Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 166

Thread: Media treatment of Bernie Sanders: a story in pictures

  1. Top | #71
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    8,654
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    12,098
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    On top of that, he is widely hated by a large majority of Democrats and deservedly so. A very good argument can be made that it his fault entirely that we have Trump to begin with.
    LOL No dear, it is Hillary who has that honour. Bernie was at worst a stark reminder and contrast to Hillary's empty platitudes and "no we can't ; no magical ponies" attitude. He was an actual progressive candidate. She wasn't. He also served as the target for her "Bernie Bros" nonsense (though that was as much or more the media than herself), which was an attempt to attack Bernie with identity politics because Hillary is a woman. It backfired on her come the general when Trump rightly pointed out she was trying to use the "woman card".

    Bernie actually made a point NOT to attack Hillary on irrelevancies. He famously said he had had enough of her damn emails being an issue. He has always been fixated almost entirely on policy, and on bringing the workers back to the party and the party focus back on the workers and the people, rather than on the billion dollar donors and corporations.

    So, yeah, fuck him and the whore he came out of.
    If not for Bernie, you'd not have much traction for folks like AOC, Warren, etc. Bernie opened the door to the left within the Democratic Party. Before him was Occupy Wall Street. It has been slow progress, but it has been progress. The corporate democrats like Hillary have had their time. Its time for the party to return to the people.

  2. Top | #72
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    22,843
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    65,316
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/polit...ire/index.html



    While the table has accurate numbers, they've put Sanders at the bottom row and did this weird arrangement of bottom tier candidates above him but to the right. They could just have easily put the bottom tier candidates below him, put him above Warren or on the same level as Warren. It's weird! Never seen a graphic like this one with one guy at the bottom with no one next to him who is tied for second place.
    I won't lose sleep on that one. It is a little awkward, but the color pulls your attention to the left and it is pretty clear Sanders is polling higher.

  3. Top | #73
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    8,654
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    12,098
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I won't lose sleep on that one. It is a little awkward, but the color pulls your attention to the left and it is pretty clear Sanders is polling higher.
    Yeah that one is a bit of a reach. But some of the others posted above are pretty shocking.

  4. Top | #74
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,041
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    On top of that, he is widely hated by a large majority of Democrats and deservedly so. A very good argument can be made that it his fault entirely that we have Trump to begin with.
    LOL No dear, it is Hillary who has that honour.
    Lol, no little girl, it's not. She beat him by almost three million counted votes (and by upwards of ten million when you include the preference voters who, for various non-partisan reasons, were not able to or felt there was no need to cast their ballots).

    I know you aren't intelligent enough to comprehend how someone can win something and still lose something else, but it will never change the facts.

  5. Top | #75
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    2,126
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    70
    May I ask why you guys are still arguing over the last election when it's been over for more than two years? Voter turn out was poor in the states that Hillary lost. A lot of people were simply tired of the Clintons. I have friends who were stupid enough to vote 3rd party because they worshipped Bernie. I just hope that this doesn't happen again if the candidate isn't exciting or progressive enough for these idiots who helped Trump win. But, can we move on....

    I'm not fan of Bernie, but unlike my spoiled brat friends who refused to vote for Clinton, I will vote for whoever the candidate ends up being, even if it's somebody that I don't like, or who's policies I don't like or who I think is unrealistic etc. I've been voting since 1972 and I've voted for plenty of people who I didn't like, who weren't my first or second choice etc.

    We really need to be more concerned with keeping the House and taking back the Senate. Despite what Trump thinks, a president doesn't have as much power as he thinks, and a president is supposed to represent all of the citizens, and not just his or her base. Far left and far right never seem to understand that! So, even if Bernie were somehow elected president, he's not going to get much of what he wants. Most Democrats are closer to the center than people like Bernie. If he were to become president, he would have to be willing to compromise or nothing will get done. I do believe that Warren is a much better candidate. Although she won't get many of her plans passed, it's obvious that she understands the need to compromise with those who don't agree with her. I'm not so sure about Bernie.

