Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What would count as proof of God

1. Top | #11
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharakov View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    So it's been asked here and within philosophy generally, what would qualify as convincing evidence of God to a skeptic not ideologically inclined to believe?
    Physical constants of the universe have a definitive mathematical message built into them. It would have to be built into the structure of the universe in such a way that any observer would get the same value.

Something like the FST, which is the same no matter what units we use for G, kg, mass, energy, time, etc. would have to have a message encoded into it, that anyone could see indicated intelligence.
    Interesting assumption but you didn't explain why "there would have to have a message encoded into it".
    So... that's about it. If the FST, or related constants, have no meaning hidden in them? Well... then... I don't know.
    That is a quite old argument for a god... "I don't know, therefore god". However it evokes an extremely limited and ever-shrinking kind of god.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 05-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    So it's been asked here and within philosophy generally, what would qualify as convincing evidence of God to a skeptic not ideologically inclined to believe?
    Physical constants of the universe have a definitive mathematical message built into them. It would have to be built into the structure of the universe in such a way that any observer would get the same value.

Something like the FST, which is the same no matter what units we use for G, kg, mass, energy, time, etc. would have to have a message encoded into it, that anyone could see indicated intelligence.
    Interesting assumption but you didn't explain why "there would have to have a message encoded into it".
    There doesn't have to be- if the universe arises naturally, why would there be a message encoded in the FSC or something like quark mass ratios? They would be simple consequences of natural law- they couldn't be anything other than what they are.

However, if there is an intelligent creator, that knows that it can't micromanage every event, but can refine natural interactions to the point that it can put a message in some of these ratios that will be the same to all observers, it can reveal itself to intelligent life by setting up messages in these ratios. Maybe even encode certain ways of behaving into those ratios that allow intelligent life to perfect itself, and its interaction with God.

If physicists and mathematicians find certain messages in these unalterable ratios? Messages which show how things should be? I'd think they'd believe. They'd act. And they'd make life right. At least for them. I'd still be screwed. Fucked over. On the bottom. Suffering, but every once in a while feeling good. Escaping from the hell of my life with some drugs that let me escape life... and enjoy my brain.

No message? We're alone. We still have to do what we can. We're still screwed. I can still hope, despite knowledge of the corrupt, that I can get a gun and a bullet to get out of this life of service to the corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    So... that's about it. If the FST, or related constants, have no meaning hidden in them? Well... then... I don't know.
    That is a quite old argument for a god... "I don't know, therefore god". However it evokes an extremely limited and ever-shrinking kind of god.
    It wasn't an argument for God. It was me saying I don't know how else a God would prove itself to skeptics who believe in scientific results.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I do not know evidence would be sufficient to warrant belief in an omnipotent and omniscient being. No hypothetical scenario that we could hypothesize seems to justify such an idea.

Regardless, if such an all-knowing and all-powerful did exist, it would know what it would take to convince me, and it has so far withheld itself from undergoing that task of convincing me. So what is stopping god? It cannot be because it would violate free will. Plenty of religious believers have been convinced of god through (what they perceive to be) direct communication with god. God apparently communicates regularly with people without violating their free will. Why wouldn't god do the same with everyone?

4. Top | #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    I do not know evidence would be sufficient to warrant belief in an omnipotent and omniscient being.
    Ah, the frank admission. I like it.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    I do not know evidence would be sufficient to warrant belief in an omnipotent and omniscient being.
    It happens more often with skeptics than with believers.

Let me propose a scenario:

Q (from Star Trek) shows up and claims to be the god that all our myths are based on. He (it) obviously has most of the powers attributed to most gods. What is the functional difference?

Let's say he wants to be worshipped, would the believers fall in line? What about the skeptics?

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If God is omniscient and omnipotent, he can prove his divinity to me in a way I find convincing, and knows how to do it.

Since I am not god, I don't have to say what method he should use, because I don't know it.

But the fact I can't think of anything is no barrier to God's omnipotence. Any being who can't convince me is, by definition, not omnipotent, and therefore not god.

It would be quite easy for a being to convince me that it has god-like powers, simply by doing things.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If, in the middle of a Trump rally, a giant hand (which would be translucent but fully articulated) would suddenly appear as our President was calling someone "low IQ" or "son of a bitch" or "little shit" or some other Presidential phrase, and close around Trump's bulky midsection, pick him up, swing him back and forth over the audience, then flip him upside down, hold him by the ankles, and shake him until his orange weave and clothes fluttered off, then gently lower him to the stage clad in socks and shoes (causing the Secret Service extra commotion because none of the agents could offer him a piece of clothing that would fit, forcing them to grab an overweight female Trumpie and confiscate her house dress)......THEN I'd probably believe. (BTW, Trump would start screaming about 'Cheatin' God' being on a witch hunt.)
    All that, or a message in ten or twelve languages to be engraved on the surface of the moon. God has the moon as a perfect screen for any message. Let him use the moon. But I'd still like him to shake the bejesus out of Trump, because at least that would bolster the Christian message about ultimate justice in the cosmos. Trump wouldn't care much, because he wouldn't lose more than a half percent of his base.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
    Since I am not god, I don't have to say what method he should use, because I don't know it.
    Well, it also depends on which god, right? some gods offer immortality, some are more concerned with a 'balance of nature' and wouldn't bend it so far as immortality.
    A volcano god might offer to prove his divinity by destroying something, while a creator god might whip out an entirely new form of life. A sapient plant or a talking virus...

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My God, yes. Think of what bounty the Cinnabon God could provide. I suggest (humbly)... the 6-pack of Cinnabon Classic for $2 (money to go to the Cinnabon priesthood or charities.)

10. Top | #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    It happens more often with skeptics than with believers.

Let me propose a scenario:

Q (from Star Trek) shows up and claims to be the god that all our myths are based on. He (it) obviously has most of the powers attributed to most gods. What is the functional difference?

Let's say he wants to be worshipped, would the believers fall in line? What about the skeptics?
    I imagine most would. Humans are practical-minded and survival-oriented, and Q would simply erase the exceptions. While the TV Q was a fan of the sciences, I suspect a real one wouldn't give hald a crap about Picard's lofty speeches, and would see religious and skeptical objections to his rule in a similar light. When empires invade with clear superiority of numbers and biotoxins, do they care whether indigenous resistance is fueled by spiritual or rational arguments?