Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What would count as proof of God

1. Top | #91
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Hmm natural selection not as effective as it seems.

(I'd love to spend a lot more time to discuss with posters. I will have take a Christmas break soon! )

2. Top | #92
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

(I'd love to spend a lot more time to discuss with posters. I will have take a Christmas break soon! )
    ?

Evolution doesn't yield perfection. It only yields good enough for a species to survive sufficiently long enough to procreate. Religion tells us that perfection is god's bailiwick. Only one seems to fit observations.

3. Top | #93
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In comparison to what...?

4. Top | #94
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    In comparison to what...?
    Creation magic. Everything was created perfect. It's broken now because of snakes, apples, disobedience, etc. Creation magic doesn't have anything to do with unhappy things.

5. Top | #95
    Archived
    Total Posts
    To fix potential evil, now that Adam and Eve was shown things (you know the story) God will have to take away those nerve endings which God gave to you as a gift - you know, experiencing the physical world, feel the sun on ones face, breathing in the air and marvel at Gods Glory. Unfortunately Satan knows our anatomy very well.
    Did/does god have nerve endings? Can this god of yours experience what it's like to be deprived of food or water to the point of starvation? Can this god of yours be suffocated if one puts a bag over its head? Can someone cut off its hand, pull out its fingernails or sexually abuse it?

One of the problems I see with religious apology such as this is it doesn't tend to think the whole thing through to its conclusion. "All Things Bright and Beautiful." But Monty Python addressed that with "All Things Dull and Ugly."

From what I understand of the Yahweh-derived religions there was an eternity before Yahweh intentionally chose to fabricate creatures capable of starving, feeling pain or having limbs amputated. Did that somehow make the world a better place? Nothing about that makes sense to me, but of course ... woo... here come those mysterious ways.

6. Top | #96
    Contributor
    A properly notarized birth certificate. Plus references and a work history.

7. Top | #97
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheos View Post
    From what I understand of the Yahweh-derived religions there was an eternity before Yahweh intentionally chose to fabricate creatures capable of starving, feeling pain or having limbs amputated. Did that somehow make the world a better place? Nothing about that makes sense to me, but of course ... woo... here come those mysterious ways.
    That makes sense. Abrahamic religions are nothing without sin. One might say that they are built on a foundation which is sin, and such a god would make sense.

8. Top | #98
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Any god who is not omniscient is not omnipotent. Omniscience is a subset of omnipotence. Strike two....
    Not sure about that myself ... I see it as:

IF God is the one and only CREATOR and HE is ultimately more powerful than all HIS creations then GOD...IS the Gold-Bar-Standard for Omnipotent. If God knows more than HIS most intelligent creations about everything in the universe then God IS the Gold-Bar-Standard for Ominscience verses the mere words that wise-professing men as mere mortals create, to define how God should be.
    There you are. God is omnipotent but not omniscient. His left hand does not know what his right hand is doing. That is why he does not do anything about injustice in the world. He simply does not know what is happening in the world. But that is what God we have. Satisfied with that?
    There again. Because God did not know what his creations will be like. Just went on creating things that he later regretted. He is not omniscient.
    @T.G.G.Moogly, that makes your concept incorrect.

9. Top | #99
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    “But you . . . you’re omnicognisant,” said Brutha.

“That doesn’t mean I know everything.”

Brutha bit his lip. “Um. Yes. It does.”
    - Conversation between the Great God Om, and his believer, Brother Brutha. Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett.

10. Top | #100
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    There you are. God is omnipotent but not omniscient. His left hand does not know what his right hand is doing. That is why he does not do anything about injustice in the world. He simply does not know what is happening in the world. But that is what God we have. Satisfied with that?
    Not quite the God of the bible as I see it obviously to your view. The future IS already set out in Revelation therefore God is omniscient. Likewise, with the regrets (after death came into the world), God knows and sees both or vatious (potential) destiny outcomes. Man by his own accord, by his own will, has to choose his own fate from one of them - the requirement to continue on, in the after-life.

You (plural) are proof that humans (can do it) understand and feel compasionately about injustice in the world. All individuals should be doing like-wise by their own will.

And...as its written... this is now Satan's world.

Curiously: Lets say there is such a thing of a new world and new heaven. Would you or anyone here want to live there ... with God?
    Last edited by Learner; 12-11-2019 at 12:33 AM.