  6. Top | #76
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    8,654
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    12,098
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    On top of that, he is widely hated by a large majority of Democrats and deservedly so. A very good argument can be made that it his fault entirely that we have Trump to begin with.
    LOL No dear, it is Hillary who has that honour.
    Lol, no little girl, it's not. She beat him by almost three million counted votes (and by upwards of ten million when you include the preference voters who, for various non-partisan reasons, were not able to or felt there was no need to cast their ballots).

    I know you aren't intelligent enough to comprehend how someone can win something and still lose something else, but it will never change the facts.
    Read your own text I bolded, dumb ass. Her winning the popular vote meant exactly how much towards you having Trump as your President? She failed. You have Trump because of it. Congratulations.

  7. Top | #77
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,041
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post
    Her winning the popular vote meant exactly how much towards you having Trump as your President?
    Nothing, as it turned out.

    She failed.
    If winning the popular vote meant nothing toward our having Trump as President then she could not have failed, dipshit.

  8. Top | #78
    Veteran Member PyramidHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    3,739
    Archived
    4,389
    Total Posts
    8,128
    Rep Power
    56
    This thread is not about the 2016 election, which is the first election in our nation's history and therefore the only one we can appeal to for lessons about what works and what doesn't, or about whose supporters are/were willing to vote for their primary opponents, or about primary candidates not dropping out of a race when it was apparent they couldn't win.

    In particular, there definitely weren't elections in 2004, 2008, and 2012 that showed anything noteworthy in this regard, especially not involving people named Clinton, Kerry, and Obama, nor their supporters, nor were there other political parties with primaries whose candidates and supporters we can examine for trends.

    There is nothing to learn, because history actually started in 2016, the year Donald Trump spontaneously materialized in the midst of an otherwise perfectly functional representative democracy and somehow won (probably by appealing to moderates, running a civil campaign, having detailed policy proposals that were likely to translate into legislation, and embracing bipartisanship, since that's the only way anybody ever wins an election).

    What matters is that most voters respond to nuance, practicality, sensibility, incrementalism, compromise, free market solutions, affordable access, and means-testing, which explains all that we need to know about 2016, the only election that has ever occurred in the United States, when 99% of Americans came out to vote for their choice of President, Senator, or Congressperson and chose the ones with the most plans and the best bills

  9. Top | #79
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    10,539
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    11,246
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/polit...ire/index.html



    While the table has accurate numbers, they've put Sanders at the bottom row and did this weird arrangement of bottom tier candidates above him but to the right. They could just have easily put the bottom tier candidates below him, put him above Warren or on the same level as Warren. It's weird! Never seen a graphic like this one with one guy at the bottom with no one next to him who is tied for second place.
    I won't lose sleep on that one. It is a little awkward, but the color pulls your attention to the left and it is pretty clear Sanders is polling higher.
    If I don't see another "poll among democrats" until 2021, it will be too soon. Right now, those polls are for selling drugs and insurance and nothing more. They are less than meaningless because the vast majority of dem voters are going to vote for whoever opposes Trump in the general election, whether it was their first choice or their 21st choice.

  10. Top | #80
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Pole
    Posts
    8,654
    Archived
    3,444
    Total Posts
    12,098
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    She failed.
    If winning the popular vote meant nothing toward our having Trump as President then she could not have failed, dipshit.
    She failed to win the presidency, dipshit. That's why you have President Trump, which is what you were trying to say Bernie can arguably be blamed for. No, it isn't on him. It's on her. All he did was try to save you from what she did to you.

Similar Threads

  1. Bernie Sanders on the current state of media today today
    By RVonse in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2018, 08:07 PM
  2. Bernie Sanders about to be #MeTooBoated?
    By Derec in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-10-2017, 04:22 AM
  3. Bernie Sanders - Op Ed
    By Don2 (Don1 Revised) in forum US Presidential Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 07:35 PM
  4. God supports Bernie Sanders.
    By Angry Floof in forum Separation of Church & State
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 06:52 PM
  5. How would Bernie Sanders really like it in Scandinavia?
    By Tammuz in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •