Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Would A Quantum Foam Impact The Speed of Light

1. Top | #11
    Member ***
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    'Top scientists' generally accept the theory of relativity as a reasonable description of the universe so accept that gravity is a warping of spacetime.
    But how and why? Two masses attract each other. That's all I really firmly understand about it, and that's more than most of the general public.

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Penguin View Post

Exactly. We know how it effects stuff. We know of but can't exactly explain dark matter. I have heard that gravity isn't instantaneous, so it the sun somehow magically ceased to exist the planets would not all lose its gravitational pull at the same time. Also that gravity travels at the speed of light, however that is conceptualized (is this true?).
    The LIGO interferometer measurements pretty much shows that gravity does indeed travel at c.
    But I don't think even the top scientists know exactly what gravity is. Which is cool because at first glance it seems like such a simple question.
    'Top scientists' generally accept the theory of relativity as a reasonable description of the universe so accept that gravity is a warping of spacetime.
    I'm not certain. No one understands the tides, so if they don't understand that, how can they understand gravity?

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    But how and why? Two masses attract each other. That's all I really firmly understand about it, and that's more than most of the general public.
    Mass bends spacetime creating gravity wells, which determine the trajectories and orbits of objects?

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I could never get my mind around quantum physics especially in relation to light. I'm not sure the top scientists truly have this solved. I think its one of those mysteries of science still to be settled, like the basic question of what exactly is Gravity and how does it work. The Gravity question is my favourite because it seems like such a simple question but winds up being very much not so.
    We do not know what gravity 'is'. We have models that jive with experiment and observation.
    Exactly. We know how it effects stuff. We know of but can't exactly explain dark matter. I have heard that gravity isn't instantaneous, so it the sun somehow magically ceased to exist the planets would not all lose its gravitational pull at the same time. Also that gravity travels at the speed of light, however that is conceptualized (is this true?).

But I don't think even the top scientists know exactly what gravity is. Which is cool because at first glance it seems like such a simple question.
    That leads to a bigger question. What is reality? IMO the question is meaningless across all science. All we have is observation and experiment with models. There is a saying The map is not the countryside'.
    Sometimes when driving around or go hiking we conflatd map and physical reality. To me science is a map not reality.