Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 147 of 147

Thread: What would count as proof of God

  1. Top | #141
    Stephen T-B
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    63
    Archived
    5,878
    Total Posts
    5,941
    Rep Power
    71
    If a god were to demonstrate it exists in a way which made denying its existence impossible, it would have transferred itself from the metaphysical realm to the physical.

    And having become part of the natural order, it might be fascinating and intriguing in the way an octopus or slime mould is, but not an object of worship, in which case those humans who require an old-fashioned sort of deity would pretty soon invent one...though more probably a pantheon of gods, and humanity would be back to square one.

  2. Top | #142
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    31,282
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    73,755
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Steve isn't (to my understanding) talking about Q, but an episode where a woman claims to be a planet's god. Ultimately Picard is able to reenact her god-like abilities. The Q were god like.
    The Q were not god-LIKE. They were omnipotent, omniscient petty immortal assholes.
    Have you read the Tanakh?! You pretty much explained Yahweh.
    I never could understand how Picard could keep looking at Q and flat out telling him, "You're no god!" What the fuck was he (they?) lacking?
    Probably branding.

  3. Top | #143
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,828
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    If a god were to demonstrate it exists in a way which made denying its existence impossible, it would have transferred itself from the metaphysical realm to the physical.

    And having become part of the natural order, it might be fascinating and intriguing in the way an octopus or slime mould is, but not an object of worship, in which case those humans who require an old-fashioned sort of deity would pretty soon invent one...though more probably a pantheon of gods, and humanity would be back to square one.
    It was a common theme on Star Trek. Is it a god or is it advanced technology?

  4. Top | #144
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    24,343
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    34,820
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen T-B View Post
    If a god were to demonstrate it exists in a way which made denying its existence impossible, it would have transferred itself from the metaphysical realm to the physical.

    And having become part of the natural order, it might be fascinating and intriguing in the way an octopus or slime mould is, but not an object of worship, in which case those humans who require an old-fashioned sort of deity would pretty soon invent one...though more probably a pantheon of gods, and humanity would be back to square one.
    It was a common theme on Star Trek. Is it a god or is it advanced technology?
    On Scooby Doo, every supposedly supernatural phenomenon turns out to be some asshole trying to scare people for personal gain. Scooby Doo is perhaps one of the best shows ever for teaching kids that vital lesson.

  5. Top | #145
    Member Coleman Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    190
    Archived
    789
    Total Posts
    979
    Rep Power
    77
    "What would count as proof of God?"

    Publication of testable evidence in peer reviewed scientific journals published and reviewed by members of the National Academy of Science and the equivalent organizations in Europe and Asia.
    People who believe that the universe was created by an intelligent deity should pay closer attention to the evening news.

  6. Top | #146
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,281
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    4,872
    Rep Power
    71
    My standards are more stringent. I need more than some dubious claims from a lab. I want to see a message blasted on the surface of the moon, in English, please (unless it can be magical and everyone can read it in his/her native tongue...but otherwise, in English), and visible with ordinary binocs from Target.
    Suggested wording (we can tweak this):

    Hello. Yes, I'm real.
    Thanks for interrupting my weekend. You're welcome.
    Dawkins, Harris, Dennett, sorry about your publishing contracts, but you can all go to hell.
    Literally.
    OK, some stuff in the Bible is crunk-ass. I did not actually tell Ezekiel to lie on his side for 13 months and cook his barley cake over dookie.
    Do you peeps believe everything? I mean, Jesus.
    Also, it is not true that when deities orgasm they shout, "Me, Me, Me!!" I heard that on a Comedy Central roast.
    Yes, I said deities. There are a couple of us, and not just the Big Three. Like Quetzlcoatl. Where did you think tacos came from?
    More, later.
    Jeeeeeehovah, OUT.

  7. Top | #147
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Bible Belt, USA
    Posts
    1,059
    Archived
    2,467
    Total Posts
    3,526
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I want to see a message blasted on the surface of the moon, in English, please (unless it can be magical and everyone can read it in his/her native tongue...but otherwise, in English), and visible with ordinary binocs from Target.
    I would be far more inclined to believe that was from highly advanced alien (space-type) race with an excellent sense of humor than believe that any sort of "god" that transcends the laws of physic did it. The former is much more plausible.

Similar Threads

  1. Count Dankula: Guilty!
    By repoman in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM
  2. Animals Can Count
    By Cheerful Charlie in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2018, 07:32 PM
  3. I've lost count - how many ISIS attacks in the last two weeks?
    By RavenSky in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2016, 07:09 AM
  4. Super Saturday Delegate Count
    By Don2 (Don1 Revised) in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •