Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Media treatment of Bernie Sanders: a story in pictures

1. Top | #281
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Finally (today at least, I hope), this lovely headline from The Hill:

Imagine reporting on a head-to-head poll in a swing state, thinking 2% is a difference worth mentioning, and yet failing to highlight the candidate who actually beats Trump in that matchup

2. Top | #282
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidHead View Post

Imagine reporting on a head-to-head poll in a swing state, thinking 2% is a difference worth mentioning, and yet failing to highlight the candidate who actually beats Trump in that matchup

They failed to mention all the other candidates as well. The point here is that two front runners, Biden and Warren, are actually at great risk of losing to Trump. That Bernie can beat Trump isn't any more news than that Yang and Tulsi can also beat Trump. Bernie and Yang are the only two that can pluck out 10% of Trump's own voters, which is a separate story people should be reporting.

3. Top | #283
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We now return to Bernie Sanders, whose head is actually this color in real life

I noticed this too. It was pretty bad.

The mainstream media has been against Bernie since he ran in 2016. The only reason they are now supporting Warren is because she's a compromise so they can still avoid Bernie. Warren has many of Bernie's talking points but is also a little cozy with the establishment and I think they think they can control her. But even that is a pretty big accomplishment. Warren is a huge step up from Hillary Clinton, even if Warren only winds up meaning half of what she says.

4. Top | #284
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post

They failed to mention all the other candidates as well. The point here is that two front runners, Biden and Warren, are actually at great risk of losing to Trump. That Bernie can beat Trump isn't any more news than that Yang and Tulsi can also beat Trump. Bernie and Yang are the only two that can pluck out 10% of Trump's own voters, which is a separate story people should be reporting.
    The poll didn't pit Yang (or any other candidate outside Sanders, Warren, and Biden) against Trump, so there was nothing to mention.

5. Top | #285
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nate Silver proves again he can't do math:

Looking a little closer...

Warren's numbers improved by 2.2, which is the "most", while Sanders' numbers improved by only 2.2, which is "meh"
    Notice how despite consistently now coming in 4th or 5th in polls, Yang is yet again not even mentioned in the above text blurb. Yang gets media blackout as bad or worse than Bernie did back in 2016.

6. Top | #286
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Isn't Krystal Ball on The Hill? I've been watching some of her stuff, along with her co-host, Sagar, and she seems to be very pro-Bernie. Weird then that the Hill would exclude him from their reporting. Or maybe its a different The Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal Ball from The Hill before the latest debate
    No. There are only three candidates on the stage who have the credibility to hit Warren where it hurts, Bernie, Tulsi, and Yang. Because Warren's vulnerability isn't that she's too far left or too centrist, it's that she's too establishment. Too cozy with the system that everyone hates. That she plays too many of the Washington games that voters are utterly disgusted with.

Washington games are why when Warren's asked about Biden's soft-corruption she gets flustered. Do I say what I actually believe or do I preserve the chance to be Biden's VP or Treasury Secretary?

That's why she's a crusader against corporate greed except when it comes to the medical device manufacturers who bring home the bacon in her own home state. Instead, Warren repeatedly pushed loopholes for them and was a primary mover behind repealing the medical device tax that was passed with Obamacare. That's why Warren calls herself a progressive but endorsed HRC once it was clear she'd be the nominee. That's why Warren promised the party that all this grassroots donor stuff would not apply to them. Her campaign made sure to make clear that Warren will still do high dollar fundraisers for the DNC. It's why she opposed single payer when she was running for Senate, but says I'm with Bernie now that the base wants to hear that. She's a more progressive version of the same old Washington stuff. But it would probably be pretty hard for Kamala Harris or another centrist to make that case.
    I think Krystal nails this directly on the head, and that this is the key difference between Warren and Bernie. Bernie outright declares himself a threat to the establishment. Whereas Bernie will jump into change with both feet, Warren will keep one foot firmly in line with the current establishment, in case the wind blows the other way. I knew of and was supporting Warren in 2014, before I heard of this Bernie Sanders guy. In 2016, especially after Warren failed to back Bernie in the primary against Hillary, it became clear to me that Bernie is a truer progressive voice. I'm all in for Andrew Yang now, but Bernie would still be my second choice.
    Last edited by Jolly_Penguin; 10-18-2019 at 07:12 PM.

7. Top | #287
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oh, so Warren's problem is that she is a pragmatic progressive who understands that sometimes one has to make compromises in the real world to make real progress.

