Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Kama Sutra on Abstinence

  1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    15,465
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    39,965
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I note that the Kama Sutra does in fact have a very positive attitude toward abstinence, especially as one well-bounded component of one's overall erotic life. Essentially, as a sex position of sorts. Or at least, as per the OP, a position with respect to sexual conduct that is sometimes very appropriate. For example, it suggests that total abstinence during the first week of a new marriage is far superior to trying to unleash your entire pent up adolescence-worth of sexual frustration on your partner on the first night you're together.
    I have served with a guy who could not have sex with his wife the first week after we pulled into port. They were too ....energetic.... and broke furniture.

    The Sailor Home From The Sea
    He sleeps on the couch. She locks the bedroom door. For one week, they meet daily on opposite sides of the bed and discuss what they would like to do to each other. When they can do it in full sentences they begin to meet at the foot of the bed...

  2. Top | #12
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    10,503
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    11,210
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    I have served with a guy who could not have sex with his wife the first week after we pulled into port. They were too ....energetic.... and broke furniture.
    Obviously a waste of shore leave... and that Ikea stuff doesn't hold up to energetic use.

  3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member Wiploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,857
    Archived
    14,058
    Total Posts
    15,915
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I note that the Kama Sutra does in fact have a very positive attitude toward abstinence, especially as one well-bounded component of one's overall erotic life.
    Probably why the appendix shows all those abstinence positions.

  4. Top | #14
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,100
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiploc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I note that the Kama Sutra does in fact have a very positive attitude toward abstinence, especially as one well-bounded component of one's overall erotic life.
    Probably why the appendix shows all those abstinence positions.
    I take it you "read" the book by flipping through all the pictures and leaving it at that? It is a religious work, not just a sex manual.

  5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member Wiploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,857
    Archived
    14,058
    Total Posts
    15,915
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I take it you "read" the book by flipping through all the pictures and leaving it at that? It is a religious work, not just a sex manual.
    I've never seen the book. I made up the bit about appendices.

    I thought we were joking here. Sorry I struck a nerve.

  6. Top | #16
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    11,707
    Archived
    8,254
    Total Posts
    19,961
    Rep Power
    70
    Why Kamasutra is no all about sex

    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ow/6129753.cms

  7. Top | #17
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    2,100
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiploc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I take it you "read" the book by flipping through all the pictures and leaving it at that? It is a religious work, not just a sex manual.
    I've never seen the book. I made up the bit about appendices.

    I thought we were joking here. Sorry I struck a nerve.
    Then I similiarly apologize for taking you too straightforwardly. The maligning of the Tantrics by the Victorian British academic circles and their descendants does happen to be a pet peeve of mine, sorry! I see it as symptomatic of the unhealthy general disparagement of sex by the monastics and outright perversion of the erotic by the Pietists.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •