Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Children: Being Outdoors vs. Nearsightedness?

  1. Top | #31
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,297
    Rep Power
    10
    I am thinking of the movie Forbidden Planet. An ET civilization developed the technology for each individual to physically and quickie manifest desires into reality. It also unleashed all the liking hatred and conflict which ended up destroying the civilization.

    Perhaps prophetic.

  2. Top | #32
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    20,442
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    30,919
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I am thinking of the movie Forbidden Planet. An ET civilization developed the technology for each individual to physically and quickie manifest desires into reality. It also unleashed all the liking hatred and conflict which ended up destroying the civilization.

    Perhaps prophetic.
    Or perhaps just a movie.

    Leslie Nielsen was good in it though. Even if he was upstaged by a robot.

  3. Top | #33
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    7,355
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    11,010
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Interesting that spending time outside would help prevent near-sighted issues.
    You misspelled soccer or hockey or basketball.
    Not to mention riding bikes, hiking, fishing, roller blading, swimming, digging in the sand box, looking for insects, birding, looking for other wildlife, walking your dog, looking at clouds, gardening, leaning against a tree and reading a book, having a picnic, playing in the sprinkler, drawing on the sidewalk with chalk, playing hopscotch or jumping rope and so on....

  4. Top | #34
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,297
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Interesting that spending time outside would help prevent near-sighted issues.
    You misspelled soccer or hockey or basketball.
    Not to mention riding bikes, hiking, fishing, roller blading, swimming, digging in the sand box, looking for insects, birding, looking for other wildlife, walking your dog, looking at clouds, gardening, leaning against a tree and reading a book, having a picnic, playing in the sprinkler, drawing on the sidewalk with chalk, playing hopscotch or jumping rope and so on....
    A man after my own heart. There is also a correlation between strength of immune system and kids rummaging around in the dirt and being around animals.

  5. Top | #35
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    7,355
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    11,010
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Interesting that spending time outside would help prevent near-sighted issues.
    You misspelled soccer or hockey or basketball.
    Not to mention riding bikes, hiking, fishing, roller blading, swimming, digging in the sand box, looking for insects, birding, looking for other wildlife, walking your dog, looking at clouds, gardening, leaning against a tree and reading a book, having a picnic, playing in the sprinkler, drawing on the sidewalk with chalk, playing hopscotch or jumping rope and so on....
    A man after my own heart. There is also a correlation between strength of immune system and kids rummaging around in the dirt and being around animals.
    Um, I’m a woman.

  6. Top | #36
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,297
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    A man after my own heart. There is also a correlation between strength of immune system and kids rummaging around in the dirt and being around animals.
    Um, I’m a woman.
    A colloquialism. In context of the times, perhaps a person after my own heart....

  7. Top | #37
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    7,355
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    11,010
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    A man after my own heart. There is also a correlation between strength of immune system and kids rummaging around in the dirt and being around animals.
    Um, I’m a woman.
    A colloquialism. In context of the times, perhaps a person after my own heart....
    No problem, but wanted to clear up any misconceptions. Sometimes, someone does take me for a dude.

  8. Top | #38
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,297
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    A colloquialism. In context of the times, perhaps a person after my own heart....
    No problem, but wanted to clear up any misconceptions. Sometimes, someone does take me for a dude.
    Got it, dudette not dude.

  9. Top | #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    882
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

    A man after my own heart. There is also a correlation between strength of immune system and kids rummaging around in the dirt and being around animals.
    Um, I’m a woman.
    well duh.. you listed hopscotch.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM
  2. Bathroom Politics - Think Of The Children!!
    By Jolly_Penguin in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2016, 04:26 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 03:51 PM
  4. Should refugees be women and children only?
    By mojorising in forum Political Discussions
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 02-01-2016, 05:25 AM
  5. Discipline for children
    By gmbteach in forum Social Science
    Replies: 591
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •