Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Less Religion - More Acceptance of Evolution?

1. Top | #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    And while ignorance is never a good plan, there are many people whose lives make fear a perfectly justified position. If you live pay-check to pay-check, and your employer has the legal right to sack you without reason or notice, fear is certainly justified. That alone likely contributes significantly to the difference in religiosity between the USA and the rest of the developed world.
    U!S!A!. U!S!A! U!S!A! (sorry. first post of the day.)

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member
    A few years back I looked at the home sites of the major protestant sects. There was a genial move towards accepting evolution as part of god's plan.

The first was the RCC.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been told that evolution is just another religion....

4. Top | #14
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I've been told that there's a monster living in Loch Ness, that aliens are kidnapping humans and probing their backsides, and that the position of the planets at the time of a person's birth dictates their personality.

Being told don't make things so.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    I've been told that there's a monster living in Loch Ness, that aliens are kidnapping humans and probing their backsides, and that the position of the planets at the time of a person's birth dictates their personality.

Being told don't make things so.
    Yeah, humour is not always conveyed well in print.

Fixed:

[an attempt at ironic humour] I've been told that evolution is just another religion....[/an attempt at ironic humour]

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I would say that decreased religiousity should lead to increased acceptance of evolution. Of course not all religious people are evolution deniers, far from it. But creationism and its various incarnations are religiously motivated pseudosciences. Without a religious belief that rejects evolution, there is little reason to deny it.

Interestingly, pre-war Iraq was in a similar situation, but has swung sharply to hard-line religion in the face of the threat of Americanization
    I think you got the causality wrong here. They say that we (Sweden) is among the most "Americanized" non-Anglophone country in the world, yet religion is still a marginal phenomenon here.

Historically we had a lot of German cultural influence, but since after WW2 or so, we moved culturally toward the Anglo-American cultural sphere. Still no hint of increased religiousity. If anything, it has declined during those 70 or so years.

And I wouldn't say that Kuwait or the UAE are bastions os secularism. Sure, you can find atheists there, but they are not the norm at all.

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    For some reason those of us atheists here ended up without religion and a tendency to rational thought.

The problem appears to be we are in a small minority. Even without religion there would be a vocal opposition to evolution. The idea we cam from apes. which we actually did not.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well we are apes.

Without religion, people would accept evolution to a higher degree. But irreligious people can also mix it in with pseudoscientific concepts like souls etc.

9. Top | #19
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
    I would say that decreased religiousity should lead to increased acceptance of evolution. Of course not all religious people are evolution deniers, far from it. But creationism and its various incarnations are religiously motivated pseudosciences. Without a religious belief that rejects evolution, there is little reason to deny it.

Interestingly, pre-war Iraq was in a similar situation, but has swung sharply to hard-line religion in the face of the threat of Americanization
    I think you got the causality wrong here. They say that we (Sweden) is among the most "Americanized" non-Anglophone country in the world, yet religion is still a marginal phenomenon here.
    Sure, but it wasn't something Swedes saw as a threat, and it wasn't imposed on you by an occupying force.
    Historically we had a lot of German cultural influence, but since after WW2 or so, we moved culturally toward the Anglo-American cultural sphere. Still no hint of increased religiousity. If anything, it has declined during those 70 or so years.

And I wouldn't say that Kuwait or the UAE are bastions os secularism. Sure, you can find atheists there, but they are not the norm at all.
    They are bastions of secularism by comparison to their neighbours.

My hypothesis is that it's perceived threats that cause religiosity. Americanisation was seen as a threat by Iraqis. It was not seen as a threat by Swedes.

Different people are scared by different things. I was in no way suggesting that Americanisation was always or even usually a cause of religiosity.

10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If we are from apes, why are there still apes? Huh? But if Adam was from dust, why is there still dust, and if Eve was from ribs, why are there still ribs? Huh? Huh? (Attempting to line up coffee shop diatribes without doing any real homework. I believe in matching my literacy to the going rate.)