Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    You can go retro and tattoo Mother on your chest.

One person gets a tattoo and that is unique. Everybody gets one and it is passé.

Whatever floats your boat. I never liked makeup on women let alone a tattoo.

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    I have none, b/c I don't believe in anything enough to want to have it visibly associated with me forever. Also, I just don't adorn by body with anything but basic clothing and don't put that much effort into that either beyond the priority of comfort. I wear no jewelry, including no wedding ring.

I don't think badly of those with tatts, but also don't think it makes them any more interesting as people either. They've become so prevalent now that getting one is more likely an act of conformity than individuality, and few tats I see are original or creative. It seems like your not allowed to be a bartender anymore unless you have visible tatts.
    This is how I feel about them too. I don't signal via my appearance, including phrases and logos on my clothing, and I can't imagine much that is important enough that I show others, that I'd put it there for the rest of my life.

Most people I know with tattoos have inconspicuous ones that don't really make a difference, and seem like are just something done for the hell of it. Those with conspicuous tats usually seem to be making a statement about the kind of life they want to lead. I don't see those paths cross too often in the white-collar world.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't get the OP notion that they are inherently more "masculine". Maybe it's tied to some sense of "toughness"? But I like tough women (not body builders, though).
    Or associated with higher testosterone, whatever way you want to phrase it.

Note that I am not defending that that should be the perspective, but it is the perspective which I do (mistakenly) hold. It is not bigoted or "judgmental" as well to hold that view. It is simply correct or incorrect.

Whether a person finds any particular cosmetic a turnoff or turnon is also not "judgmental" either, it is a harmless preference. When I wrote the OP I was wondering if those kinds of responses would follow at all, and they had.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    For males I'd say tattoos are an affectation. It implies masculinity. Like buying a Harley and wearing leathers.

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My personal opinions are that the human body is so beautiful that tattoos are defacing great art, like spray painting a Michelangelo.

Also, to me, tattoos remind me of the numbers tattooed on the arms of Jews and other prisoners during WWII.

Also sailors--although not a negative connotation there. Just an aside...

The other part of my personal opinion is that is none of my business if you want to deface your body with ink. Seriously, it makes me sad whenever someone I know gets one or another one. But I still think it's none of my business.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    For males I'd say tattoos are an affectation. It implies masculinity. Like buying a Harley and wearing leathers.
    It did prior to about 15 years ago, b/c that who had more of them (bikers and military).

But today, there is no correspondence to other "masculine" affectations, even among the men who have them (unless you think millennial hipsters with waxed mustaches who camp out on sidewalks for $5 cupcakes are "masculine").

Around 60% of Millennials have at least one, plus they are more concentrated in cites. So, probably closer to 75% of Millennials in major cities today have at least one. IOW, it is now "rebellious" and more a sign of individuality not to get a tattoo.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    It did prior to about 15 years ago, b/c that who had more of them (bikers and military).

But today, there is no correspondence to other "masculine" affectations, even among the men who have them (unless you think millennial hipsters with waxed mustaches who camp out on sidewalks for $5 cupcakes are "masculine").

Around 60% of Millennials have at least one, plus they are more concentrated in cites. So, probably closer to 75% of Millennials in major cities today have at least one. IOW, it is now "rebellious" and more a sign of individuality not to get a tattoo.
    Today it is people following the crows. Musicians, football and basketball players have many visible tattoos. Actors in violent movies.

Tattoos in part today are about a having a 'bad' image. Male of female. Way back when John Lennon wore granny glasses people started wearing granny glasses with no optical power. Beatle boots. Mods and Rockers.

When James Dean rolled a pack of cigarettes up in a T shirt sleeve in a movie, guys did it.

Tattoos are the same old cultural nonsense. Kids and adults both think it makes them unique and an individual. A sense of self.

8. Top | #18
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm always curious as to how many of the tattooed regret their decision. I believe this is known as the Now I Have Regerts syndrome. I see all kinds of unfortunate tattoos in the open swim at the Y, including bad art, faded tattoos (is that because cheap ink was used, or a novice did it?) and just lame decorations. Who is getting all the guys in their 20s to get that barbed wire design around their upper arms? Does it signify something?
    How many of those tattoos dedicated to a lover now refer to an ex who owns half their stuff?
    And the guy with the FUCK tattoo...Three years ago I was waiting at a light in Sandusky, Ohio. One lane over was a driver with his left arm resting on the window rim. That arm was a mass of messaging and dopey art, but dominating it, just above the wrist, was a big bold FUCK. Oh, God, I had so many questions, if we had not been in our cars and if I was brave enough to talk to a guy with a giant FUCK on his arm:
    What does your boss think? Any dress code restrictions at work, like, for instance, long-sleeve shirt with the wrist buttoned up?
    Was it done in the joint, by your cellmate?
    Do your kids get to tell you to fuck off, or call you a fuck, and then tell you they're just reading it off your body?
    Have you ever waited tables and handed some tourists their plate of pancakes with that arm, as in, "Enjoy your hotcakes, folks." ("And my arm is saying FUCCCCKKKKK.")
    You don't go to church, right?
    You voted for Trump, right? Please tell me you voted for Trump. Using that arm to pull the lever.
    That's not the arm you raise to take an oath in, like, court, is it?
    Any plans to change it to BUICK?
    What are your good moods like?

9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    A man is drinking at a bar. The guy newt to him says 'I bet you $100 I have your name tattooed on my dick.

He takes the bet. The guy whips it out and sure enough 'Your Name' is tattooed on his dick.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My coming of age was in the late 80’s and 90’s. I was never into the grunge thing and the whole grunge style was very “mainstream”. I didn’t want to be like everybody else so I have none.