Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What would count as proof of God

1. Top | #141
    Stephen T-B
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If a god were to demonstrate it exists in a way which made denying its existence impossible, it would have transferred itself from the metaphysical realm to the physical.

And having become part of the natural order, it might be fascinating and intriguing in the way an octopus or slime mould is, but not an object of worship, in which case those humans who require an old-fashioned sort of deity would pretty soon invent one...though more probably a pantheon of gods, and humanity would be back to square one.

2. Top | #142
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Steve isn't (to my understanding) talking about Q, but an episode where a woman claims to be a planet's god. Ultimately Picard is able to reenact her god-like abilities. The Q were god like.
    The Q were not god-LIKE. They were omnipotent, omniscient petty immortal assholes.
    Have you read the Tanakh?! You pretty much explained Yahweh.
    I never could understand how Picard could keep looking at Q and flat out telling him, "You're no god!" What the fuck was he (they?) lacking?
    Probably branding.

3. Top | #143
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    If a god were to demonstrate it exists in a way which made denying its existence impossible, it would have transferred itself from the metaphysical realm to the physical.

And having become part of the natural order, it might be fascinating and intriguing in the way an octopus or slime mould is, but not an object of worship, in which case those humans who require an old-fashioned sort of deity would pretty soon invent one...though more probably a pantheon of gods, and humanity would be back to square one.
    It was a common theme on Star Trek. Is it a god or is it advanced technology?

4. Top | #144
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post

It was a common theme on Star Trek. Is it a god or is it advanced technology?
    On Scooby Doo, every supposedly supernatural phenomenon turns out to be some asshole trying to scare people for personal gain. Scooby Doo is perhaps one of the best shows ever for teaching kids that vital lesson.

5. Top | #145
    Archived
    Total Posts
    "What would count as proof of God?"

Publication of testable evidence in peer reviewed scientific journals published and reviewed by members of the National Academy of Science and the equivalent organizations in Europe and Asia.
    People who believe that the universe was created by an intelligent deity should pay closer attention to the evening news.

6. Top | #146
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My standards are more stringent. I need more than some dubious claims from a lab. I want to see a message blasted on the surface of the moon, in English, please (unless it can be magical and everyone can read it in his/her native tongue...but otherwise, in English), and visible with ordinary binocs from Target.
    Suggested wording (we can tweak this):

Hello. Yes, I'm real.
    Thanks for interrupting my weekend. You're welcome.
    Dawkins, Harris, Dennett, sorry about your publishing contracts, but you can all go to hell.
    Literally.
    OK, some stuff in the Bible is crunk-ass. I did not actually tell Ezekiel to lie on his side for 13 months and cook his barley cake over dookie.
    Do you peeps believe everything? I mean, Jesus.
    Also, it is not true that when deities orgasm they shout, "Me, Me, Me!!" I heard that on a Comedy Central roast.
    Yes, I said deities. There are a couple of us, and not just the Big Three. Like Quetzlcoatl. Where did you think tacos came from?
    More, later.
    Jeeeeeehovah, OUT.

7. Top | #147
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I want to see a message blasted on the surface of the moon, in English, please (unless it can be magical and everyone can read it in his/her native tongue...but otherwise, in English), and visible with ordinary binocs from Target.
    I would be far more inclined to believe that was from highly advanced alien (space-type) race with an excellent sense of humor than believe that any sort of "god" that transcends the laws of physic did it. The former is much more plausible.