Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Media treatment of Bernie Sanders: a story in pictures

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post
    But CNN fails to mention that their polling data does not include anybody younger than 50.
    It's not the case that they do not have anybody <50, but that there were too few respondents from those age categories to break it down by age and still have a reasonable MOE. I.e. the data of younger people is still included in the overall results, but there is not enough of it to compile a result for those ages only.

For example, 45% of those over 45 prefer Biden, but only 39% prefer Biden totally. 11% of those over 45 prefer Bernie, but 15% of everybody prefer him. That would be impossible if they did not include anybody under 50 ...

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Trump beat HRC who clobbered Sanders. Why would anyone think Sanders has much of a chance to beat Trump?

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Trump beat HRC who clobbered Sanders. Why would anyone think Sanders has much of a chance to beat Trump?
    1. His popularity in the states that gave Trump the win over Clinton

2. The fact that it's no longer 2016 and support for both Sanders and his positions have exponentially grown since then

3. Lack of comparability between the primaries and the general makes your reduction to "A beats B who beats C" overly simplistic

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
    If you want a candidate that inspires hope
    Only an idiot newbie would want a candidate that "inspires hope." This is precisely why the Obama campaign rejected the "hope" message in favor of the "change" message.

It's not a crusade. It's a goddamned job interview.
    People usually only call me an idiot after they met me in person! But that's okay. I don't mean to sound like a complete downer, but I just think that it's going to be a great long shot for Trump to lose in 2020. Republicans love him. The economy is not going into recession. I have great doubts that the left will come out to vote in great enough numbers to beat Trump. My hope is that we identify several extremely competent younger candidates for 2024; that we retain the house, and take the senate.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member

2. The fact that it's no longer 2016 and support for both Sanders and his positions have exponentially grown since then

3. Lack of comparability between the primaries and the general makes your reduction to "A beats B who beats C" overly simplistic
    Your understanding of how the general works vs primaries is opposite! The candidates who win in the general are those able to attract the greater amount of undecided and/or moderates while retaining your base. You seem to advocate the candidate with the stronger base but less popular support.

6. Top | #16
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    And what about New Hampshire, Virginia, and Colorado?

It is currently 2018 and exponential growth doesn't look exponential in just two years.

Sanders was stumping for Clinton when all was said and done.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    And what about New Hampshire, Virginia, and Colorado?
    What about em?

It is currently 2018 and exponential growth doesn't look exponential in just two years.
    Did you write that in the past? It's 2019 dude, 2016 was three years ago

Sanders was stumping for Clinton when all was said and done.
    A fact many people conveniently forget. But my point was that laughing dog was implying Clinton losing to Trump but winning against Sanders were comparable in some way, even though they were separate contests to attract different voters for different reasons.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Does anybody have any reaction at all to the main purpose of this thread, which is to reveal that the media are already transparently lying in their reporting of Sanders? We can have a thread about his overall chances, but this one is supposed to be about the media's treatment of him.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Only 53% of Democrats named Bernie prefer Bernie over Joe. But 61% of Democrats named Joe prefer Joe over Bernie. Except in the 23-29 age range, where the inverse is true.
    Therefore...

Jesus H Christ, it seems like paralysis by analysis is all the media are trying to accomplish. Buzzwords from the "B-team" like Bernie, Beto, Buttigieg, Biden etc. and trigger words from the "T-Team" like Trump, treason etc., are their stock in trade regardless of the facts on the ground, and every outlet is going to milk them for all they're worth.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Does anybody have any reaction at all to the main purpose of this thread, which is to reveal that the media are already transparently lying in their reporting of Sanders? We can have a thread about his overall chances, but this one is supposed to be about the media's treatment of him.
    Most of us probably don't care. We're what, almost 18 months from the actual election? So much is going to change between now and then. I like some of Bernie's platform. I don't like the way his followers handled themselves in 2016. I think because of his rabid base, which he has only made mild attempts to distance himself from, is poisonous to the DNC and the democratic process overall.

I don't actually care that much (which is not to say not at all) who wins the Dem primary, they will get my vote. It is a shitty position to be in, but the shitheel in the WH is just that bad. I actually think that if Bernie (or Biden, whom I used to like a lot more, and probably still prefer over Bernis) wins, he has less chance of beating the orange shitgibbon than most of the others, since so many people are turned off by him.

You still haven't posted any evidence that his popularity has increased "exponentially" since 2016. Based on my experience, it's been the opposite, but it probably depends on the people around me more than anything else. Got any polls to demonstrate this exponential skyrocketing?