Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Republicans 2020

1. Top | #21
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Threads merged. Thanks, JP, for the heads up.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    With Amash dropping out of the Republican party and considering a run for the Libertarian nomination, it is possible that the biggest challenge to Trump from the right will come from outside the Republicans. In that event, winning the primary won't be the end of it for Trump.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
    With Amash dropping out of the Republican party and considering a run for the Libertarian nomination, it is possible that the biggest challenge to Trump from the right will come from outside the Republicans. In that event, winning the primary won't be the end of it for Trump.
    'Fraid he'd bleed just as much from the Dems as from the 'Pugs.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Really? He's one of the rightest righties there is. I have respect for his integrity, but no sympathy for his policies.

5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member Cheerful Charlie's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    'Fraid he'd bleed just as much from the Dems as from the 'Pugs.
    Maybe not. Recent polls have registered men voters who definitely will vote for trump or lean voting for Trump is 51% to 49%. Registered women voters who definitely will NOT vote for Trump or lean not voting for Trump is 60%. Libertarians seem to be more attractive to men than women voters.

2018 was notable in that Generation X, Millennials and Generation Z voters for the first time out numbered Baby Boomers and old generation voters. Younger generation women voters strongly dislike the GOP. And 2020 will see women voters activated over the abortion issue, birth control, Planned Parenthood defunding et al. Plus issues like global warming. I see little room here for Libertarians to win over younger women voters.

2020 will be an election angry younger women voters will probably decide, Libertarians will not matter much at all.
    Cheerful Charlie

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Except to suck the vote of the elusive principled conservatives.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Except to suck the vote of the elusive principled conservatives.
    Yeah, that. Especially if the Dems nominate someone who is easily propagandized as a "radical leftist extremist". A lot of people who don't pay much attention will be wholly confused and will vote "safe" just in case the stories are true...

8. Top | #28
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Donald Trump’s Excessive Swearing May Push Away His White Evangelical Voters | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos
    noting ‘Using the Lord’s name in vain’: Evangelicals chafe at Trump’s blasphemy - POLITICO Like
    ... Trump crowing, “They'll be hit so goddamn hard,” while bragging about bombing Islamic State militants. And Trump recounting his warning to a wealthy businessman: “If you don't support me, you're going to be so goddamn poor.”

One of the pastors said he was “appalled” by the president’s remarks at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in March, in which Trump accused his political rivals of trying to run him out of office with “bullshit” investigations and oversight actions.

“You know, I’m totally off script right now,” Trump said at the time. The rest of his speech was littered with cursing, as he promised to “keep radical Islamic terrorists the hell out of our country” and throw undocumented immigrants “the hell out.”
    More from that article:
    For evangelicals, however, Trump’s indelicate language has frustrated religious fans who have otherwise been true blue supporters of his agenda. They agree with his social policies, praise his appointment of conservative judges and extol his commitment to Israel — often tolerating Trump’s character flaws for the continued advancement of all three. But when it comes to “using the Lord’s name in vain,” as Hardesty put it, “the president’s evangelical base might be far less forgiving.”

“Carelessly invoking the Lord’s name in a fit of anger is one thing,” said one of the pro-Trump pastors [who asked to remain anonymous], quickly adding that he would not encourage such behavior. “But,” he continued, “repeatedly doing it for shock value … that does raise questions about the president’s respect for people of faith.”
    This reminds me of what Rev. Billy Graham objected to when Richard Nixon's White House tapes were revealed. It wasn't the discussion in them of Watergate shenanigans that bothered him. It was the profanity in them - Richard Nixon was very potty-mouthed in them.

9. Top | #29
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Trump rages over poll numbers and coverage of his racism after approval ratings plummet | The Independent
    Donald Trump has vented his anger over media coverage of his repeated racism after a series of polls showed his approval ratings had fallen and that he was on track to lose the 2020 election.

The president lashed out in a series of Sunday-morning tweets, renewing his attack on The New York Times in an apparent continuation of his longstanding campaign to discredit news organisations which cover stories he does not approve of.
    He is a very sore loser.

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "The New York Times will be out of business soon after I leave office, hopefully in 6 years. They have Zero credibility and are losing a fortune, even now, especially after their massive unfunded liability. I’m fairly certain they’ll endorse me just to keep it all going!" / Twitter

Such remarkable anger.

Ex-Rep. Joe Walsh apologizes for supporting "unfit" Trump, calls for GOP challenger | Salon.com
    He criticized Trump for his deficits, his trade wars, his bigoted demagoguery, his embrace of foreign strongmen like Vladimir Putin, and his attacks on intelligence agencies.
    “We need someone who could stand up,” he wrote, “look the president in the eye and say: ‘Enough, sir. We’ve had enough of your indecency. We’ve had enough of your lies, your bullying, your cruelty, enough of your insults, your daily drama, your incitement, enough of the danger you place this country in every single day. We don’t want any of this anymore, and the country certainly can’t stand four more years of it.’”

"One of the reasons I wrote this op-ed was to apologize — to apologize for the role that I played in putting an unfit con man in the White House," Walsh told CNN. "The country was divided before Trump. That's why we got Trump. I was at the head of that divide, talking about and pushing ideas I believed in.”
    How many other Republicans agree with him at least partially? If they are, then they are not talking very much.

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Anthony Scaramucci no longer backs Trump's reelection, says change may be needed at top of ticket - CNNPolitics (Aug 12)
    The former aide said that although he believes Trump's policies are "very, very good for the American people," the President's "rhetoric is so charged and so divisive that we have to all just take a step back now and say, 'what are we doing, actually?'"

"He goes after individuals as the President of the United States on his Twitter account, OK, which incites hate, which incites death threats," he said, adding later, "The racially charged comments, the divisive tweeting, the nonsense coming from the President is not helping the country."
    Anthony Scaramucci says he's putting together coalition to stop Trump in 2020 - CNNPolitics (Aug 19)
    Anthony Scaramucci, a former White House communications director who has recently withdrawn his support for President Donald Trump, said Monday that he is putting together a coalition of former Trump Cabinet officials to denounce the President ahead of the 2020 election.

"I'm in the process of putting together a team of people that feel the exact same way that I do. This is not a 'Never Trump' situation. This not just screeching rhetoric. This is -- OK, the guy is unstable. Everyone inside knows it, everyone outside knows it. Let's see if we can find a viable alternative," Scaramucci told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on "New Day."

"Moreover, I have to get some former Cabinet officials in unity to speak up about it. They know it's a crisis," he added. Scaramucci did not provide any names of people associated with the coalition he said he is assembling, but predicted that by "middle to late fall" there will be a "trove" of people willing to speak out against Trump.
    But is either Walsh or Scaramucci considering any alternative candidates?