Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy, Healthy Breakfast

1. Top | #1
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

Easy, Healthy Breakfast

Microwave some spinach to wilt. Add diced tomato and one egg. Stir. Microwave until egg is cooked. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with cheese, capers. Enjoy.

2. Top | #2
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    With such a simple breakfast I'd throw all that in a small pan on the stove. Just as easy, but better results with the egg.

These days I usually stick to a healthy cereal with milk, a small bowl of fruit (sometimes topped with natural yogurt), and coffee. It's become so routine now that it's usually over before I realize it's happening.

3. Top | #3
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    By "healthy cereal" you must mean some type whole grain. Same here. For whole rolled oats you can't beat the stovetop. I find that 4 cups water and 1.5 cups oats is the best combo, and not what the directions recommend, which recommends less water. It makes a lot but keeps in the fridge so is an easy healthy grab. I tend to drizzle olive oil on everything. Some frozen fruit from the yard is a great topping.

I try to use the microwave more these days because it is much faster and causes less mess. It is absolutely perfect for steaming veggies or wilting spinach. If I could buy one that doesn't beep at the end that would be better. Why do microwaves have to beep.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    For me-

Unsweetened bran cereal for fiber and bowl movements.
    Eggs. Precooked boiled or fried. Easy to cook eggs on a non stick pan.
    Reheated rice and beans or a small microwaved potato, about 4 minutes.
    For carbs a slice of thick chewy multi grain bread.

Scrambled eggs with onions and peppers and beans. Add hot sauce.

Scrabbled eggs with squash, zucchinis, peppers, onion, ham.

I like Canadian Black Forest ham. Minimally processed. Add some ham. Take an English muffin and make your own egg, cheese, ham sandwich. It is also an easy lunch to take to work.

There are TV ads for things to cook eggs in a microwave.

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    By "healthy cereal" you must mean some type whole grain. Same here. For whole rolled oats you can't beat the stovetop. I find that 4 cups water and 1.5 cups oats is the best combo, and not what the directions recommend, which recommends less water. It makes a lot but keeps in the fridge so is an easy healthy grab. I tend to drizzle olive oil on everything. Some frozen fruit from the yard is a great topping.

I try to use the microwave more these days because it is much faster and causes less mess. It is absolutely perfect for steaming veggies or wilting spinach. If I could buy one that doesn't beep at the end that would be better. Why do microwaves have to beep.
    I grew up microwaving eggs, but these days prefer a pan. One with a small diameter is pretty painless - crack two eggs in a bowl, whisk, pour in pan, heat until done. Provides a much better texture than the microwave. We usually do that for breakfast sandwiches, but might be worthwhile throwing some veg in there for simple omelettes.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When I was a kid, I used to have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. You'd boil the water, stir in the oats, and there it was.

Recently I figured "I used to be thin back then...maybe I should go back to that?"

So I bought this brand of instant oatmeal that was "healthy" and prepared it the old fashioned way. It never quite came out right. So on a whim, I followed the microwave directions instead.

It turned out perfect. 90 seconds of nuking, stir a bit, and done.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Grains are tasty, bread, biscuits, cakes, cereals, but the problem with grain is that it spikes blood sugar even in healthy people. Which is not a good thing to have happening on a regular basis, especially if one's lifestyle is largely sedatary. Plus grains can be inflammatory for a certain percentage of the population.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    I think it depends on the cereal. Rice Crispies are awful. A lot of surface area leads to fast digestion.

I like raisin bran. It does not spike my glucose any more than anything else. They are coarse and chewy. I check it if I don't feel right not daily. My A!C is well below the limit.

I usually do not eat after dinner and go to bed a little hungry. I wake up hungry and my blood sugar is us ally on the low end. From testing I know my before and after meal glucose levels are well within norms for what I usually eat.

Good old Quaker Oars in the round box. It was a staple as a kid. I believe they are whole rolled oats. Somebody told me rolled oats was originaly made for farm animal feed.

A good light breakfast is plain yogurt with banana and tea or coffee.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's true that not all grains spike blood sugar in the same way or rate, but it is easy to test the effect of any given grain by using a blood sugar meter one hour after eating. Do each cereal individually without the addition of fats or proteins, which helps to slow absorption.

10. Top | #10
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    I grew up microwaving eggs, but these days prefer a pan. One with a small diameter is pretty painless - crack two eggs in a bowl, whisk, pour in pan, heat until done. Provides a much better texture than the microwave. We usually do that for breakfast sandwiches, but might be worthwhile throwing some veg in there for simple omelettes.
    Spinach and cheese omelettes are super good and super easy, a skillet is the only way. We have a small Scanpan that is perfect. After the flip I drizzle a small bit of water into the skillet and add the lid to melt the cheese on top.