Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy, Healthy Breakfast

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    If you can't cook eggs in a non stick pan you are in deep trouble...

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    If you are worried about blood sugar spikes take a look at the OJ or other drinks you have for breakfast...just sayin.

OJ, pineapple juice, cranberry juice, apple juice.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My easy, imo healthy, cheap breakfast is a mix of dry cereal topped with blueberries. You can laugh and say my breakfast isn't healthy but I've been eating dry, brand name cereal since I was two, and I'm still healthy at 69. I'll be 70 next month if the cereal doesn't kill me. I exercise and my weight is good, so I'm not going to lose sleep over my carb intake. I'm not even afraid of sugar in moderation. That's how brave I am.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I suppose that some folks are more genetically tolerant to sugar than others.

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Depends on the cereal. As long as it's not lucky charms or sugar coated it's probably fine.

I eat bran flakes and top it with raisins and fruit regularly. Almost got out of the habit when my wife bought a few boxes of sweetened Chex for a trail-mix last Christmas, but now I'm back to the gruel.

6. Top | #16
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Just decided to try a baked egg, because I was having commercial potatoes (like mini-tots) that cooked in the oven and didn’t want to do two things.

Small oval dish, a little butter, a tablespoon of milk, cracked in two eggs, sprinkled with scallions (pre-cut, stored in freezer for days like this), a pinch of shredded parmesan and put in the oven next to the tots.

The recipe said 375F for 14 minutes, but my tots were at 425F. Still worked fine. Came out great? I could have reduced the time by 5 min and had a softer egg (next time) but it was nice to have them both happening in the oven.

7. Top | #17
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Depends on the cereal. As long as it's not lucky charms or sugar coated it's probably fine.

I eat bran flakes and top it with raisins and fruit regularly. Almost got out of the habit when my wife bought a few boxes of sweetened Chex for a trail-mix last Christmas, but now I'm back to the gruel.
    We ate a lot of raisin bran, cheerios, corn flakes, and rice krispies as kids. We weren't into the sugary ones, parents just didn't buy any. Breakfast cereal today is usually oatmeal, plain old-fashioned rolled oats.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I suppose that some folks are more genetically tolerant to sugar than others.
    That could be. My mother ate tons of sweets and her diet wasn't ever very healthy by my standards, but she is 93, and until the age of 90, when she started having symptoms of dementia, she was always extremely healthy. Age is the biggest factor in the development of dementia, so I doubt her diet contributed to it. She has lived far more years than anyone in her family. She was always very active, and she continued to walk at least 2 miles a day until she was almost 91. There is plenty of new evidence that suggests exercise is more important than diet or weight. So, who knows....

I do eat lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and fish at least three or four times a week. I eat lean meat in moderation several times a week. Maybe those things allow me to indulge in sweets and processed carbs, like rice, chocolate and cereal. I also count calories and try not to go over 2000 per day. I can eat a little more than that on the day that I do aerobic exercise. My BMI is about 20. I'm happy to have made it to my current age. I only care about quality of life.

My healthy suggestion is to eat more fiber if you're trying to lose weight. Only about 2/3 of the calories in fiber are absorbed. The rest are excreted by the bowels. I eat a lot of fiber. There are a lot of breakfast cereals that are high in fiber. I don't only eat high fiber cereals, and my cereals do have sugar in them, but I don't eat sugar coated cereal or add sugar to the cereal. I've added shredded wheat back in the mix, which is the only commercial cereal I've ever found that has no sugar added.

I don't think sugar is nearly as bad as people currently think, assuming they are able to control their intake of it. Some people can't, as it can be addictive. I would eat oat cereal for breakfast, but I'd be in the bathroom all morning if I did. My husband, on the other hand, eats oatmeal everyday for breakfast. He also indulges in a serving of high fat premium ice cream every night. He's not over weight but he does take a brisk walk of at least two miles every morning and does quite a bit of outdoor chores. He's had well controlled hypertension since the age of 32, most likely it's genetic. He also eats a bag of pistachios every week, a habit he probably got from his late grandmother. She was obese but she lived to the age of 95. Maybe we all need to eat more nuts!

I would agree that there is no perfect diet that works for everyone.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oats porridge. Slightly more than a deciliter of oats, slightly less than 2 deciliters of water, a minuscule amount of salt, mix it, then 2 minutes in the microwave. Quick and healthy breakfast. Add milk or some replacement, and jam or berries (or nothing), depending on your preference.

10. Top | #20
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    Oats porridge. Slightly more than a deciliter of oats, slightly less than 2 deciliters of water, a minuscule amount of salt, mix it, then 2 minutes in the microwave. Quick and healthy breakfast. Add milk or some replacement, and jam or berries (or nothing), depending on your preference.
    Oatmeal is the deal. It is so easy to make go with just about anything. Slice up a banana, add some healthy jam, toss on some nuts. It just works. Cook up 1.5 cups oats to 4 cups water, refrigerate and use whenever. I was never a fan of those prepared oatmeal packets.