8. Top | #288
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bernie just had a heart attack. If elected, he would be about 7 months short of 80 years old. Both of those facts are or should be deeply concerning no matter how much you admire his positions or the man.

Biden is only a year younger. He’s had serious health problems.

Warren is 8 years younger than Bernie and older than I’d like any POTUS to be in an ideal world. Two observations: Bernie is showing his age very badly, IMO worse than Biden and much worse than Warren. I have grave doubts about either Sanders or Biden being able to serve even half of a term effectively. I really wish thatvwarren were 10 years younger.

Age really really does matter. Trump has always been an arrogant asshole but he hasn’t always seemed as though he has dementia. To get a little distance: Regan was just shy of 70 when he was sworn in. His dementia was obvious to me by his second term, albeit much less obvious than Trump’s mental decline.

Age matters. It matters a great deal. The top three candidates are too old to be able to withstand the rigors of the office. Warren seems to be young for her age and to be the most agile mentally. That matters.

This is separate from whose platform you like the best or who you think would be most effective and even who you think could beat Trump.

9. Top | #289
    Archived
    Total Posts
    OK So they won't be able to duck when an assassin gets by security so what. What you'd want to see in a president is a well formed presidential capacity, theory, and record with extensions to the effecting elements in the world around her. It's obvious that Biden has a strong network of competent and knowledgeable persons who share his basic philosophy around him.

So too, does Warren at least in ones with expertise in the machinery of policy. By her lack of significant leaders in the US signing up to endorse her she leaves doubt about whether she will have strong access to proven people who will pull levers to get things done.

Bernies is a stance person with strong creds in social democracy circles. His endorsement circle is pretty small and it tends toward those who advocate rather than legislate.

My sense is Kobashar and Booker will work well with legislators and they do have centerist humanist instincts. Still their records are pretty thing and Kobashar's executive experience is pretty shallow.

Both of the rich guys demonstrate strong administrative background but do those backgrounds translate to being in competent governing people.

A review of presidents between 40 and 50 years old when they came to power leaves only one with a strong social and administrative record, Teddy Roosevelt from a much simpler time. So If you are an ageist, look for someone between 50 and 62-3. This lines up with disruptive leaders in government and industry.

Bottom line take the one who inspires you regardless of age. Be sure she is one who has demonstrated she can bring competent people in to get the business of launching a new era in. Age is not the issue. We're not electing Gandhi, Indians did and then he was assassinated. Still the government succeeded wit Nehru and others of like mind. Presidents select vice presidents. So if both have what it takes, vote for that team that makes your heart go pitty pat. Dismiss age and vote your vision.

10. Top | #290
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Bernie just had a heart attack. If elected, he would be about 7 months short of 80 years old. Both of those facts are or should be deeply concerning no matter how much you admire his positions or the man.

Biden is only a year younger. He’s had serious health problems.

Warren is 8 years younger than Bernie and older than I’d like any POTUS to be in an ideal world. Two observations: Bernie is showing his age very badly, IMO worse than Biden and much worse than Warren. I have grave doubts about either Sanders or Biden being able to serve even half of a term effectively. I really wish thatvwarren were 10 years younger.

Age really really does matter. Trump has always been an arrogant asshole but he hasn’t always seemed as though he has dementia. To get a little distance: Regan was just shy of 70 when he was sworn in. His dementia was obvious to me by his second term, albeit much less obvious than Trump’s mental decline.

Age matters. It matters a great deal. The top three candidates are too old to be able to withstand the rigors of the office. Warren seems to be young for her age and to be the most agile mentally. That matters.

This is separate from whose platform you like the best or who you think would be most effective and even who you think could beat Trump.
    Bernie is so much better than anyone else running that it's not about him anymore. If he gets elected and drops dead the day after his inauguration, whoever he picks for VP will also be better than anyone else running. It won't change what matters about his candidacy, which is the popular movement it depends on and inspires, not the man himself. The only way Bernie wins is if people come out in droves willing to fight against the bad actors and deep corruption in all levels of our economy and politics. If that happens, Bernie is no longer needed, and he knows this.

He just recovered from a heart attack and remains the most popular politician in the country who just won the endorsement of the second most popular politician in the country, and just broke every campaign rally record in New York yesterday when over 27 thousand people showed up to welcome him back. What we have here is nothing short of a historic opportunity to finally lift the working class and poor out of political irrelevance. Imagine having to tell your great grandchildren that you weren't a part of this movement because you were too focused on his age.