Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103

Thread: Is Human Nature Determined by Our Material Conditions?

  1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,711
    Archived
    4,797
    Total Posts
    8,508
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    If X is our human nature, then it would be only there because of the environment that gave birth to us. Seems like we are islands that oceans make, change or destroy.
    Which effectively eliminates the idea of free will?
    Wally: Is human motivation the result of genetics or environment?

    Pointy-Haired Boss. Both. Duh. But I called you in here so we could discuss your poor job performance.

    Wally: We just did. You said it wasn't my fault.

  2. Top | #22
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,018
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,924
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    If X is our human nature, then it would be only there because of the environment that gave birth to us. Seems like we are islands that oceans make, change or destroy.
    Which effectively eliminates the idea of free will?
    Wally: Is human motivation the result of genetics or environment?

    Pointy-Haired Boss. Both. Duh. But I called you in here so we could discuss your poor job performance.

    Wally: We just did. You said it wasn't my fault.
    The ability to make decisions, skills, abilities, adaption, drive, will, are not necessarily examples of 'free will'

    Wallly's problems are more complex than his flippant manner suggests.

  3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a McDonalds in the q space
    Posts
    4,668
    Archived
    3,986
    Total Posts
    8,654
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    If X is our human nature, then it would be only there because of the environment that gave birth to us. Seems like we are islands that oceans make, change or destroy.
    Which effectively eliminates the idea of free will?
    The ocean/universe would create free will and affect it and even end it.

    And any outcome from free will could also defy any set of human natures.

  4. Top | #24
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,018
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,924
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    If X is our human nature, then it would be only there because of the environment that gave birth to us. Seems like we are islands that oceans make, change or destroy.
    Which effectively eliminates the idea of free will?
    The ocean/universe would create free will and affect it and even end it.

    And any outcome from free will could also defy any set of human natures.
    How is that possible? It needs to be described with a given definition of free will.

  5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a McDonalds in the q space
    Posts
    4,668
    Archived
    3,986
    Total Posts
    8,654
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    The ocean/universe would create free will and affect it and even end it.

    And any outcome from free will could also defy any set of human natures.
    How is that possible? It needs to be described with a given definition of free will.
    What are you asking for, a definition for free will?

  6. Top | #26
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,018
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,924
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    The ocean/universe would create free will and affect it and even end it.

    And any outcome from free will could also defy any set of human natures.
    How is that possible? It needs to be described with a given definition of free will.
    What are you asking for, a definition for free will?
    Both. Two parts. A description of how the "ocean/universe creates free will" with a given definition of free will.

  7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a McDonalds in the q space
    Posts
    4,668
    Archived
    3,986
    Total Posts
    8,654
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post

    What are you asking for, a definition for free will?
    Both. Two parts. A description of how the "ocean/universe creates free will" with a given definition of free will.
    I don't know how free will is created although there are theories that we talked about before. And the definition is what it always is in our conversations: the ability to have done otherwise with everything else staying the same.

  8. Top | #28
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    11,381
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    29,594
    Rep Power
    54
    The problem there is one didn't do otherwise just hypothesized one could do so. Methinks free will is doing otherwise. That leaves it up to the reader to discover what wasn't otherwise.

  9. Top | #29
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,018
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,924
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post

    What are you asking for, a definition for free will?
    Both. Two parts. A description of how the "ocean/universe creates free will" with a given definition of free will.
    I don't know how free will is created although there are theories that we talked about before. And the definition is what it always is in our conversations: the ability to have done otherwise with everything else staying the same.
    Yet it is common to regret a decision we made only a moment after having made it, a decision that may have serious consequences.

    So if we could have done otherwise in the moment of decision making, why did we not take that option and avoided unwanted problems that could have been avoided had we exercised this form of 'free will?'

  10. Top | #30
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    9,018
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,924
    Rep Power
    71
    In other words, how can the universe with its progression of events allow some of its parts to have done otherwise in any given instance in time?

Similar Threads

  1. Everything after time T is determined
    By rousseau in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 06-17-2019, 07:21 PM
  2. Human nature
    By untermensche in forum Other Philosophical Discussions
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-22-2019, 12:19 AM
  3. Human Nature and Having Children
    By rousseau in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-09-2017, 10:11 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-17-2017, 06:34 AM
  5. Is the mind material or non-material?
    By DBT in forum Other Philosophical Discussions
    Replies: 304
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •