Thread: Computer won't go to sleep

1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Computer won't go to sleep

Okay, the new refurb computer I just bought won't go to sleep. I've triple checked the settings, followed direction others have posted to try to solve the problem. So I'm giving you blokes a chance to fix it.

HP 6000 Pro computer
    Windows 10 pro
    4 gigs ram
    I T HDD (It's a Huawei, loudest hard drive I've ever experienced.)

The screen goes dark in the allotted time but that hard drive continues to churn away, making noise all the way across the room.

I've checked for programs running in the background, none. Checked that all the drivers are up to date, they are. Told the network card not to wake the computer.

Set to both shut off the screen and go to sleep after 5 minutes. Hard drive to shut down at 7 minutes.

Any ideas?
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

You submit to tyranny when you renounce truth. - Timothy Snyder

2. Top | #2
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You could try turning it off, then turning it back on again (when you want to use it)

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Some potential problems:

- Are two settings conflicting? If you've set the screen to shut off at the same time as it goes to sleep, is the screen shut off interfering with the sleep?

- Do you still have some settings wrong? If not, maybe do some Google searching for the problem

- Beyond that it could be a Windows problem and you need to either install or wait for some updates

KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid

Typically you can assume that Microsoft is bullet-proof with stuff like this, so either you're doing something wrong, of if they're doing something wrong they're going to fix it soon (or in a while if the problem is minor)

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Some potential problems:

- Are two settings conflicting? If you've set the screen to shut off at the same time as it goes to sleep, is the screen shut off interfering with the sleep?

- Do you still have some settings wrong? If not, maybe do some Google searching for the problem

- Beyond that it could be a Windows problem and you need to either install or wait for some updates

Typically you can assume that Microsoft is bullet-proof with stuff like this, so either you're doing something wrong, of if they're doing something wrong they're going to fix it soon (or in a while if the problem is minor)
    Already googled the problem. Seems to be a quite common problem with 10. The things I've already done were suggestions from people who had the same problem. I'll keep plugging away at it and use Bilby's suggestion above as I have been.
    ITMFA

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Some potential problems:

Already googled the problem. Seems to be a quite common problem with 10. The things I've already done were suggestions from people who had the same problem. I'll keep plugging away at it and use Bilby's suggestion above as I have been.
    Can't you also put it to sleep manually with the power button? That's usually what I'll do with my laptop.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Some potential problems:

Can't you also put it to sleep manually with the power button? That's usually what I'll do with my laptop.
    Nope, that didn't work either. Just woke up again a few moments later.

But, it seems success has arrived. I spent several hours today updating the OS, rebooting, rinse, repeat, and now it's happily sleeping peacefully.
    ITMFA

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As a matter of curiosity, when you had this problem did you turn off the mains power to the computer and take the battery out ?

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Your computer is not correctly reporting its "idle" state, I imagine. You mentioned that you hear the hard drive churning from across the room... something is causing a good deal of activity that is running under your user context, so the machine thinks you are busy using it. There is a process you missed that is running incessantly as you. probably your anti-virus, if I had to guess. Check processes that are not running as local system, but as you... and then google how to make those run as system processes instead of user processes.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    I thought the HD will spin down after a timeout anyway.

If you can hear the HD these days from across the room sounds odd. I can barely hear an external USB HD.

If the HD is noisy make sure you are backed up.

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    You can try a little troubleshooting.

Reboot the computer and after everything comes up you can start the task manager and look at disk usage. You can also look at net usage, memory usage, and apps that are loaded.

You can start disabling boot time start up programs and see if it affects disk activity. As a matter of course I never start apps at boot time.

Are you hearing the HD or maybe the processor fan? What is temp and fan status?

Odd things can happen when you start a lot of stuff at boot time.