see that category necessarily involving crack whores.