Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 103

Thread: Is Human Nature Determined by Our Material Conditions?

  1. Top | #31
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a McDonalds in the q space
    Posts
    4,668
    Archived
    3,986
    Total Posts
    8,654
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    The problem there is one didn't do otherwise just hypothesized one could do so. Methinks free will is doing otherwise. That leaves it up to the reader to discover what wasn't otherwise.
    I don't understand what you are saying here.

  2. Top | #32
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a McDonalds in the q space
    Posts
    4,668
    Archived
    3,986
    Total Posts
    8,654
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    In other words, how can the universe with its progression of events allow some of its parts to have done otherwise in any given instance in time?
    That's QM. Nobody knows why the universe has QM rather than no QM.

  3. Top | #33
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    8,908
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,814
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    In other words, how can the universe with its progression of events allow some of its parts to have done otherwise in any given instance in time?
    That's QM. Nobody knows why the universe has QM rather than no QM.
    How does QM help you in relation to the decision making process?

  4. Top | #34
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,795
    Archived
    4,109
    Total Posts
    5,904
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    In other words, how can the universe with its progression of events allow some of its parts to have done otherwise in any given instance in time?
    That's QM. Nobody knows why the universe has QM rather than no QM.
    How does QM help you in relation to the decision making process?
    QM, or more appropriate, QED governs the electrical impulses in your brain, and the ways photons react to the nerves in your eyes. The wave function collapses one way and you pick the chicken, it collapses another, and you pick steak. Maybe.

  5. Top | #35
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oregon's westernmost
    Posts
    11,183
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    29,396
    Rep Power
    54
    maybe not ...

  6. Top | #36
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    8,908
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,814
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    How does QM help you in relation to the decision making process?
    QM, or more appropriate, QED governs the electrical impulses in your brain, and the ways photons react to the nerves in your eyes. The wave function collapses one way and you pick the chicken, it collapses another, and you pick steak. Maybe.
    Random probability and an absence of will when one option is taken over another being an example of freedom of will?

  7. Top | #37
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a McDonalds in the q space
    Posts
    4,668
    Archived
    3,986
    Total Posts
    8,654
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    In other words, how can the universe with its progression of events allow some of its parts to have done otherwise in any given instance in time?
    That's QM. Nobody knows why the universe has QM rather than no QM.
    How does QM help you in relation to the decision making process?
    Do remember the Posner molecules from Fisher's paper? If true they would make our brains quantum processors.

  8. Top | #38
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    8,908
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,814
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    How does QM help you in relation to the decision making process?
    Do remember the Posner molecules from Fisher's paper? If true they would make our brains quantum processors.

    Even if that was true, how does it help the case for free will? Does a quantum information processor necessarily have free will?

  9. Top | #39
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    21,624
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    32,101
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

    How does QM help you in relation to the decision making process?
    Do remember the Posner molecules from Fisher's paper? If true they would make our brains quantum processors.

    Even if that was true, how does it help the case for free will? Does a quantum information processor necessarily have free will?
    You are wasting your time. Ryan will always argue for the existence of free will. He couldn't do otherwise.

  10. Top | #40
    Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    8,908
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    26,814
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post


    Even if that was true, how does it help the case for free will? Does a quantum information processor necessarily have free will?
    You are wasting your time. Ryan will always argue for the existence of free will. He couldn't do otherwise.
    True, but he (or someone else) may have been working on a new argument or angle during the break between free will debates that could be interesting, you never know.

Similar Threads

  1. Everything after time T is determined
    By rousseau in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 06-17-2019, 07:21 PM
  2. Human nature
    By untermensche in forum Other Philosophical Discussions
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-22-2019, 12:19 AM
  3. Human Nature and Having Children
    By rousseau in forum Natural Science
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-09-2017, 10:11 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-17-2017, 06:34 AM
  5. Is the mind material or non-material?
    By DBT in forum Other Philosophical Discussions
    Replies: 304
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •