Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: Which Bible

  1. Top | #41
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,522
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,578
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    I was only focusing on how much one can EARN writing books. Suddenly I have an utmost desire to write a book earning a living as these two are doing (if only).
    Indeed so. A lot of money can be made preying on a group's obsession by telling them what they already believe, especially if that belief is contested by others. I once started writing such a book targeting UFO believers but then considered the ethics and dropped it.
    Do the two mentioned, actually believe what they're writing about? Should they both drop it if they do?

    Contesting the belief is not an issue unless... you mean that an individual being contested doesn't really believe what they're writing about and are in it, solely for the money.

    Did you believe what you wanted to write about?
    Last edited by Learner; 12-05-2019 at 01:58 AM.

  2. Top | #42
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,118
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    forget about the hyper-focus on human authorship... what about the hyper-focus that god-authored words mean anyhting at all close to what you think they mean.. when god says "a dog".. your simply human brain thinks of the animal... but god is great and when he says "a dog", he is saying a large nuber of great truths about the human condition that we can not even get close to comprehending.

    This hyper-focus on the idea that we think we know what those words means is fucking hysterical.
    The only difficulty has been translation i.e. an ancient language into a modern one. The Prophets did all the explaining so to speak (accidental pun) and I would assume that people then, knew exactly what they were writing down. Anyway fortunately in this day and age we can study with translation-tools like 'Strongs Concordance' for example, to clarify Hebrew words that have specific meanings when the modern word replacement could mean several different things, which obviously could potentially give the wrong contexts to the verses as often happens. Its an ongoing process of course.
    no, no.. what I mean to say is that the failable humans that "transcribed" gods words into sanskrit made the errors right at the start... the errors that inevitably exist when translated over and over again into other languages just exasperates the problem further. But the hyper-focus on the original words being even in the right ballpark of the correct meaning is what is ridiculous to think.

  3. Top | #43
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,046
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    I thought the historical critical method basically talked itself into irrelevance. How can you study the bible without canonical exegesis?

    "A significant limitation of the historical-critical method is that its hyper-focus on human authorship tends to leave us with a jumble of at best vaguely related texts, each with its own distinctive finality and meaning. We have, in a word, what Isaiah meant and what the author of the book of Job meant and what Mark and Paul meant—but not what God means across the whole of the Bible."

    https://www.wordonfire.org/resources...e-bible/22322/
    The gospels and OT are inherently thin on all sides.

    Framing interpretation in terms of historical context makes the best sense academically. The geo-politics of the day provides the only possible background for understanding who someone like Jesus was about.

    In terms of geo-politics he was not speaking about the end of the world, he was speaking to Jews saying if they did not change their ways they faced destruction.

    Revolution and sedition against Rome was in the air. The Jewish Revolt, Masada. There were a number of Jews claiming to be the prophesied messiah. The Jews were not interested in reformation, they wanted a king and leader to restore them as a power.

  4. Top | #44
    Super Moderator Atheos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Heart of the Bible Belt
    Posts
    2,714
    Archived
    5,807
    Total Posts
    8,521
    Rep Power
    64
    I would go so far as to say that the pipe dream such Jews of that day had in a "restoration to power" was borne of a gross misrepresentation of history as told by their fabricated holy books. The world-leading superpower Kingdom of Israel under Saul, David and Solomon such as was described in the books of Samuel, Kings and Chronicles never existed. We have abundant archaeological evidence of what kingdoms actually were in power during the time periods in question and "Israel" barely makes a blip on the radar. These histories are at best huge exaggerations of the roles of tribal chieftains. Great kingdoms such as are described in those books would have left abundant archaeological evidence of their existence and influence in the ancient world.

    It's important to note that the best archaeologists don't begin with an agenda (such as proving or disproving the bible). They explore with a desire to find evidence of what actually did happen and hope that the truth can be found. So far the evidence is damning to the biblical accounts.

  5. Top | #45
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,522
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,578
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheos View Post

    It's important to note that the best archaeologists don't begin with an agenda (such as proving or disproving the bible). They explore with a desire to find evidence of what actually did happen and hope that the truth can be found. So far the evidence is damning to the biblical accounts.
    I doubt its damning to the biblical accounts. Each day that excavations and biblical studies are done, the more it seem mo to favour the biblical accounts.

    Example: the exodus is more likely from Egypt to Saudi-Arabia because there is evidence for Israelites landing there. Now you also have to put into account that the Isaraelites were nomadic for a period of time. Not much time to stay-put to chilsel out their life stories on great big stones to rival the Egyptians or the Sumerians let alone be carried around.

    (sorry its rather brief, can't fully engage this very moment)

  6. Top | #46
    Super Moderator Atheos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Heart of the Bible Belt
    Posts
    2,714
    Archived
    5,807
    Total Posts
    8,521
    Rep Power
    64
    Damning. From the flood myth to the mighty kingdom of Solomon over which the queen of Sheba allegedly gushed "The half has not been told," fact-finding geologists, historians and archaeologists have (without intention) debunked dozens of claims of biblical scripture. There was no mass exodus of Israelite slaves from Egypt at any time in the historical record. There was never a period of 10 devastating plagues such as are described in the Exodus myth. There was never a tower of Babel marking the epicenter of a sudden burst of world languages appearing practically overnight. There was never a conquest of Canaan as described in Joshua. There is no record of the great kingdom as described in Samuel/Kings/Chronicles. The earliest archaeologically supported Israelite history begins around the time of Nehemiah. Nebuchadnezzar didn't go batshit crazy for 7 years and he sure as hell never became a believer in Yahweh.

    It's easy to make up historical fiction. What the writers of these fictions in the bible couldn't do was plant archaeological evidence that would support their wild stories once the technology to do carbon dating became available.

    And that's really at the crux of the matter. Some elements of historical fiction can be verified, but that doesn't mean the extraordinary claims of biblical writers is true. The existence of Atlanta or the Civil War doesn't vindicate the existence of Scarlett O'Hara or Rhett Butler.

  7. Top | #47
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,046
    Rep Power
    17
    The Hebrews were a minor player in a tough neighborhood. They got picked on and bullied.

  8. Top | #48
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    22,864
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    33,341
    Rep Power
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    I was only focusing on how much one can EARN writing books. Suddenly I have an utmost desire to write a book earning a living as these two are doing (if only). Lion has already made a thread with the liar dispute anyway.

    https://talkfreethought.org/showthre...pologetic-book
    Happy to continue there.
    I think you have a delusional idea of the money authors make.

    To get $10 per book sold, would imply a cover price of about $100/copy.

    Dawkins likely gets around $2 per paperback book sold; and maybe $3 per hardback.

    Typically, an author can expect to receive the following royalties: Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold. Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.
    https://www.alanjacobson.com/writers...of-publishing/

  9. Top | #49
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Between two cities
    Posts
    2,522
    Archived
    56
    Total Posts
    2,578
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    I was only focusing on how much one can EARN writing books. Suddenly I have an utmost desire to write a book earning a living as these two are doing (if only). Lion has already made a thread with the liar dispute anyway.

    https://talkfreethought.org/showthre...pologetic-book
    Happy to continue there.
    I think you have a delusional idea of the money authors make.

    To get $10 per book sold, would imply a cover price of about $100/copy.
    I didn't say Dawkins gets 100% of sales revenue which would obviously mean the publisher forks out the costs and mindlessly gets zero% in return. His book generated more than $8 million in 2014.

    But you don't see the point I was making I suppose, in the below.....


    Dawkins likely gets around $2 per paperback book sold; and maybe $3 per hardback.

    Typically, an author can expect to receive the following royalties: Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold. Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.
    https://www.alanjacobson.com/writers...of-publishing/
    So we can put his $2 per book to scale, making Dawkins earn $6 million in revenue just in 2014. How much therefore has his ONE BOOK ALONE made to this day, as compared to Strobels accumulated revenue ... ALL his book royalties combined giving Strobel $8 million in total?

    One could wonder - how much ALL of Dawkins books in total has made him, to this date!

    Strobel sells books like everyone else. What is the argument?
    Last edited by Learner; 12-14-2019 at 12:46 PM.

  10. Top | #50
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    5,696
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    18,672
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    The Hebrews were a minor player in a tough neighborhood. They got picked on and bullied.
    As you say, it was a tough neighborhood. Every group got picked on and bullied, some to the point of being killed off completely. Some "picked on and bullied" and finally killed off by the Hebrews. We know about the woes of the Hebrews because they survived and their writings of their woes at the hands of others (and their triumph over and suppression of others) survived. We don't know about the woes of some of the groups because they or their writings didn't survive.

Similar Threads

  1. The Bible
    By steve_bank in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-16-2019, 09:47 PM
  2. the dog ate the bible
    By BH in forum Freethought Humor
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM
  3. Murder in the bible
    By phands in forum General Religion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
  4. Most Ignored Bible Teachings
    By ideologyhunter in forum General Religion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-22-2016, 03:52 PM
  5. The Bible
    By DLH in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 06-04-2015, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •